Lesson Learned

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have always been a firm believer of “When in doubt back out” . That is until this morning. Last night just before 6pm I stuck a doe with what I thought was a good hit, I waited for 25 minutes and then got down from my stand to check my arrow. Much to my surprise there was no blood on the arrow but allot of hair and the arrow smelled like it had passed through the deer, also it did not look like it was gut shot. I did not find any blood where I found the arrow, it was starting to get dark and I did not have a flash light on me as I had forgot my back pack at home so I thought it best to back out and come back in the morning. Got back out there first think this morning and it did not take me long to find a blood trail, it was not a heavy blood trail but fairly easy to follow. The deer did not go far, she ended up just where I thought she would be in the bottom of the ravine about 75 yards from my stand. Much to my surprise the only thing left of the deer was the pelt and the skeleton, I have seen deer that have had the rear end eaten by coyotes but never in my nearly 30 years of deer hunting have I ever seen a deer so destroyed by coyotes, every bit of meat was gone, all of the gut pile gone, just the pelt and the skeleton, and the skeleton was not in tack either, spread out all over the place even some of the bones had been chewed down. The lesson I learned today was I need to start coyote hunting in the off season and kill as many of these dam things that I can. Anytime you have an opportunity to kill a coyote even while deer hunting don’t hesitate take the dam thing out!

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

That sucks Steve, only good dogin the woods is a dead one!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Sorry you didn’t get your deer Steve, darned luck. That must be a big pack of coyotes considering the size of thier stomachs. To pick a deer clean with even chewing on the bones means thier pretty hungry. The way it sounds is it didn’t take long for them to do it eigther, sounds like its 223 time.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Bummer!

I think something we should all do it step it up when it comes to predator hunting, whether you are a pheasant hunter, deer hunter or waterfowl hunter. One of the biggest losses of young of the year are predators. I know I’m stepping up my game plan get a few yotes after the deer season.

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

That sucks losing a deer to coyotes. I have lost hind quarters of several deer and elk to coyotes over the years but never a whole critter. I believe you still made the right decision by letting her lay overnight. It may have bit you in the butt this time, but a majority of the time it’s still the right thing to do in my opinion

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Bummer Steve !!!

This is pretty much my first year as a Bow Hunter and I got to hear the coyote’s talking from one area to the next… Dan has a lot of them on his land…

Sorry to hear about your circumstance… Hope it leads to a Big Buck Down report !!

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I think you did the right thing by backing out. I think we all would have in that situation. Agree:DAMN ‘yotes! Had one years ago that cost me a giant of an 8 main-framed buck that was following a doe about 25 yards behind her. She came to where the dog walked, and that was it, they both bolted outta there.

joef
    La Crosse, WI

I have heard of the hind legs being eaten over night, but never the whole thing. That really sucks, sorry to hear that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.