Public land bucks are lookin GOOD !!

• Waxy
    Calgary, AB

LOL, I doubt it!

He should be better, and with AP on your team, you don’t need a star at QB, just a steady guy that makes the right decisions and at least presents the threat of pass. Think Garrard in Jacksonville…

Waxy

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Oh boy, now you did it. You brought up AP. And am I gonna get ripped up for saying this. I don’t think the boy is gonna pan out. Seriously. Unless he learned to run while changing direction I feel teams will learn to stop him quickly. I saw as the year wore on last year defenses were starting to pick up on his inability to change directions and keep going. Maybe he worked on it in the off season, and I speculate he did, but if not I see him coming down to earth some and becoming a good solid back, but not greased lightening. Now…Who was it I was looking to talk about again?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I gotta disagree with you there. I am not going to compare him to Barry Sanders at this point in his carrer, but teams saw Barry time and time again. And they could not stop him either. Barry just possessed unbelievable talent in making defenders miss him. Plain and simple, it was his ability against the people on the other side of the line from him that made him special. He out performed them whenever he had the ball. I think AP has that type of ability. As a defender, you better bring your “A” game, ’cause this dude can flat out motor! He made it to the Pro Bowl in his first year, and ABSOLUTELY dominated that as well. You can make the excuse “Who tries in the Pro Bowl”…but I didn’t see a better performance all season from a running back in the NFL.

T-Jack? That is another story. All great QB’s start at the entry level. Some are up to the task, others struggle. I think this is the year that defines his abilities. Hopefully the braintrust do not coddle this guy, and design some plays to fit into his strength. Like maybe a play-action or two? You gotta do something to freeze a safety or corner for that split second…And you can do that with an AP. They have to respect him. BUT! We have to develop a deep game that can be a threat as well. Berrian? I don’t know…I still think we are weak at WR. And until they fix that, even Favre wouldn’t help my Queens.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Quote:

Oh boy, now you did it. You brought up AP. And am I gonna get ripped up for saying this. I don’t think the boy is gonna pan out. Seriously. Unless he learned to run while changing direction I feel teams will learn to stop him quickly. I saw as the year wore on last year defenses were starting to pick up on his inability to change directions and keep going. Maybe he worked on it in the off season, and I speculate he did, but if not I see him coming down to earth some and becoming a good solid back, but not greased lightening. Now…Who was it I was looking to talk about again?

You’re more nuts than Favre.

T-Jack will be fine. He’s not going to be great, and he’s not going to be terrible. Just good enough to score more points than our D will allow. Then in the playoffs who knows. Just get us there and let the D take over.

riveratt

I actually thought I’d really get hung out to dry here, lol. But the truth of it is I have no legitimate basis for what I’ve said of AP and I’m most likely way off base. But the truth is I’ve felt since watching him last year that there was something about him, maybe something intangible, that will allow other teams to contain him more often than not. I don’t see Barry Sanders in him, not at all. Barry was so smooth, powerful, graceful, and explosive I’m not sure we’ll ever be graced with an athlete in that position again with all the same qualities. Sanders was and is a class act off the field as well. I don’t know what AP is like in that area.

But again, just a gut feeling I have. Unless AP seriously worked on his ability to cut and run or somehow became beefier to allow the straight ahead run I just feel he will struggle. Feel free to gut me out and say “neener neener” when he proves me wrong.

I really haven’t seen this Tavaris Jackson play last year except in one game, maybe the Packer game I don’t recall. I do remember thinking this kid showed some good signs of skill but seemed rather unpolished. We’ll have to see how Childress (Wasn’t he a former QB coach somewhere?) managed to cultivate this young feller. Someone above mentioned that T Jack should be able to help score more points than their D allows. Seems plausible given the talent (on paper anyhow) the Vikes have on the defensive side of the ball. A strong defense, especially a completely dominating one like the Bears had a couple years ago, will win games, period. As a Packer and Bear fan that does bother me a bit. I don’t buy into the notions that the NFC (North) is a weak division. If the Bears get their D healthy and Rex can be more good Rex than bad, and the Packers get their woes settled, I see a very exciting season coming up. Of course, as the saying goes, if your niece had nuts she’d be your nephew. We have to wait and see.

Edited to add:

Quote:

but I didn’t see a better performance all season from a running back in the NFL.

Actually if memory serves me right a young fellow by the name of Ryan Grant gained the most yards since week 6 or 7 when he finally got to start. As the season ended up Grant was second only to LaDanian Tomlinson in yards gained. So while AP certainly had a wonderful year there were two others who were pretty awesome as well.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

1800 yards and 17 TD’s …Count on it…RR

riveratt

Is that your prediction for AP, LT, or RG? Honestly it could happen from anyone of the three, maybe all three!

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

I’m thinking it can’t be a good sign for the season if the coach is getting hurt fishing…

Quote:

Vikings coach Brad Childress threw his back out reeling in a 65-pound goliath grouper while deep-sea fishing near Marco Island, Fla., last week.

riveratt

Well if a guy has to throw his back out it might as well be fishing or sex!

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I really hope you’re wrong about AP Riveratt. I’m in an auction FF league and I WILL have AP on my team.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

A) Childress is still the coach

B) T-Jack is still T-Jack, a good second string quarterback.

C) Wilf is still the owner, all he wants is his stadium.

