Strategy Session

• craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Where are most of you hunting? Field edges or woods. Acorns are dropping, but field edges seem to be great locations for evening hunts.

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

I will be on a field edge this p.m.

john_steinhauer
    p4

I have been having most of my luck on saddle on a oak ridge. I have been staying away from most of my field spots cause the way they are planted this year access is near impossible without blowing everything out.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Where are most of you hunting? Field edges or woods. Acorns are dropping, but field edges seem to be great locations for evening hunts.

I’m thinking suicide hill or the Bobcat stand seriously we do have quite a bit of early evening bucks in the bean plots right now, so field edges might be ok

gobbler
    Central, MN

Bob- Suicide Hill heats up in mid Oct. I would hunt the field edge way back left behind the barn….. Close to where I shot Rocket last year. Good luck boys. I hope you shoot a Biggin’

todders
    Shoreview, MN

I have only had a handful of decent bucks on camera so instead of hunting them I have been hunting non invasive edges and will start moving deeper into the woods during October. basically trying to extend early season into the October lull as long as possible but it’s still only a theory

bowhuntmn

Oak flats are hot right now, as are ponds from what I am seeing. I shot a large doe tonight on a logging road surrounded by oaks, above a creek/corn field.

I am also staying away from deep woods, just hitting fringes. Saw an absolute freak tonight as well, 5 typical points on his left, and one 8-10 inch tine with several kickers for his right side! Never seen him before, so that is very exciting. Young buck though, maybe low 130’s. Would be hard to pass, but I think he needs it.

shednut
    22 feet up

I haven’t been seeing any mature bucks in the fields before dark. Strategy for me right now is wait for a front, catch it on it’s way in or way out and dive in close to a bucks bedding area. Tuesday night was phenominal for me, seen 4 bucks a 2 1/2, 3 1/2, and two fully mature bucks. Thought I was going to burn my tag on my first sit of the year, but the 3 1/2 got nervous and blew the whole thing up

jackhunter
    Eagan, MN

As we move through the weeks of change here… what is changing in your strategy. I have been finding most of the early evening and morning focus of the deer on our land to be in the acorn areas. I have not seen a deer this past week that was not stopping for some.

Sit the oak ridges in the morning between bedding areas, and sit the lower areas holding acorns in the evening.

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

I’m hunting in the depths of La Crescent MN between two fields quarter mile apart in the thicket of the woods next to a small patch of apple tree’s. Not only are the acorns dropping but the apples as well seem to be falling now too. It produces deer all day sporatically and hoping tomorrow morning one will walk by.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.