Re-mount by Peterson Taxidermy

• wihunter24

Seems like Kirk Peterson is a pretty popular taxidermist on here. Here are some pics of a shoulder mount I had him re-do for for me this past spring / summer.

This deer was shot by my grandpa during the 1992 gun season. It hung in his house for a couple years, but when he and my grandma moved they didn’t have enough room for it, so he let the local sportsman’s club have it. It hung there for several years until one time while out there, I mentioned to my grandpa that if he ever changed his mind and didn’t want his deer at the sportsman’s club anymore, I’d be interested. 2 weeks later, I come home from work and find the mount sitting in my living room. The mount seemed to be falling apart (eyes, nose, seam down the back of the neck) and had taken on a yellowish color to it- I’m sure years of hanging on a wall near the bar area of sportsman’s club that’s full of cigarette smoke didn’t help anything.

Anyway, I took it up to Kirk last spring to have it re-done and it looks absolutely awesome. I was trying to set up a time with my grandpa to show him the completed mount, but my work schedule just didn’t allow it at the time. Unfortunately, about 2 weeks after I got the mount back, my grandpa ended up passing away and never got the chance to see it.

Here’s some before and after pics- my photography skills are lacking, but you get the idea.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

You bet he gets praise on here, because he does incredible work. Not just on deer either. The man throws down a mean full strut turkey mount with the best of them!

Joel

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Yep! Kirk does Awesome work! I have my 2010 Mn Gobbler at Kirks Shop, he’s doing a full strut on that one – along with my 2010 Wi Gun Buck.

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

That’s a very special mount and it looks great!
    I think I know where I’ll go for my future turkey mount(s) – thanks fellas!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Awesome I just dropped 2 off with Kirk on the 31st

mitch_otto

It turned out really nice

lick

Looks great

Kirk does awesome work. I had both my bucks from 09 done there and “Muley” is there waiting to be mounted also

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

I’m genuinely curious. Could you elaborate on how this is done? Does he reuse the cape or start with a new one, etc.?

wihunter24

Quote:

Looks great

Kirk does awesome work. I had both my bucks from 09 done there and “Muley” is there waiting to be mounted also

He’s doing my ’10 bow buck as well. Just waiting for the phone call to bring the rack up to his shop….

wihunter24

Quote:

I’m genuinely curious. Could you elaborate on how this is done? Does he reuse the cape or start with a new one, etc.?

First of all, I went and did a recon mission of Kirk’s work and a couple other taxidermists in the area. I either took pics of the original mount or the original mount with me to all my visits so the taxidermists would have an idea of what they were getting into…. Kirk’s work was the best, so I went with him.

I bought a new cape from him- told him I wanted the biggest one he had (the deer weighed 217 lbs when it was shot during gun season) that was in good shape. Kirk happened to have a big cape from a deer that was shot in mid October and it was all tanned and ready to go. Then I picked out a form, told him how I wanted the ears, some of the other detail work etc…. and gave him the original mount for him to disassemble or whatever. A couple months later, I had a brand new mount. The only thing that’s the same from the original to the re-done version, is the rack.

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

Quote:

Quote:

First of all, I went and did a recon mission of Kirk’s work and a couple other taxidermists in the area. I either took pics of the original mount or the original mount with me to all my visits so the taxidermists would have an idea of what they were getting into…. Kirk’s work was the best, so I went with him.

I bought a new cape from him- told him I wanted the biggest one he had (the deer weighed 217 lbs when it was shot during gun season) that was in good shape. Kirk happened to have a big cape from a deer that was shot in mid October and it was all tanned and ready to go. Then I picked out a form, told him how I wanted the ears, some of the other detail work etc…. and gave him the original mount for him to disassemble or whatever. A couple months later, I had a brand new mount. The only thing that’s the same from the original to the re-done version, is the rack.

Cool, thanks for sharing. I had no idea how they did that.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I love standing in Kirk’s shop. It’s amazing the work he does!

Top it off, he is one of, if not the most knowledgeable and genuine sportsman I’ve ever met.

Awesome to see you made the effort to preserve a great man’s memory!

DaveD1
    Eastern Iowa

That is great that you have the deer and will be able to share the memory for many years to come. I hope that some day my grandkids, if I have them will do the same with my trophies.

Also, that is fantastic looking!

coppertop
    Central MN

Looks like a beautiful piece! I’m sure Grandpa is proud of you and his trophy.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Congrats to you for getting him back into shape. I’m sure your grandpa will enjoy the fact he is with you now. And congrats Kirk on another great job!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.