Last Hunt Frustration

• huntfish42
    SSP, MN

Sunday night marked the last day of the season for me. With an unfilled archery tag I was itching to get out and fill I could hardly contain myself. My hunting partner and I reached Red Wing around 1:30 and were sitting in our blind on the north end of the bean field by around 2:00. We shared a blind because all of the deer were coming out the pines on the northwest corner of the field. Good cover is hard to find so we decided to sit together and I would take the first shot. I told him I would have one by 4:00 and he would have plenty of time to get his. He had missed two shots this year shooting under an 8 pointer at 30 yds and under a doe at 22 yds. I had not taken a shot but seen an average of 16 deer per night including several nice bucks but nothing within range. As my magic time approached Mike whispered that there were 4 does in the pines 50 yds to the north waiting to come into the field. I readied myself and waited for what seemed like an eternity. I caught the movement of the lead doe, who was so large I am positive she was half moose, creeping into the field. I slowly began to rise and waited for her head to go down before I drew. I centered my pin on her vitals and squeezed my release. I was immediately pleased as I felt the shot was perfect. I then watched in disgust as my arrow sailed an inch over her back into the lone cottonwood that marks the end of the bean field. She took three quick steps forward and stared at the cottonwood trying to figure out just what the heck happened. Mike then whispered the shot went high. Thanks for the hot tip buddy. She meandered out of range without giving me enough time to nock another arrow and disappeared into the pines again. I was ticked and pleased at the same time. Angry because I had misjudged the distance, but pleased that the miscalculation resulted in a clean miss instead of a poor hit. Been there, done that – never fun. We checked the watch and it read 4:09, I was right, and wrong. I told Mike to switch seats to the shooters chair but he insisted that I stay stating that he had already missed two this year and that I couldn’t possibly screw up twice like he did. We might see another one, sure. I waited all season to get one shot, two in one night would be borderline rediculous. Well as luck would have it 15 minutes later another doe, coming down the same trail charges into the field and begins gorging herself on the left over beans. Her head goes down. Matt stands up. Bow is drawn. Pin is centered. Released is squeezed. Arrow number two sails over deer number two’s back. I looked at Mike and asked what the range was – 33 yds. I used the thirty yard pin centered on the vitals. No misjudgement on this one. I am not sure if I was still so amped up from the first miss but I missed this one due to pulling the shot high. I sat back down and Mike said “Well, we better switch chairs cause your out of ammo”. It was true, I had brought two arrows and both were now somewhere around that cottonwood tree. We saw no more deer that night but did find both of my spent arrows. We figured that since he keeps missing low and I keep missing high that next year he will hold the bow and I will draw and shoot and our mishaps should balance out into one perfectly placed shot. You gotta love this life!

spd800
    NW Metro

Bummer……have you shot your bow to see if something moved on your sights?

Or are you “out of ammo.”

huntfish42
    SSP, MN

Quote:

Bummer……have you shot your bow to see if something moved on your sights?

Or are you “out of ammo.”

Not yet, I was going to go tonight but I have dinner plans

lick

Bummer I would definately shoot a few arrows before hitting the woods again

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Quote:

Bummer I would definately shoot a few arrows before hitting the woods again

X2

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Even though you missed twice, I sincerely like your sense of humor! Hunting is built on shared memories and not always by the deer we kill. I’m sure the two of you will laugh and remember that night for a long time. Thanks for sharing!

coppertop
    Central MN

Yep, you two will remember the 09 season for quite some time.

martysddw
    EC, Wisconsin

Always good when you can laugh at yourself . Been there done that, and you just shake your head and go on. Good luck if you get in one last hunt. I’ll be out there next weekend- sooner if we get a big chill.

abster71
    crawford county WI

any chance they jumped the string they always say to aim at the lowest kill point good luck

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. Yep hunting with a buddy you two will be reliving that hunt for years to come! I would also wear what ever you wore in the blind that night when you check your sights/arrow again. Often wearing big clothes, gloves, mask, hat, etc. can change your aiming/anchor point, etc.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.