1st bow kill

• kevin_sahly
    maple grove,mn

I am thrilled to report that I got my 1st bow kill on monday at 6:55pm! Certainly not a bragging deer, but it will be tender! I had 3 does pop up in front of me while sitting in ground blind. They were starring at me and I had no idea how I was going to get my bow up on them. I slowly ducked down below the window, drew my bow, and lifted it up over the window. I put the pin sight on the first one I could get it on. Being a total rookie bow hunter, I realized my pin sight was shaking and my peep site appeared to be crooked as I was seeing my strings through it. There seemed to be so many mental mechanics to think about. After double checking every little detail I could think of, I took one last deep breath and let it go. It hit the doe lower than I planned, obviously misjudged the yardage slightly. Arrow had clean pass thru and I could see the blood immediately. She ran into woods and I heard a crash but didn’t know if she was down or just busting thru. Darkness was coming and I wanted to establish some sort of blood trail at woods line before total darkness. After about 20 min, I went into the thicket after her. The arrow luckily hit heart and she made it about 15 ft into woods before expiring. My heart was racing. I felt like that 10 yr old kid again having his first face to face encounter. I must admit, I think I shot the smallest of the three does. I’m so happy I got this learning opportunity with a doe rather than a mature(smart) old buck. The experience and adrenaline rush was so much more intense for me than shooting a deer with my rifle or slug. I have to send a big THANK YOU to my neighbor Brad Juaire and all the encouraging guys I met at his house 2 years ago. They gave me the bug to try bowhunting and it is unbelievable! sorry picture not too good. 75 degrees and dark by the time I got to her, I had to clean quickly and get her home to cool. This deer will obviously not be hanging on my wall, but I will remember it like the one I got 30 years as a kid!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Congrats on your first kill!! The RUSH is the same for me no matter if it’s a doe, buck or a coon. When I slip my hand into place, my adrenaline starts pumping!!

Congrats Kevin!!!

mitch_otto

Congrats on 1st bow kill! My brother got his this year also! He was so happy to get one under his belt!!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Congrats….that rush never goes away!!!

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Congrats on the nice doe Now your hooked

big_g
    Isle, MN

Nice job Kevin !! The first is the hardest, now your a veteran I always like to say… anybody can hit a big one

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Well done! I have a feeling that won’t be the last post we see with you, a bow, and some skinning to do.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

That is awesome Kevin! Well done my friend! You will never forget your first bow kill and you’ll relive that hunt over and over again! Your story above sums up why so many of us bow hunters spend so many hours in the field and on the archery range – just so we can experience the rush. Congrats again and make sure you pop on over so we can celebrate over a

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

OH the RUSH!!! But you re-composed and controlled it enough to make a great shot.
    “It just don’t get any better than that”
    Congrats…

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Congrats on your first kill Nothing like bowhunting is there

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Congrats on the nice doe!

offthewall
    Ham Lake ,MN

nice job every deer with a bow is a trophy

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Congrats Regardless of buck, doe, small, or huge; its the hunt and the memories that last a lifetime. Those little details of how shaky your pin appeared will stand out for years to come. BTW – Enjoy those steaks, they’ll be tender!

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Congrats on the first bow kill! The first is an accomplishment no matter the deer, and every bowhunter I know considers their first as a trophy The rush never leaves when you decide its go time, good luck taming the obsession

lick

Congrats Kevin !

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Congratulations You never forget your 1st

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.