Bigger Bucks

• craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Just from viewing many of the Ido Member Pic’s – it seems like there are better and bigger bucks running around this year. Most of the bucks on my trail cams are 2.5 year olds or older. There aren’t many spikes or forks. Could it be in part of the unharvested corn crop last fall or better deer management. What’s your take on this?

dylan1123
    wisconsin

this year so far we’ve only had 1 spike and 1 fork horn rest are meduims that will be shooters next year and theres alot of shooters this year to.

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

I think one thing, just like its a great year for growing food plots, its also a great year for growing antlers. Deer have tons of browse, great crops and also very important lots of water and moisture in their diets. I think that has been most important.

Also I know in my area more and more people are starting to pass on the 1.5-2.5 year olds. It still not where many of us would like it but certainly better than 10 maybe even 5 years ago.

I do not think I am going out on limb saying that IDO members will be shooting some great bucks this fall!!

coppertop
    Central MN

Craig, It’s just my take but only bigger bucks seem to be the only ones posted. If I posted what I’ve gotten in the last month and a half you guys would have to pick yourself off the floor from laughter. I do hope most people are joining forces towards QDM!

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

In the property in Mn, we have been practicing QDM for 8 years, most of my trail cam pic’s over the years have shown better antler growth based upon better food plots. Most of the 1.5 year old bucks are not spikes anymore, they are 4,6 and 8’s. Most of the 2.5 year olds are in the 110-120″ category, 3 year old are 125″ or better providing they don’t fall susceptible to disease, predation or car collision. There are some spikes around, but not as many like 8 years ago.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

The altered jetstream that has left most of the upper midwest far wetter than normal has also provided an excelent growing season for every thing from farm feilds to native browse. This coupled with the fact that more that more and more people are jumping on the qdm band wagon should result in plenty of work for the guys in the taxidermt trade

gobbler
    Central, MN

It has to do w/ rain , rain, and more rain. I heard this concept 7-8 years ago and believe it makes a world of difference. Every thing that a deer eats will be carrying more and better nutrients as it grows and regenerates. It’s pretty amazing what mother nature can do go affect the habitat and animals that live in the area. Plus, I don’t want to hear about your everyday episode w/ Mike the Spike this year at deer camp

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

No matter which stand I was in, it seemed like that damn Spike followed me around. Hopefully, he brings in some of his buddies with like V Buck or W 2 Buck.

lick

I think Scott and Ben nailed it it’s been a great growing year for EVERYTHING

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

No plants ever went in to protection mode until last week when antler production should be almost over, when a plant doent have to protect itself and inturn slow it own growth. With no stress the plant have kept growing and transfering more nutreints to the deer as these plants are consumed.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

The only down fall IMO is that a lot of young bucks maybe displaying some decent head gear and make get misjudged and shot, I know in most of my areas a 2year old with 110 inchs is huge, but this year most are sporting close to that

lick

And like coppertop said no one posts little buck pics

Well I did once and got picked on

huntalot60
    wisconsin

you mean a monster like this one i have about 500 pics of him, just think 4 to 5 years from now he could be 180+ and i can say i had a pic of him with his first rack

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.