Snowstorm Hunt

• craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Was out on Saturday afternoon in Mn looking for a Doe. It took me 20 minutes to get to the ground blind I set up 2 weeks ago. Usually, the trip to the blind takes 5 minutes without 2 feet of snow. I arrived to the blind at 2:30p.m. with bow in hand only to see my ground blind upside down. So I had to reconfigure it, tied it down (again) and now I was ready to hunt. Once in the ground blind I hung up the bow and started to bank the inside of what was going to be my new home for the next 3 hours. The blind was set up so that all the windows towards the north were closed. The west side were open 1/3 of the way. I sat there, at 4:00p.m., I decided to see if I could pull back my bow I am pulling 70 lbs. I was able to crank it back, but the problem was the trophy taker drop away rest wasn’t responding to the bow. It was froze. Here’s a lesson I learned. Don’t take your bow out of your heated truck into a snow blowing enviroment. All that blowing snow stuck to the warm bow and accessories. I luckily had some hand warmers with me. I was able to thaw out the rest system. This little exercise of pulling the bow back and forth to see if the rest was free about exhausted my quest for a Doe. It was now 4:30 p.m., I caught movement of a deer 40 yards out, it was the small 8 pointer I saw last time out. He wasn’t alone, there was a 2 four pointers, 1 spike and a yearling buck. All I could see were the bodies of the deer, the snow was up to there bellies. I sat in the blind until dark, saw a total of 8 deer, no Doe’s in shooting range. When I walked back, I caught up with my old trail only to see that a deer had used my trail. It was a great hunt!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Very cool Craig. There is just something about hunting the late season in the snow! I went out yesterday afternoon to make a trail for the deer…but they had already made it themselves! I had to go out and “repair” my blind as well. Looking forward to my evening sits this weekend!

lick

Wow great tips Craig I wouldn’t have thought of a drop away rest freezing

Only the “hardcore” guys will be hitting the woods now

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

I think I will now put my bow in the garage after I thaw it out from now on. Kinda like conditioning it. That warm to extreme cold could mess up a hunt. I’m glad I checked my bow!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

I think I will now put my bow in the garage after I thaw it out from now on. Kinda like conditioning it. That warm to extreme cold could mess up a hunt.

Great idea…I’ll have to remember to do that before Saturday!

witte
    West Salem, WI

Me too. Thanks for the tip.

john_steinhauer
    p4

would of been a fun sit in the snow think your braver than alot of guys out there glad to hear you had a great hunt

coppertop
    Central MN

Had to beat sitting in a tree. Good tip on the rest. I noticed my ripcord seems sluggish in the cold too.

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

Thnnks for sharing your hunt and tip Craig! Congrats on a fun hunt!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.