2013 South Dakota Buck

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

It wasn’t that long ago when my deer season started about the 3rd weekend in September. Oh sure, I’d practice with my bow a bit here and there, but the reality is I just didn’t live and breathe deer hunting back then. Fast forward 4 years, my deer season now starts in late April in central South Dakota. Dad and I start working our ground, putting out fresh Nutra Deer Antler Builder and soon after we plant our corn and soy beans. We have about 25 acres of food plots. This year I planted winter rye in the spring as a cover crop in a plot that we have had problems getting anything to grow. It wasn’t a complete failure, but it didn’t do well. Our other plots look amazing. Corn that was 8 foot tall with lots of big ears. It’s amazing what SD can produce if they just get a little rain. We also started deploying our trail cameras at this time. It’s fun watching the different bucks and fawns grow throughout the summer.

As summer progressed, I was shooting my bow and checking camera pics regularly. On one of the first pulls in June I spotted what looked to be a start to a great buck. I love the anticipation before a chip pull. You just never know what you’ll see. This buck had character. He was wide with a distinct split in his right brow time. Great only 2.5 more months to wait before I can hunt him. This buck turned out to be the most consistent on all our cameras throughout the summer. He was here just about every day. I started studying his travel patterns as best I could and determined he visited the water tank up in the CRP the most often.

I headed back to SD the week prior to Labor Day weekend. I wanted to try some more winter rye in our problem plot. I also planted a couple apple trees in this plot. I had the idea to run a sprinkler off the well spicket we have close by. I decided to try some radishes at this time too. So I disked up the plot and then ran the harrow over it to remove most of the garage. We hand spread the radishes and rye around the apple trees. Turned on the sprinkler and crossed my fingers. Well, wouldn’t you know it, both are growing very healthy right now. The radishes probably won’t produce this year since I got them in so late, but now I have a plan for next year. I pulled the camera chips again on this trip, again confirming my #1 buck was hitting the water tank regularly. Along with every other deer on our place. They drank the tank empty this summer. In 2012, when I installed the tank, they drank less than 300 gallons. I filled the tank almost to the top, probably 280 gallons ish. I also moved a stand on this trip that would give me a good morning spot to hunt late season. It’s now about 33 days until my first hunt. Everything is set!

Well, almost everything. I decided last minute to get a new bow this fall. I went down to Midwest Archery in St. Michael and shot the new Bowtech Experience. I instantly fell in love. I ordered up my bow and a week before the season I was shooting out to 40 yards with 2-3” groups. Perfect. I was able to utilize my new weapon on a doe in Minnesota just to confirm I had everything just right. There, now I’m ready!!

Jump to October 2nd. I’m sitting in my garage in Minnesota looking at my truck full of stuff. I have to work a half day at one of our plants then I’m off to Dad’s for my first sit. Wouldn’t you know it, a weather front of all weather fronts is coming in. I figured being on the leading edge of this could be very helpful. I was running a little behind when I got to Dad’s so I decided to forgo the usual ritual of a shower, blah, blah, blah. The wind was PERFECT for this stand. A NE wind, which never happens, is the ultimate wind as almost all the deer that frequent this spot come from the north. My shooting window is facing east overlooking my water tank. As I trekked into my stand, I had the weirdest sense that the deer could be on their feet already and I need to get in extremely quietly.

As I crawled into the box blind for the first time this fall I got that feeling of being home. It just felt right! I positioned the video camera, got the bow hung, arrow knocked etc…. My setup would be perfect when #1 buck would show himself from the north. I had good shooting lanes to 35 yards. However the trail camera pics showed most likely I wouldn’t be shooting over 20 yards. I was barely settled when 4 does and a nubbin buck came rushing in. They milled around eating grass and getting a drink. They came from the north, just like they were supposed to. Perfect, my setup was good to go. As the does filtered off to the south and west they hit my scent cone/entrance trail. Boom they stopped and started sniffing. They knew something wasn’t right, but the Nose Jammer was doing its job. I really love this product. It fooled two coyotes last fall for me and I became a believer! Most of the does fed off, but one bedded down about 35-40 yards southwest of my blind. She was right in my scent coned. Why she stayed is beyond me, but she would be there for a couple hours.

The rain/mist started and the wind decided to kick up a bit more. I’m guessing it was gusting to 25-30 mph. My windows were covered in rain drops so I couldn’t see to the north any longer. This was really frustrating because my #1 buck was bedded down less than 200 yards from me. I watched him stand up, stretch and lay back down several times before the rains ruined my vision. North and west of him about 300 yards were two other shooter bucks. I could tell the one was from the neighbor’s place. He had recently sent pics. He would easily be a bow shooter along with another heavy looking 5×5. Neither of which I had pics all summer.

The closer to sunset we got, the worse the weather was getting. I told myself I wouldn’t be shooting past 20 yards with the wind gusts. I was peering through the north window wishing I had installed wiper blades. I decided to check behind me(west) to see if anything was moving. And then it happened, I spotted 3 bucks headed my way…. From the southwest. NO!!! This can’t be happening. They can’t be coming from this direction. Well, I had turned on my Ozonics by now and it was going to get its first true test. The deer were spooky in this wind and they crossed the 200 yards of CRP pretty quickly. I had hung my bow up because I didn’t think any of the was a shooter. The biggest deer had a bunch of weeds/creeping jennings draping from his left side. I grabbed the video camera trying to get some footage. When I zoomed in on the deer around 80 yards away I realized I had the wrong tool in my hand. This buck was definitely a shooter. I put the camera in the corner and grabbed my bow again.

