2010 Wisconsin Gun Buck

• craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Just got back in town after a long weekend of deer hunting in Pepin County Wisconsin. Friday evening stand sit consisted of hunting over a cut corn field. I was in the stand around 2:00p.m., knowing these deer were going to come out at the 3 o’clock hour. At 3:15 p.m., there was my fist deer, a big doe. Next, there was a parade of adult does and fawns in a single file coming out into the corn field. They were 400 yards out, just south of me. 9 does and fawns were feeding for about a half hour. Something spoked them into the woods. I waited and waited, then they appeared right in front of me at 250 yards. They again, came out in single file into the corn field. 4:00p.m. comes around and now I have 12 deer in the field in front of me. I look towards the woods, there is a big bodied deer making its way into the field. Its a good buck! I noticed right away, there was a old wound on his left hand side from a broadhead or gun shot. He made his way to 170 yards, I put the scope on him, and let the 270 bark. I hit him hard! He was running on 3 legs, jumped some logs in the woods and was gone. I waited 30 minutes to start the tracking job. I ended up jumping him 80 yards in the woods. I opted to back out till morning to recover this buck.
    The next day, the adjacent landowner suggested we waited till 2:00p.m. to go after the buck. We set up a couple other hunters to post in case he was still alive. We made our way across the creek, only to lose blood. 50 yards later, we were back on the blood trail. I followed the blood trail to a corner were he beaded up. He ended up crossing the creek again, only to rest on top of the bank. There he was. We estimated him at 4.5 years old, 200 pounds. He’s not the biggest buck in the woods, but a great deer to harvest for my 2010 Wisconsin Gun Deer Season.

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

Looks pretty darn big to me! Congrats!

lick

Yep he would have been big enough for me too

Congrats Craig

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Congrats Craig , nothing wrong with that buck

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Great buck Craig…congrats!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Nice one Craig

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Dandy indeed congrats on a great buck Craig!!

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Big enough for me to

Would be happy to have something like that walk by me

gobbler
    Central, MN

Nice one! You deserve him with all the time you spent out in the woods this fall. Is this the same buck you had an encounter with your bow the weekend before gun season opened? Just curious. Congrats!!!

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/SJU

great buck….nice work….

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Quote:

Dandy indeed congrats on a great buck Craig!!

x2

coppertop
    Central MN

Nicely done Craig! He’ll look great next to “Nosey”

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Great Buck! Congrats

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Thanks everyone! I saw plenty of deer hunting, passing on smaller bucks and many doe’s.
    Ricco – the buck I saw a week before gun opener was a good 9 pointer – 135-140. He had a wierd G4 on his left beam that angled in.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats Craig on your WI gun buck! Your persistency and patience paid off and you were finally rewarded!

ozzyky
    On water

Nice rack!

les_welch

Congrats, nice buck!

jb_fastcat

Congrats on a great buck! He’s a shooter any day of the week.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Awesome buck Craig cograts!!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.