2011 is OFFICIALLY a success

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I was thinking back about the 2011 season and all the events leading up to it. In July, we celebrated my parents’ 40th wedding anniversary. We spent some time working on the box blind. This two year project was to be a great place for my parents to hunt together. Dad also has high hopes the grandkids will kill their first deer from this perch. I figured Mom would tag along simply to enjoy a cold beer and watch the wildlife. I was quite surprised when Dad said she bought a tag this fall.

As most of you know, I spent one of the best weeks of my life there in early November. I had so many great encounters in my limited time, I knew it was gonna be tough to top this season. Fast forward a couple weeks. My dad is busier than all heck delivering several hundred pheasants each day. I’m pestering him to spend as much time as possible in the box blind with the rut in full swing. I’m quite sure he was getting pretty sick of my number showing up on caller ID. Well, when he called last weekend telling me about his buck I was more than ecstatic. It was first time I’ve ever been emotional like this about a deer. A great feeling that I can’t wait to relive with Dad at Christmas time.

Now to tonight. I don’t get a call or text. I happen to open my email and what do I see. Apparently Mom shot her first buck tonight. In her words…

Quote:

OK, so it’s not exactly mountable, but I shot it myself and it only ran a few yards and dropped dead, so guess I can only go up from here

So I sit here typing this and I’ve got that emotional feeling again. I’ve realized whatever I’m experiencing has nothing to do with the deer. I love my parents for all they have done for me in my life. The fact that they have supported me through so much and now my latest addiction of deer hunting. Congratulations Carolyn!!! HE IS A TROPHY TO ME!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Kooty, Congratulations! Its hard to put the words of all the emotions together at once; but I completely understand! Similar to the same emotions I’ve had this year with Olivia. Her accomplishments far exceeded my expectations and her learning curve is way beyond what I was able to do by 13. There is that moment that you just look back and say Pass along to mom that we’re all proud of her accomplishment and look forward to seeing her move on up

big_g
    Isle, MN

Way to go Carolyn !!! and Kooty, your right to be proud of your parents (they even did OK with you)

todders
    Shoreview, MN

Quality stuff for the Kutz clan this year! It is important to think about the positives and you have a long list to choose from . Keep up the good work and congrats to both your mom and dad

lick

Good stuff Kooty ! Thanks for the updates and congrats to your folks on their bucks !

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

Good stuff Kooty, congrats to you all!

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Thats awesome John. Congrats to your parents on their success and to all of you for getting to share the joy and memories that hunting brings to family and friends. Most all of us have some form of bond forged through hunting; I think your recent posts have brought a few of our own memories back to the present. Congrats again

coppertop
    Central MN

Congrats to your family Kooty!

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

This is AWESOME Congrats to you all

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

The funny part is, Mom is almost deathly allergic to deer. By the time they got it field dressed and to the house, she could hardly breath. When I talked to her later last night the meds were kicking in and she was doing better.

Story is, 3 young bucks came in. This one was not the “best” of the group, but he offered a perfect broadside shot at 30 yards. The deer ran about 30 yards and tipped over. Dad thought she missed initially. She has only shot this rifle one other time this fall practicing. She was pretty nervous about shooting the 7MM, but I reassured her if Wild Thang can shoot a 300 Ultra, she can shoot the 7MM.

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Congrats to your Mom on a great buck!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Big congrats to your parents John. That is awesome! It continues to amaze me how deer and deer hunting rekindles passion and emotion towards our loved ones. I’m guessing it means even more to you because of the hard work that you all of you put into food plots and wild life habitat improvements! I’ve also had the pleasure of meeting John’s parents and they are truly wonderful people. It’s easy to see that the apple fell very close to the tree.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.