About then the deer headed my way again. Until they hit my scent cone. All 3 put on the brakes and started sniffing. They knew something was up, but they didn’t just bust out of there like I expected. The deer stood in the same spot for at least 10 minutes trying to figure out what was going on. Finally they started to head to me. Then they hit my trail and stopped again. Another 10 minutes trying to figure what they smelled. Luckily I had covered my boots in cow manure on my walk in. Finally at about 7:09PM the big buck made his move. He was the first to come in. When he got to 12 yards I drew. He quartering slightly to me so I put my pin right on the back edge of his front shoulder and let it fly.

As you know, when the shot comes, everything seems to happen at light speed. My nockturnal didn’t light, but I distinctly remember the mule kick. I was sure I had a pass through. I was of course intently watching my buck. He waivered hard at about 40 yards, but kept going. At about 80 yards he ran in a circle. He was dead from the time he was hit, but he just didn’t know it. After having a bad experience in 2012, I didn’t start texting my buddies until I was sure the buck was down for good. I text Dad about 7:20, “Bring the Mule at 7:45, be sure the back end is empty and bring me a beer.”

I knew the buck was down, but felt I had to wait the obligatory 30 minutes so I packed as slowly as possible. I started out at the point of impact, blood everywhere. I crossed the fence into the neighbor’s CRP. Really good blood, ah heck, I know where he is laying. I’m done messing around. I walked right up to him. No ground shrinkage. I took a pic and text a couple buddies. My phone instantly started ringing. After a couple quick calls it was time to drag him back to the fence. Dad had showed up with the Mule and waited at the fence line. Since I’ve never field dressed a deer that I was going to shoulder mount I was dragging ALL of him. Needless to say, I was winded a bit when I reached the fence. I asked the ol’ man why he didn’t come help. He said he asked but I must not have heard him over my heavy breathing. Haha. We loaded the beast in the Mule and met Mom for some picture taking. It was a great time for all of us! Sadly the weather front moved in overnight and we never did get a chance for any daylight pictures. Oh well, the memory is burned into my mind and he will be gracing my wall in about 6 months.

I can’t thank my parents and wife enough for supporting what has went from being a hobby to a passion. I’ve learned so much from guys like Bob Bergeson about food plots, Ricco and his weekly tips and so many others. The information I’ve learned here has really fueled my passion for deer and deer hunting. So while I may have arrowed this deer, I feel like many of you have a part in this deer also, so Thank You!

kooty
    Keymaster

A few more pics from the trip.

kooty
    Keymaster

The first pic is where the deer were suppose to come from. The 2nd pic is where they came from. The CRP is so tall all I could see were the ears on the does as they crossed.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Love it! Congrats again bud! My turn

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

A story like that never gets old. To do it on your home property with your family around only makes it better.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Congrats Kooty!

todders
    Shoreview, MN

Congradulations buddy! It is so cool how well they were pattered and how one of those situations that is supposed to come together …actually did! Great shot Kooty and nice read.

timmy

Your story makes it sound easy, but we all know it SURE WASN’T.

Congrats on a hell of a nice buck, pal. You earned it!

thegun
    mn

Congrats!
    Thanx for sharing.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

Congrats on a great buck Kooty. Great read!!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Awesome story And a great Buck! It was great to hear the story 1st hand today the smile said it all! Congratulations again!

wild_thang
    Minnesota

Congratulations Kooty!!!! It’s all so worth it in the end!!

kooty
    Keymaster

Here is a short clip of the tiny amount of video I got as they were coming in. Wish I could have gotten more, but it just didn’t work out.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

awesome buck Congrats on successfully killing a buck that you put so much work toward

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Great job on a Dandy of a buck

joef
    La Crosse, WI

Beautiful buck! Love the camera footage and the pics from the blind, definitely helps paint the story. Congratulations!

gobbler
    Central, MN

Kooty-
    AWESOME READ!!!
    Congrats on a great buck. You definitely deserved him after the time and energy you have invested. The improvements you have done to the farm to manage the deer will only get better. You’ve created a deer stomping ground. Well done my friend, well done.

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

Great shot on a great buck.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Congrats Kooty! Great buck!

ET

Jason Beaulieu
    Wisconsin

That deer is a STUD! Great read and even better shooting! The clip may be short but always fun to add another element to things, now you have something more for memory rather than still shots……. ok, the mount in the house might be a touch better than a picture….. Congrats!

kooty
    Keymaster

I’m pretty confident this was my buck in 2012. He put on a lot of inches this year. Further proof good food and minerals will do a lot for these deer, but another year of growth is so key.

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

Very cool story and an even better hunt. Love it when a plan comes together like that. But one question still remains….did Roger bring you that beer you requested?

kooty
    Keymaster

Haha. Like the best father he has always been, Yes. Roger is the man!!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.