Need input from you experts

• joef
    La Crosse, WI

Okay, the best stand on the whole farm i hunt in MN is located where a field corners up the the woods, the section of woods is essentially a huge valley with many deer in it. Ever since i hunted at this farm, this field was part of the farm so i always walked through the field to get to this stand located about 20 yards into the woods.

Last year the field was sold off, this made getting to the stand more challenging, the only ways to get to it are to walk just inside the fence through the woods on a major deer trail that is lined with scrapes/rubs/deer heaven. I hated walking that trail and felt like every time i walked it drove more deer out of the area but it was the only practical way to get to the stand.

This year i planned to call the new land owner of the field and ask him if i could use the field to access the corner, he said no…this was disapointing since it is only about 250 yard walk through soy beans.

The only other way to the stand is to hike up a gigantic bluff through tons of bedding area, this would take at least 30 minutes and i would be dying/sweating by the time i get to the stand, not to mention spooked many deer. I could come up a logging road through the valley, but again, this is where most of the deer that i am hunting are living.

The only practical way to get to the stand is through that trail or near the trail. Any tips on how i can leave the least amount of disturbance? I could trail blaze but usually i feel like that is worse as it is far noisier and i end up grabbing/brushing up against sticks ect and leaving more scent. Thoughts?

Also, i only hunt this stand when it is PRIME time as to stay out as much as possible.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

I would brush a trail out next to the deer trail. Don’t go through the bedding area! If you can, be in the tree about 45 min before light so that you can let things calm down. But this might be a really good evening spot if the deer are eating the soybeans. You might bump a lot of deer in the morning that are still feeding in the field.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Kinda depends on when you are hunting. If they are evening hunts stay clear of the bedding area at all costs, that’s where the deer are in the afternoon. If you are morning hunting access through the bedding area, there should not be any deer in the bedding area in the early morning.

joef
    La Crosse, WI

Typically it is an evening spot, i never bump deer in the afternoon because they bed a good distance away from the trail. In the morning i have bumped them, like you guys said, the best way is early, like really early at least 1.5 hrs before light, they feed their way through the beans early in the morning and come by the stand to bed down.

I think i’m going to try to spray down as much as possible before walking on it, prob try to find a nice cow pie to stomp on.

my buddy hunted it this morning and said there were 10-15 scrapes on the 250 yard trail

abster71
    crawford county WI

I Have the same situation and only hunt that stand when I’m gonna all day sit for the rut if you bump deer going in oh well hopefully maybe that will move a few deer around last year showed me this when another guy hunting the same area was leaving at 10:30am and the big guys were starting to move at 11:00am worked great for me. Good luck

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m a FIRM believer in cow sh*t. I cross a cattle pasture on the way to one of my box blinds. Stomp all around in it!!

Same thing down at a buddy’s place. Only thing there, they are usually weaning calves about deer season(rut). Some of the old gals get REALLY short tempered about then. I have an extra giddy-up in my step and those black blobs tend to scare me occasionally. Ya, I’m scared of the dark.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I agree with Ricco.. I’d brush cut a big ol’ path that makes it easy and quiet for you to get through.. The deer activity will probly be the same but at least you can sneak through it. Or,, I wouldn’t call the land owner again, I’d stop in so he can see your face and know that your intentions are only to get to and from your stand, not to make a deer drive through his field each time you hunt. Good luck!

huntalot60
    wisconsin

I would drag a scent rag in behind. Get in early. I had a spot it was hard to get into. Scent drag behind me and alot of bucks and does would follow it right up.

gobbler
    Central, MN

I face the same dilemma right now on a piece that is surrounded by cut corn fields on 3 sides. Fortunately around Central MN we don’t need to worry about the Ridges like down in SW WI. So walking thru the hard way isn’t half as bad.

However, I usually walk on the edge of the cut cornfields most of the time (especially in the morning). I know it’s the neighbors property but it’s not posted and until someone says I can’t do it, I will keep on doing it. I’ve taken the same approach as you and called for permission but I always get “No” for an answer. I find it better to ask for forgiveness than permission in this situation.

*On a side note, I only do this when the land I’m walking on is not posted. I do not walk on property that is posted.

woodenfrog
    se mn

I have very good luck with fox urine.I swear by it. Many times deer will follow your trail right to your stand being curious.

johnee

Is it feasible to cut a walking trail either right beside the fence, or in another location nearby that is not directly on the deer trail?

By “cut a trail” I mean remove just enough branches and brush to be able to walk in without making a lot of noise and while avoiding brushing against trees, grass, etc and leaving scent. A lot of times this can be accomplished just with hand tools and while making very little noise. Depending on how thick the cover is, you might have to zig-zag around to get an easy route, but usually it can be done.

Then I’d just wear rubber no-scent boots and the biggest thing would be that I’d plan to arrive very early and progress very slowly to the stand making minimal noise.

Obviously, the longer-term solution is to go in during the off-season and cut multiple walking trails in to the stand. If the deer start to use these trails, so be it. What I’ve been doing over time is to cut trails and then spray broadleaf killer in the spring so only grass grows on the trails. That leaves a nice, silent walking trail that can be used with no disturbance even though the deer also use it.

Grouse

joef
    La Crosse, WI

The trail is through dense sumac that grows right up the the field so it is instantly pretty nasty to cut a trail next to it. I have decided to use it this year and walk very carefully and try to spray down as much as i can and not touch anything.

For next year, the guys and I have decided to get the chain saw out and cut a nice trial right down the fence line that we can ease into the stand with. I think the deer will prefer to still use the old trail that is about 20 yards into the sumac and over all will be a better situation. I appreciate everyone’s input. It is always frustrating knowing where the deer are and not being able to get into a position to hunt them

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.