Coyote or Wolf??

• gobbler
    Central, MN

Okay, I put a pic of a decent buck and a grey fox in here for comparison purposes only.

What is it, a Coyote or Wolf? If it’s a Coyote, I’m going after it…. I did get a pic of this exact same animal last year only about 100 yards away.

Tough call!

I’d say wolf judging by the ears and length of the snout but the body size and leg length just doesn’t fit the bill of a mature timberwolf in my opinion…

Young timber maybe??

I can tell you it’s not a hose cat.

bowhuntmn

I am not sure how far north you are, but it does not seem to matter so much anymore. We have gotten wolf sightings in SE MN, so I would not be surprised if this was a wolf.
    Young wolves, at a glance (which is all you will get if you are out hunting ‘yotes), look quite similar to coyotes. A guy shot a wolf about a ten minutes drive from one of my properties in recent years. We have had blacks bears and wolves on our cams in recent years in SE MN! The range of these “up north” animals is expanding all the time, especially young animals that are looking for territory.
    I have a hard time judging this pic, especially since it looks like its very close to the camera which makes it appear bigger. One distinguishable feature between wolves and coyotes, in my opinion, is the length of the legs. Wolves appear much taller, with this picture showing an animal with shorter legs..take it as you will!!

ford1326
    WHITE BEAR LAKE,MN

Im going all in on young wolf. It sure looks like its eating well. Spent a lot of years hunting big timber north of the divide in Minnesota seen every color of wolf from all black to nearly all white. This to me is a wolf.

Happy New Year every one.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

To me, the bone structure looks too big for a coyote. But I’ll be the first to admit I’ve never studied wolves. If it’s a coyote, he’s a dandy. I’m leaning towards a wolf.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I’m no expert but that thing is pretty big

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

Hard to tell, without a better picture of the head it’s a toss up. Because of what you can see of the head and comparing the buck pic, I’m going big coyote….

EDIT: Changing my mind. Took a better look at the ears. More rounded than pointy so I’m changing my mind to a young wolf.

ben_dvoracek
    Eden Prairie, MN

Gobbler,

Looks like a wolf to me. My Dad had a wolf walk by him this year while hunting in Chippewa County Wisconsin. We herd of other sitings around there as well.

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

ive spent allot of time in northern minnesota , mainly in the ely areas and ive seen a ton of wolf and that to me is definitly a young timber wolf

tapout

NOt even a ? 100 percent wolf. whoops

john_steinhauer
    p4

Pretty good size!! I’m going with wolf or a yote on steroids!

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

That one is too close to call.

coppertop
    Central MN

and this pic is far from “Up North”

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Wolf without a doubt!!!

Gaps68

German shepard.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Wolf, from one of the Ripley packs I am sure

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Sure wish we could see more of the head. I’ll go a different direction and say Coy-wolf ; inter-bred coyote and wolf. As mentiuoned, the bone structure and those front shoulders/legs are as wolf looking as you can get. The tail posture of it walking/trotting is coyote all the way. Coyote have that slight “s” bend in the tail, wolves NORMALLY carry their tail straight.

Also (sorry about the bloody nose in the pic…hopefully no one if offended) compare the neck to the pics of the coyotes I added. A coyote doesn’t have nearly as thick of a neck as a wolf.
    The last pick is a wolf

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I will put my money on 100% wolf. Everything about the picture screams wolf to me. If that is a coyote and I am positive it isnt, then that would be the biggest coyote I have ever seen

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Definitely NOT a mature wolf…Muzzle/Mandible to thin and pointy. Body size may look bigger due to proximity to the trail cam. Looks more like a big Yote, but tough to tell.

I am too tired to find/post all of my wolf T Cam pics but here is one for comparison… 90% of the wolves up here range from darker brown to black…

pricecoco
    Phillips, WI

Looks like a mature coyote. Legs aren’t long enough for a wolf.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.