From The Tree – Live updates from IDO members

• devel

Phone is blowing up from buddies surrounded by chasing bucks. Deer have been on their feet moving and shaking. Hopefully I can sneak out before we get invaded by Orange…but if not I’ll be out anyways!

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Been hunting 8 days straight 12 to 13 hours a day . Haven’t seen it in the area im hunting . Have seen a few working scrapes . But I am hunting public land so maybe more nocturnal ??

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I don’t know Tony, when it came to things like your seeing, What I did was change positions and hunted timber/field edges. It sounds off the wall but places Id see more deer were denser growths of smaller shorter trees of 8″ and less in dia. like young box Alders and soft maples. It was creek bottom growth but maybe their in denser growths of smaller trees next to field edges. When i was hunting rolling hills and bluffs I seen them bedded down, walking and laying up in the deeper cuts, ravines and hillsides where they can see along ways looking for does that may be coming in. I know bigger bucks don’t hang with groups of smaller bucks when the does do start to come into estrous so maybe try to find a dense growth of anything next to a field edge where does can hide that aren’t ready yet. The timbers are probably pretty clean with little under growth if its like the timbers I hunted. I used to see bucks bedded down and kicked them up along fencelines and areas of narrow dense undergrowth next to open fields, where they can hide and feel safe and also see does. Maybe just sit in an area of dense growth and try a doe can and see if anything moves instead of putting up a tree stand. You’ve got the feel for the neck of the woods your hunting so you know what isn’t working. These are just ideas to maybe give you other choices Tony and just my thoughts. Its been a different fall this year and it makes me wonder if things are in full swing yet or still winding up. Good luck Tony.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Live from the mountains, another nice Colorado buck is down

xecute

Been hunting straight minus 1 day since the 1st of November. I am on my deer hunting binge and don’t go back to work until the 18th!

I hunt north metro area.. Lino Lake/Columbus area.

Every day on stand I have seen chasing. The last two mornings and the 1st have been the most aggressive. Took the evening off to attend to some things today but back at it steady tomorrow for another 10 days straight!

Couple shots from the stand.

devel

Awesome shot! I love the sun flare over the bow!

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Finally getting on some deer . Passed a 8 today probably will kick myself for it . Good day all in all .

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

That is a nice mule deer Randy, as good as I’ve seen when I was in Wyoming, not bad at all. how many yrd. shot?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hang in there Tony, season isn’t over yet and there’s enough time to get a bigger one.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Passed 2 small bucks so far. Had old doe with fawns pick me off. Again. At 80 yards through brush. Ridiculous.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Shoot her in the face Joel! That will teach her! Lol

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

These winds and warm weather are killing the deer movement today only 1 buck and 2 does so far. Shooting in the area has been minimal compared to past years

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Passed 2 small bucks so far. Had old doe with fawns pick me off. Again. At 80 yards through brush. Ridiculous.

Joel… You have to give up on the turkey calls The deer will spot you every time

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

That is a nice mule deer Randy, as good as I’ve seen when I was in Wyoming, not bad at all. how many yrd. shot?

Dan, that buck was taken by a friend. I had to stay behind and work they took 4 mule bucks and 2 cow elk. Nephew got his first elk. They passed up a few small bulls and the two bull tags went empty.

devel

Deer movement was very high in my area down in the MN River Valley. Bucks were dogging does all weekend. The hunters around us had the same thing to say. 3 mature deer were all harvested the last 3 days prior to the guns season. They also reported seeing small bucks chasing does all weekend.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Ended up seeing 2 mature bucks last night for a total of 7 bucks Saturday. This morning we saw 6 1st rack bucks 3 were chasing like crazy. Like every year for the last 15 I’m wondering where all of last years bucks that we passed are today

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

Quote:

Ended up seeing 2 mature bucks last night for a total of 7 bucks Saturday. This morning we saw 6 1st rack bucks 3 were chasing like crazy. Like every year for the last 15 I’m wondering where all of last years bucks that we passed are today

Same deal over..the guys at Four Season’s in Red Wing think that huge snow storm this spring did in a bunch. I have 8 cameras and have only one buck over 2 1/2 years old. Granted the 2 1/2 I have here have some great genetics!

deertracker

Finally have a smart phone and can post on this thread.

In one of our best box blinds today. First time chasing deer this year. We have been banging on the duck so far. Also trying to get my 11 year old his first deer.

DT

deertracker

My son just had an 8 in the scope but got buck fever. lol
    DT

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

Come on Zack, I’m pullin’ for you….don’t forget to breathe.

Good luck to all 3 of you.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

My view for the evening. Sitting with an old buddy of mine. His place is a mecca.

deertracker

Swirching it up and sitting in a thicker section of woods tonight. Here is one of my shooting lanes.
    Dt

deertracker

This is creepier than walking back from your stand in the dark in wolf country. My son fell asleep and his right eye is still open and his eye keeps moving back and forth.
    DT

deertracker

New location today. Found out why our numbers are way down. Neibors are baiting pretty heavy.
    DT

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Im still hunting hard here . Wow what a day got caught in that storm the rolled through. Saw some nice deer this morning . Hopefully can put it all together tomorrow.

deertracker

Woke up to some snow. Havent seen a deer in a few days. last day of the season so we will see.
    DT

todders
    Shoreview, MN

I like what you did there! Let’s hear it DT!

deertracker

Wasnt even going to post anything as it is small. But I hunted hard for it. Good body size at least.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Two days straight of hard wind and heavy rain. 3 2 1/2 year old bucks and a nubbin is all I have seen. One of those 2 1/2 year olds is lookin pretty good right now! I need to get my knife dirty.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.