Your opinion needed

• protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

I decided not to hunt tonight because im just so frustrated with the way this season has gone! But tonight i decided to check a few fields that i can hunt. I pulled up to a spot and in the 3-4 acre corn field were 3 bucks! One 8-10 point worth shooting Only problem is i don’t know where they came out
    I have a stand just inside the wood line but the bucks were probably 80-100 yards from it. I was planning on hunting this spot tomorrow now that i know there is a shooter around but i need some opinions…
    Should i take the chance and hunt this stand and not move it, or with the snow on the ground should i try and find their tracks from where they entered and set up close to it? I think i know what will be recommended

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

It’s late in the year, be aggressive!

todders
    Shoreview, MN

If you have the time and there is a really good trail move it for sure but if you don’t there will be no better way to find their entry than sitting it if the wind is safe? Perfect set up for a plot watcher

postmaster

How far do you feel comfortable shooting? I would leave the stand not to disturb them and take the 100 yard shot and hopefully closer. I beleive in being agressive this time of year but they are very skitish and won’t tolerate a bunch of noise.Play the wind and kill him tomorrow if the wind is right.

lick

My guess is he is bow hunting. I would bump up. The clock is ticking move in for the kill !

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Play the wind, sit in a satelite stand to see where they are coming out of. Then, next day go in for the kill! Good luck! Put the smack down on em!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Quote:

How far do you feel comfortable shooting? I would leave the stand not to disturb them and take the 100 yard shot and hopefully closer. I beleive in being agressive this time of year but they are very skitish and won’t tolerate a bunch of noise.Play the wind and kill him tomorrow if the wind is right.

Im bow hunting. I can shoot out to 50 if the conditions are in my favor. Im hoping the snow will stay through tomorrow so i can see the tracks

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

Do like me, wait until Saturday and pull out the smoke pole. I have never done it, but my miserable season has got me trigger happy.

john_steinhauer
    p4

Do what your gut tells you, I often second guess myself and find out I wish I wouldn’t have!

coppertop
    Central MN

PT unless you can get in there around noonish I’d leave your stand there and sit and observe. Colder weather and snow forecasted so there’s a good chance they’ll be back. Then make your move as you see fit. Good luck! If you check for trails leading into corn tomorrow and see a definate winner just be sure to have another stand w/ you so you don’t hafta waste time removing/moving one. Cripes, now I’m second guessing myself. In any case good luck!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Copper,

I have the time tomorrow with classes being done with for the semester My plan is to go in around noon to find where they came in. I will move my stand to where i believe ill have a safe exit route and a shot if it’s presented. The deer were quickly browsing so i think they should make their way into range.
    It’s supposed to be a south wind tomorrow so the new stand placement should be perfect. I just wish that we could get an East wind for once

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Sounds to me like you have a great game plan. I hope it all comes together! Good Luck!

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Good luck, I hope your decision yields you a shot opportunity

ap2049

Put up a decoy. Don’t move the stand.

lick

Quote:

Put up a decoy. Don’t move the stand.

If there are gun seasons still going on I would NOT use a decoy

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

I got out there around 12:15 to move my stand. On the way in i kicked up 4 does bedded right on the edge of corn I got the stand moved and lanes trimmed in about an hour and a half. 4:30 comes along and i see some fruit running toward me through the woods with cross country ski poles Ive had it with this bull$hit season!!!!!!!!

ap2049

Quote:

I got out there around 12:15 to move my stand. On the way in i kicked up 4 does bedded right on the edge of corn I got the stand moved and lanes trimmed in about an hour and a half. 4:30 comes along and i see some fruit running toward me through the woods with cross country ski poles Ive had it with this bull$hit season!!!!!!!!

Put up a decoy…don’t move the stand.

coppertop
    Central MN

Ughhh! Sounds like alot of my seasons! BTW- what part of the state has enough snow for cc skiing?

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Quote:

Ughhh! Sounds like alot of my seasons! BTW- what part of the state has enough snow for cc skiing?

He wasn’t skiing!! He was running with the poles in his hands I wanted to scream at him!!

herefishyfishy
    MN

Quote:

Quote:

He wasn’t skiing!! He was running with the poles in his hands I wanted to scream at him!!

lol Thats a bummer!!! Running with the sticks huh? My mom always told me not to run with sticks

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.