The deer gods are laughing at me

• Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

We’ve been hunting a buck we named Tank this fall pretty hard during the WI bow, gun and muzzleloader seasons. We have numerous videos and pics of him from last year and this year. He’s a 4.5 year old and moves around a lot but is very nocturnal. In fact, we have never captured him on camera during daylight hours in 2 years. His territory is pretty big – at least 2 square miles and he even swims back and forth across the Chippewa River. Craig D who I hunt with seen him during the bow season. He was on the ground connecting his climber to the tree when Tank ran by him chasing a doe at Mach 10.

We knew he was in our area because we kept on getting him on camera at night. We hunted him hard all through gun and muzzle loader season hoping to get a glimpse of him but it never happened. The last night of ML season I sat in the same area where Craig had seen him hoping he would show up but of course, he didn’t. Two nights later and I thought what the heck, I might was well go out during the Anterless Only hunt since I have don’t have any venison I thought I would try and put a doe down. Well, wouldn’t you know it at 4pm Tank walks by me at 30 yards. He even made his way over to Craig who was about 300 yards away from me so he could see him and then turned around and walked by me again at 10 yards. I watched him for 10 minutes and I literally could have jumped on his back at one time.

Well the good news is the hunt is not over and I still have a bow tag left. I’m guessing he will probably be a couple miles away by the time I can get out there again.

ben_dvoracek
    Eden Prairie, MN

That is a huge buck Brad. Sometimes that is the way it goes. That same thing happend to one of my brothers a few years back during an antlerless season and had a big 10 pointer just a few yards away from him and he couldn’t do anytything but watch the huge beast.

Good luck the last few weeks of the season!

john_steinhauer
    p4

What a buck!! I hope you meet up with him one of these days!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

He’ll show again.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Good Luck – nice buck!

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

I’ve had similar things happen to me this season. Keep putting in the time and it will pay off! Good Luck Brad!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

It is the tough years that makes the good years all that sweeter.

The good part is now you know where he is hanging out, can get his sheds, and then next year when you get him it is ever more cool

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

The season isn’t over yet! Late season Bow can be good.

lick

At this rate the next time you guys see him he will have shed his antlers

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

I think “Tank” is moving back into this area b/c there were a few bucks (the one I harvested), that were dominant over him. I got a feeling this won’t be the last time we see him during daylight hours.

todders
    Shoreview, MN

I have always been able to watch young bucks with no want to shoot them or remorse for letting them walk. I have never been in a situation where I had to let a monster walk , that would be almost unbearable ! I hope you were able to learn something from your encounter and find a way to get him in range one more time. Good luck the rest of the season Brad! It only takes ten seconds…it only takes ten seconds…it only takes ten seconds

gobbler
    Central, MN

I hope you get a shot at him sometime during the late bow season. Good luck.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

He’ll probably show up just out of bowrange 3 or 4 times and stand there for 10 minutes with nothing between you and him, thats the way it goes sometimes. Good luck in getting him Brad

magnumlure

What a beast……Let me know when you are going again and I’ll run up for a quick visit!

It will happen!

bobbergeson

Good luck guys! I’m sure one of you Will Him

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Good luck Atleast you know you beat him at his own game. You know for a fact you could have shot him and did the right thing by abiding by the law. We all know that we dont get many, if any, chances at a mature whitetail each year. The fact that you did every thing right and had him right there is something to be happy about in it self. I wish you guys luck in harvetsing him, but I think you all know you already got him in a way

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.