Muzzleloader – Whitehot powder

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Thinking of switching from 777 to whitehot powder this season. Anyone have any Neg. comments on it? For those who have used it what do you think about it?

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

So far it has been flawless. I hope to do some testing on live animals soon! I am shooting 2 pellets and the Barnes expander’s

pool5hunter
    South East,Mn

Bob, Do you think that the whitehot powder shots any cleaner?

postmaster

I am a Pyrodex select guy because I like loose powder. I don’t like being tied to powder by the 50 grain incerment or 10 for that matter. Talk to any reloader and he will tell you that some guns shoot a whole lot different with a change in one grain of powder. Shot what the gun likes and you can’t go wrong. Spend time on the bench working up a load that shoots best in your gun. Play with the powder by putting your gun loaded in the freezer and let it thaw and shoot it, change the tempature and moisture and see how the powder reacts. I know Pyrodex Select has never let me down.

coppertop
    Central MN

BW- Just curious why you’re switching from 777?

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Bob, Do you think that the whitehot powder shots any cleaner?

My While testing against the 777 I noticed that my patches were quite a bit cleaner than my brother’s patches between shots. that being said when I cleaned my breach plug it looked just as fouled as his.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

BW- Just curious why you’re switching from 777?

just looking for something a little cleaner and this is suppose to be a little cleaner. Several of my hunting partners are making the switch this year and its always nice to all be shooting the same. You never know when you forget your loads or run out.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

I switched from 777 to Blackhorn 209. What a nice surprise! I love it! Non fouling! Non corrosive! No messy breech plug grease! Easy clean-up with regular solvents! No more bore cleaning between shots! I recently shot a 5 shot silver dollar sized group @ 100 yards! With my 15-20th shot since the last cleaning! This is the greatest thing for muzzle loaders in decades! Highly recomended!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.