Safety Tip

• joef
    La Crosse, WI

Safety Tip: Replace ratchet straps regularly. I hunt a 400 acre farm with a few old buddies from high school, we have alot of stand on the farm, most of which sit year round. The other day a buddy and I were moving a stand, after he got it all strapped up i went to check it out, i stepped on the platform and the strap broke. The only thing stopping me from falling 20 feet face first was the fact we had trimmed a small tree back under the platform. When the strap broke the platform fell only a few inches and was supported by the trimmed tree.

Morals of the story: If the strap looks a little old, replace it, they are only $5, also always wear your safety harness when you step foot onto the tree stand. I have not been very good at either of theses and this experience scared the s**t out of me.

mudlizard
    st. marys pt. MN

A buddy and I were just talking about straps this morning at work. How often do you guys replace them. I don’t keep my stands out over winter so would you think it’s ok to use the same ones for a few years?

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

Great Tip! I’m glad you’re okay!

I leave my stands out year-round and check the straps/hardware every spring. Some need to be replaced and some don’t. Age of the strap doesn’t always matter, but how susceptible it is to the elements and/or animals makes all the difference.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

Great Tip! I’m glad you’re okay!

I leave my stands out year-round and check the straps/hardware every spring. Some need to be replaced and some don’t. Age of the strap doesn’t always matter, but how susceptible it is to the elements and/or animals makes all the difference.

We don’t take our ladder stands down either, but we replace the straps regularly. Or add another. We have one stand that must have 6 or 7 straps on it. A guy can never be too careful when is comes to tree stands.

the_grump
    Le Center

Good tip, but if your spending only 5 bucks a strap I think the strap maybe the problem and not the age.

A cheap strap maybe the most expensive thing you ever buy!

gobbler
    Central, MN

Great reminder. I have a dozen stands and 5 of them are chain. I spend about 70-80% of my time in the stands with chains. I’m not a big fan of strap on stands and if given the option, I go with the chain every time.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Great reminder post! I have the EXACT same straps on mine that you have pictured. Those get faded and crusty. I add a new one every year, just leave the old one’s on too.. ANd recently have been wearing my vest every time out! Very much like a seatbelt. Once you start you can’t stop and also wonder what the eff you were thinking when you didnt wear one!

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Glad to hear you came out alright, could have been a bad deal. I think alot of us leave our stands out all year, so thanks for the reminder. We also replace straps as needed. Usually harness up while still on the tree steps and give the stand a solid pull before the first sit each year. Some of those awkward wind stands that only get hit a time or two every couple years can make for an erie climb in the mornings

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.