Do you ever wonder…

• mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

how we were able to harvest deer back in the day? You know, before all these fancy tree stand and grounds blinds. Before trail cameras and spotting scopes. Before scent lok suits and camo patterns. (I might be dating myself a little but oh well) Before carbon arrows and mechanical broadheads. Before scent free soap, deodorant and sprays. I don’t ever recall worrying about a shower before hitting the woods. Still we were able to harvest deer year after year. Amazing how far the hunting industry has come.

lick

I didn’t kill many deer back then

It is amazing how different hunting is now Then it was back then

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Compound bows weren’t even invented and mechanical releases weren’t even thought of yet when I started.Cedar arrows were all we had. It was a real challenge! It was great!

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

That’s why I kind of laugh at some of the gimmicks…I mean products now days. When I was young in the 80’s-90’s I’d get off school or work and put on my hunting clothes that weren’t specially washed or even clean for that matter and headed out. Even tough I had camo clothes I often times didn’t use or need them. I’ve shot deer in Carhart bibs and a sweat shirt.

My dad shot an early compound (Martin Warthog) with his finger when I was really young. He smoked and drank and still went out on stand and consistently shot deer. When I got close to hunting age he wanted more of challenge and hunted with a recurve and cedar arrows for years and still consistently killed deer. We didn’t use range finders or decoy or lures or blah blah blah. My dad was a trapper and the most sophisticated we got was using some trapping scents to cover up our own. While he didn’t put the monster bucks up on the wall like Myles Keller (they used to pal around back then) did, he shot dang near as many deer back then.

red_lab
    Winsted,MN

I was thinking the same thing today as I met all these trucks pulling 4 wheelers and utility atv’s. Does anyone drag their deer anymore? Does anyone actually walk into their spots? I guess the money spent on these machines is saved by not going thru hunting boots.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

My dad shot an early compound (Martin Warthog) with his finger when I was really young.

That is too cool the Martin Warthog was my first bow, I still have it as a matter of fact. I met Myles at his first seminar at the old Archery Headquarters in Rochester, that was one of the first times that I had heard about being as scent free as possible, Myles was definitely miles ahead (pun intended ) of everyone else in those days. Man does this thread make me feel old.

lick

I walk to my spots But don’t drag deer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.