Devastation in South Dakota

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

On June 18th, a tornado ripped through my cousin’s family farm. This particular ranch is the headquarters for the “business”. My great uncle, his wife and two boys were home at the time. John, Dan and Eileen made it to the basement in time. Si who is in his upper 80’s wasn’t quick enough and rode out the storm in the hallway of the main house. Thankfully everyone is OK. There were only a couple things on the place that weren’t damaged. I’ve talked to my cousin every couple days since. You can hear the overwhelming load of work he sees in the future. He said yesterday, the reality is the buildings, equipment and livestock can all be replaced. The saddest part may be losing all the trees. It takes forever to get a good set of trees out in central SD.

I’ve had some of my fondest memories on this place hunting pheasants and deer. Hanging out in the shop or the hole in the wall for a cold one. Anyone who has ever been lucky enough to cross paths with this family knows you will be shown a good time and fed like a king/queen. If you get a spare moment, shoot them a good thought or two. They could use it right now.

kooty
    Keymaster

Here are some pics.

Attachments:
    1. building5.jpg

2. house1.jpg

3. building3.jpg

4. bins3.jpg

kooty
    Keymaster

More pics

Attachments:
    1. trucks1.jpg

2. trees1.jpg

3. pickup1.jpg

4. House2.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

My heart sinks looking at those pics, John. IT would take a lot of strength to roll up one’s sleeves and start digging into the the clean up. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Was this the one by Wesstington Springs? My buddy has a farm in that area and it just missed them.

Best wishes to your family putting their lives back together.

kooty
    Keymaster

This tornado hit about an hour before Springs was hit.

kooty
    Keymaster

Here is actual video. It doesn’t do justice to the aftermath.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Wow! That is devastation.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I agree with James – those photos make my heart sink. Also, whoever took that video of the tornado has more guts (and/or less brains) that I do. Wow.

kooty
    Keymaster

The storm chasers were kind enough to share the footage with me. At the point where he was backing down the road, things could have been all good. But Ma Nature had other plans. I think she was just adjusting her aim to center up the place. Again, everyone is alive and well. Stressed, but well.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

John, best wishes to your family for strength. For many people, its in the news and gone. But when your dealing with the aftermath, most will never realize the endurance needed.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Holy Crap.

Even with a front end loader where does a person start?
    I would have to leave until most of it was cleaned out otherwise I would be digging through everything looking for a personal effect.

…and that’s about all a person can say…at least no one was injured.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Tough to look through those pics Kooty. Glad everyone is alright. Prayers go out to them as they piece the ranch back together.

Eric

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    SW Michigan

Glad to hear everyone is ok. Thoughts and prayers to everyone involved.

jerry b
    western WI

I saw some photos in the Dakota Newsgroup Newsletter but never put 2+2 together. Never an easy thing to go thru. MY thoughts and prayers to you and yours- – -jerr

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Thoughts and prayers out to the family. That video is crazy

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.