Depth Counter Reels

• Nate Feuerhelm

Looking for input on the Cabela’s Depthmaster Line Counter reels. Looking for some reels to use for planer boards only (no Leadcore).
    I know that there’s better options if you spend more dough but I’ll only be running them occasionally. Just wondering if anyone that has used them has any input good or bad.

slawrenz
    Twin Cities

they are only passable, I have six, the 2 problems I have had are:
    1. Drag goes from nothing to locked down in about 1/4 turn of the star
    2. Line counters stick a lot, so I have to be careful resetting them.

With that said at $30 each I have caught a lot of fish on them, my dream is to replace them with Shimano Tekotas but big difference between $180 for all 6 and $180 each.

Cody Klebs

I echo what slawrenz says. My cousin terse started sticking constantly, drag is terrible. For $30, you get what you pay for. I have been slowly swapping mine out with okuma cold waters. They are a much nicer reel.

mojogunter

I would agree 100% with what the others have said about the cabelas reels. I would also stay away from the sealine reels too. They aren’t cheap and I have had two and they are a POS. I am slowly switching to all tekotas. They are good reels but costly when you need 10 of them.

bclii
    MN/AZ

Looking for input on the Cabela’s Depthmaster Line Counter reels. Looking for some reels to use for planer boards only (no Leadcore).
    I know that there’s better options if you spend more dough but I’ll only be running them occasionally. Just wondering if anyone that has used them has any input good or bad.

PM me, I’ll sell you new Daiwa accu plus lc reels for a couple of bucks more than the cabelas brand.

roger

Like everyone says,, drags are junk!

Al Case

I’ve replaced all of my Depthmasters with Okuma Convectors and Magda Pro’s. I haven’t used them much yet, but they seem to be a much higher quality than the Depthmasters and have very good reviews from salmon guides on the Great Lakes. The price is not much if any higher than the regular price of the Depthmasters if you buy them on eBay like I do.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

I just bought four of the Magda Pro 15 and they, too have a drag that goes from zero to tight very quickly. I have not caught many fish on them, so I don’t know how they perform just yet. Hoping to give them a real workout soon.

Bought these exclusively for crawler harnesses…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I always recommend Diawa Accu-depths. A lot cheaper than Sealines but the same dimensions. I have 4 (two different generations) and haven’t worn any of them out.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

I asked this recently as I’m trying out leadcore and overall trolling for lakers this summer in Canada and I grabbed 2 Daiwa Accu Depths for $60 ea on Amazon. Seem well made

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

I have 4 Daiwa Accu-Depths, going on 9 years now and I do a lot of trolling and have had no problems with them. I would buy them again

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.