D) It’s far to early to start hammering on these guys. Give me another couple of months.

prieser
    Byron, MN

Actually if memory serves me right a young fellow by the name of Ryan Grant gained the most yards since week 6 or 7 when he finally got to start. As the season ended up Grant was second only to LaDanian Tomlinson in yards gained. So while AP certainly had a wonderful year there were two others who were pretty awesome as well.

Only because AP was out with a knee injury for 3-4 weeks. AP would have won the rushing title by 300-400 yards easy if he hadn’t been cheap shot by Milly Vanilly . He is the real deal, he don’t have to juke you out of your shorts, cause he will flat knock you on your I can’t remember the D-Back’s name, but the guys was so scared of getting his bell rung on a tackle, that he kind of closed his eyes and reached an arm out to tackle AP. Made himself look rediculous.

49er
    southcentral mn

TJ is a real soar issue for me!!! That kid just chapped my hide last year. Terrible mechanics, terrible decisions….couldn’t even pass on an 8-man front! Allbeit we don’t have very decent receivers, but with 8 guys in the box, you don’t need great receivers. Heck, you don’t even need a great QB either…..just a “Dilfer” who can make the short slant & out passes.

TJ was just horrid last year IMO…..especially the 2nd half of the year when teams figured out how to defend the run and basically said TJ is going to have to beat them….which he did not.

Yes, TJ is a young QB. We all know that. But to have terrible mechanics??? That stuff should have been learned in H.S., developed in college and fine tuned in the pros. Those jump passes and throwing off the back foot….that’s for highschool and freshman college. Yet he’s doing it in the pros!!!

Like I say, TJ is a real soar spot for me. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt though. For me, TJ has 6 regular season games to show something. That should be more than enough games to know whether he’s improved or not. If he has, great. But I’m not holding my breath.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

C) Wilf is still the owner, all he wants is his stadium.

WOW. What would you like Wilf to do more than he is doing now? Guy is spending as much as or more than any other owner in the league to get quality players to improve the product on the field. He is also taking in by almost all accounts either the least or 2nd least money of any owner in the league.

There are alot of things to criticize, but getting on Zigi is going over the top.

Perhaps Mike Lynn, the Gang of Ten, or Red McCombs were more to your liking????

Waxy
    Calgary, AB

Quote:

You gotta be kidding!

AP is in my opinion the hands down best back to enter the league since Edgerrin James and Tomlinson. He single handedly carried the Vikings on offense last year. Give him even the THREAT of a passing game, their solid defense, and he’ll be on his way, 2000yds is not out of the question if Berrian and TJ can even come close to holding up their end of the bargain.

He’s got a VERY bright future ahead of him.

Waxy

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Quote:

Only because AP was out with a knee injury for 3-4 weeks

Don’t get me wrong, AP is a very good running back, but
    this could be a recurring problem due to his physical size and his running style. Like Ratt said, if over the off-season he has developed an ability cut and avoid those head-on confrontations, it will greatly improve his chances of playing the entire year. I hope this is the case because he is a very entertaining back to watch.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

His injury last year was largely due to his running style and lack of NFL experience in minimizing those types of hits. Once he gets that down, he’ll be lights out.

He has both size and speed on his side. When I saw him in training camp last year his physical presence was obvious. Throw in the sprinter speed and he’s got all the tools.

ET

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I can’t imagine being a corner and seeing him come around the tackle. HOLY S_IT!! Now, think about they eyeballs AP gets to see, ‘Look at those pie plates, he’s never going to tackle me’. I love his style, but he’s gotta learn to run in the NFL or he will miss 3-4 games a year. He figures that out and Tjack can even become working class managable, look out for this kid. I’m not sure our recievers have it this year, but I’ll gladly take them over what we had last year.

49er
    southcentral mn

AP is awesome! I haven’t enjoyed watching a rb like him since probably Roger Craig! Craig was one of those guys who wasn’t a bit afraid to go head-to-head with a linebacker, safety, or anyone for that matter. High leg lift, great speed, break tackles, gets the extra yard(s)….AP has these qualities.

BUT, if TJ doesn’t improve considerably over last year, we can only expect a par season from the boys in purple & gold. A lot rests on his shoulders, as it does for any QB in the league.

Besox

RE: Ratt AP had issues late last year because they could not block the 8 or 9 guys in the box. I fear it might be the same if T-Jack cannot make them pay with completions. If he can AP all day baby!!!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I remember a fellow named Bennett had all the speed in the world too. AP out a couple weeks his first year with a knee…. That says it all. He is fun to watch though and if healthy he could be a great one but as of know lets can the Barry Sanders BS. AP couldn’t carry Barry’s athletic supporter.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Quote:

I fear it might be the same if T-Jack cannot make them pay with completions.

You mean FAVRE??

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Actually Barry can’t carry AD’s jock strap at this point in All Days career….. of course that can change in a millisecond!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

You guys with the Barry Sanders problem didn’t read my post. I said I CAN’t caompare him to Barry Sanders. I don’t think anyone else did. What I did say is that AP has the ability to make people miss, and he can easily exploit a D-back if they are not on their A game.

magnumlure

Here are some pics of deer on public land in OK that are coming in to the ANTLER BUILDER mineral lick. These were 2 brand new sites that were established in May. As you can see they have tore the super rocky ground up trying to get the last little bit!

Time to re-apply.

Full size pics in the photo section at http://www.NutraDeer.com!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Wow, I know OK is a sleeper state when is comes to monster whitetails. Those are some dandy deer.

lick

Nice bucks ! I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night worrying about my cams on public land.

huntalot60
    wisconsin

wow some great bucks right there, good luck this fall.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.