2011 Wisconsin Gun Buck

• craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

The 2011 Wisconsin Gun Deer season started off with rain, sleet and then driving north winds accompanied by snow. Myself and IDO Pro Staff Brad Juaire had set up a game plan to try to harvest a mature buck. The first weekend ended up in seeing a few deer, but most of the bucks were either spikes or 2.5 year olds. The next time I was able to get back to Wisconsin was Thanksgiving evening. The alarm was set for 4:30 a.m. Hopefully, Friday was going to be a good day for me. I arrived to my stand at 5:40 a.m. I could hear deer walk past my stand early that morning. Eventhough, I couldn’t see anything, I knew I was in the right spot. Sunrise awoke the woods, squirrels began to shift out of their nests and ducks began to dive bomb the creek bottoms. About 7:45 a.m. I noticed movement to the south, it was a buck. I put the bino’s up, it was the Big Seven. The Big Seven was an elusive 5 year old buck. We had several trail camera pictures of this buck but he never showed himself during daylight hours. Today was the day I had the opportunity to harvest such an animal. He made his way within 25 yards. I ended up harvesting the Big Seven. A mature buck that I was thankfull to harvest. *** Picture 2 is the Sheds from the Big Seven when he was 4 years old. A BIG THANKS to Kirk Peterson of Peterson Taxidermy for giving me the SHEDS off the Big Seven. The SHEDS were found on the same property.

lick

Nice buck Craig ! Congrats !

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Awesome Congrats

gobbler
    Central, MN

WTG!!! You deserve that deer. Congrats

coppertop
    Central MN

Congrats Craig! One giant 7!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Congrats on shooting a mature buck I know you have put many hours into this years hunt

natureboy
    LaCrosse,WI

Good JOB!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Atta boy Craig!

magnumlure

Congrats on a fine buck!

Kirk is a fine fella! Ask him about the time his does licked the Party Mix off my fingers! It was very cool.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Congrats Craig!!! Very cool on having those shed to accompany that deer. I have a 140’s 8pnt that I took a few years ago and had found the sheds from him the Spring prior. I thinks its cool to see what that one additional year can do for growth and maturity. Congrats!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Congrats to you Craig on a dandy! I know how hard you guys hunt, and how you earn your opportunities. Happy for you, and good work!

Joel

bobbergeson

Congrats on a Great Buck Craig! Very few have put in the hours you have!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats again Craig on putting down the Big 7. There are very few bucks out there that end being harvested being 5.5 years old. What Craig left out of the story is that we actually saw that buck the night before the opener scouting and as he headed into the same area where Craig had hung a stand across the river. Craig earned him by crossing the river in the dark in waders, hauling his boots in tote knowing he would have to drag that buck across the river if he got him.

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Thanks to everyone! The Big 7 will look awesome on the wall.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Nice one Craig

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.