kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Awesome Tony!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

My hunt started last saturday morning with high expectations. I had 10 days off of work too hunt an man was I pumped. Saturday morning came with frost and light winds as I entered the ridge top with a big oak flat. It was a morning all of us bow hunters dream about.

Around 8:15 I saw my first deer which was a small 6pt with his nose too the ground cruising. It was about 2 more hours before I saw my next deer which was the buck I harvested on Halloween. He came in to about 60 yards and worked a scrape. I hit the grunt call an this old buck made a beline right at me. I was amazed on how old he looked an how big his body was. A buck I was certian I wanted too harvest. He came into 20 yards a stood proud for the shot we all look for an I blew it. I missed him shot over his back .

I stood in my stand until noon an decided too take a break an head too the truck. By far not my biggest buck I have taken but a true trophy in my mind. My emotions were running high from missing him. As I get too my truck im greated by my buddy Mark the land owner an he seemed too be down himself. I asked how he was an he said “not good”. Here a few of his cows got into the alfala field which was full of frost an bloated 2 head an they died. Then he says I just as well tell you your bad news…. This is the last season you can bow hunt here . I was shocked at first, but then understand his son has taken a great interest in hunting an they want too save it for him. Which is really a great thing.

The rest of the week of hunting was full of ups an downs an I havent been back to that stand since Saturday. Halloween came which is by far one of my favorite days too hunt,an I got thinking about that old buck an were he came from. So I grabbed my climber an got as close too his bedding area as I could. I was settled around one p.m. an ready for the sit. Around 2 I saw my first deer which was a small fork horn an a treat too watch. Then the woods were dead untill 4:45 an they exploded! Outa the bedroom came a doe with her tongue hanging out an flying my way. I grabbed my bow an was ready. Here he came hot on her trail was the old buck I missed on saturday. An He planted himself about 15 yards from my tree an the rest was history . It took almost 3 hours too get him out. Outa all the bucks I have taken this guy has to be one of my absolute favorite bucks an a true trophy in my eye’s . I thank the landowner for letting me hunt there for many years an all the fond memories an laugh’s we shared over the years. An also the great friendship that has became of this. Really cool too have watched his son grow up an take such a love of the outdoor’s.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Pics soon too come.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Congrats on the buck! Good story!

Looks like one hell of a wound!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Great buck!!! I hope one day to shoot one on Halloween

jb157b

Congrats on a nice buck.

coppertop
    Central MN

Congrats on a good looking buck! Whata treat!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Man he’s a heavy old dog. Congrats again Tony! You deserve it!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Nice job Tony…as usual !!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Nice buck!

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

That’s a trophy in my book too! Way to stick with it and get the job done. I like your attitude about losing land to hunt. I’m sure it’s tough for you but it’s great to see a young person catch the hunting bug. Kudos!

willy_d
    Nipawin, Saskatchewan, Canada

Congrats on the buck Tony, Sucks loosing the spot to hunt but all may not be lost that young guy is going to needs some mentoring and guidance. I my self have just as much fun and excitement with new bowhunters getting there first animals as they do.

tres_pezon
    Plymouth, MN

Very nice Tony!

Congrats!

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Congrats on the buck Tony, Sucks loosing the spot to hunt but all may not be lost that young guy is going to need some mentoring and guidance. I my self have just as much fun and excitement with new bowhunters getting there first animals as they do.

X2 Well done

joef
    La Crosse, WI

Nice job!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Nice deer Tony, nice hit in the boiler room.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Thanks everyone.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Trying a new taxidermist this year. The guys work looks great ,but he said it would be next November before I get him back…

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats on a great buck Tony!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.