Browning BPS w/rifled cant barrel…optics?

• DaveD1
    Eastern Iowa

Well, I purchased my first gun of the year yesterday.

I’ve been watching this Browning for a couple months now and they just marked it down even more. I ended up getting it for 40% off. I was pretty excited.

I’ve never shot a rifled barrel before and was thinking about getting a Nikon BDC reticle or maybe one of the new Bushnell DOA scopes.

I’m usually pretty much set on Leupold but I’m liking the idea of having the different aiming points on the two scopes mentioned above. Does anyone have any experience with either or similar models?

Here’s a photo of my latest addition!

Thanks,
    Dave

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have a Remington 870 with a rifled barrel and I went with a Truglo Red Dot Scope this year and I could not be more happy with it. I dropped three does in there track with this set up. The big differance with the Red Dot VS a regular scope is you do not need to close one eye when looking through the scope thus making it nearly impossible to lose the deer in the scope.

MULTI-RETICLE / DUAL COLOR OPEN RED•DOT SIGHT

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Nice Gun!

What are your intentions of using this gun? Stand gun in open farm country or sitting in a thick swamp/hardwoods. If your going to be doing short range shooting get a single power scope or a red dot like steve said. Otherwise i would get a 3x9x the biggest lens you can afford. I wouldnt worry about getting anything more then just a regular reticle, its just a shot gun you arent going to be shooting 400 yards. Ive tried a few scopes with the different reticles and to me its just to much in the scope if your not hunting in open country when you have more time to wait for the animal to stop and make sure everything is perfect

DONOTDELETE

I have a Leupold 2×7 made for shotguns on my Browning and really like it.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’ve got to agree with Steve….

If you’re really not needing long range assistance, a red dot is the way to go. I own an Ithica DeerSlayer 20ga. pump, put a Tru-Glo Red Dot on her, and she’s as rock solid dependable as any firearm I’ve ever owned! I did that in 2007, took on one stalk/walk and took a small 8pt. through the neck and in 2008, I shot a doe through the throat at 50yds. I typically hunt with a .308 so if it looks like it didn’t produce for me the last 2 seasons, honestly, it’s a secondary option. However, the set up is solid and the need for a scope seems very low.

DaveD1
    Eastern Iowa

Thanks for the input so far guys. This gun will be a stand gun and will be used in a mix of open farm ground as well as some timber. I shoot my Knight now with a 3×9 40mm and it is just perfect for the areas I hunt. I basically purchased this gun for a back up or for rainy days when I don’t want to worry about keeping my powder dry.

I’ve had red dots and they are nice, I really just want to eliminate the battery variable. While I have never had any problems with batteries going dead, it is always a fear.

At this point I’m kind of leaning toward a Leupold® VX-I Shotgun Scope, 2X7-33mm. Leupold’s have never let me down and I’m afraid if I get something else I’ll just be disappointing. The other option would be to get a 3×9-40mm Leupold VX-1 or Rifleman.

Dave

coppertop
    Central MN

For the money you cannot beat a Nikon Prostaff 3×9 w/ nikoplex. I’d stay away from shotgun specific scopes unless you like a heavy reticle.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.