UNOFFICIAL NEW WORLD RECORD VELVET

• Frontenac Man
    Lake City, MN

I hear ya Newt, I have also heard a TON of rumors about this deer!

I heard one that he sold the rack to Cabela’s for something like $250,000. Does anyone know if this is true?

newt
    Pillager, MN

I heard the Cabelas rumor too, don’t know if it’s true or not. My co-worker’s wife never talked to the hunter’s wife. Sounds like Jake has the scoop on the let off rumor. I guess I should have my let off checked… just in case .

newt
    Pillager, MN

I heard the Cabelas rumor too, don’t know if it’s true or not. My co-worker’s wife never talked to the hunter’s wife. Sounds like Jake has the scoop on the let off rumor. I guess I should have my let off checked… just in case .

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

It disgusts me how rumors always seem to start when someone shoots a large buck. Most of these rumors begin with pure jealousy. People refuse to believe that someone else could get such a large buck legally. It is always the same rumors: He shot it at night, he baited it, he shot it with a rifle, he was tresspassing. Pure jealousy.
    These rumors are anything but harmless. There are a lot of people who hear these and believe them. These rumors cause hurt feelings, mistrust, and distain.
    I have a neighbor,Don Frandrup, who arrowed an extremely large buck last year. He took this deer legally but the rumor all over was that his land could not have held a buck this large so he must have trespassed on another persons land. I heard that he poached it at night. This was a legally taken buck. You could not stop at a local bar without hearing people talk about how he should be ashamed of himself. Disgusting.
    There is no hope for people who start rumors out of jealousy but we must be very careful not to help spread these rumors. My two cents.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

It disgusts me how rumors always seem to start when someone shoots a large buck. Most of these rumors begin with pure jealousy. People refuse to believe that someone else could get such a large buck legally. It is always the same rumors: He shot it at night, he baited it, he shot it with a rifle, he was tresspassing. Pure jealousy.
    These rumors are anything but harmless. There are a lot of people who hear these and believe them. These rumors cause hurt feelings, mistrust, and distain.
    I have a neighbor,Don Frandrup, who arrowed an extremely large buck last year. He took this deer legally but the rumor all over was that his land could not have held a buck this large so he must have trespassed on another persons land. I heard that he poached it at night. This was a legally taken buck. You could not stop at a local bar without hearing people talk about how he should be ashamed of himself. Disgusting.
    There is no hope for people who start rumors out of jealousy but we must be very careful not to help spread these rumors. My two cents.

Gator Hunter

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Is it just me or are some of these rules really pointless? Let it be a new catagory but it can’t be entered because of being over 65% let off? Hey, if you could invent 100% let off, don’t you still have to get within range, with a clear shot, and shoot them with an arrow in vital spot? That’s like saying a trophy gun buck can’t be in the record books because it wasn’t a shotgun or it was bigger than a 30-30! What does let off have to do with the legitimacy of a successful hunt?

This is why I don’t trophy hunt. I hope for big horns as a bonus to the adventure and a good story to tell. Beyond that, it’s just too much hassle.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Is it just me or are some of these rules really pointless? Let it be a new catagory but it can’t be entered because of being over 65% let off? Hey, if you could invent 100% let off, don’t you still have to get within range, with a clear shot, and shoot them with an arrow in vital spot? That’s like saying a trophy gun buck can’t be in the record books because it wasn’t a shotgun or it was bigger than a 30-30! What does let off have to do with the legitimacy of a successful hunt?

This is why I don’t trophy hunt. I hope for big horns as a bonus to the adventure and a good story to tell. Beyond that, it’s just too much hassle.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Well the shooter of this beauty is in Canada right now looking for another big one. Maybe next week when he gets back we can get an update on all of the technicalities and put the rumor mongers to rest.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Well the shooter of this beauty is in Canada right now looking for another big one. Maybe next week when he gets back we can get an update on all of the technicalities and put the rumor mongers to rest.

newt
    Pillager, MN

Hey Kid, I hear what your sayin. He shot it with a legal bow and arrow – should be in the book. Doesn’t make sense.

Hopefully Sarge can get the full scoop when the hunter gets back from the across the border.

newt
    Pillager, MN

Hey Kid, I hear what your sayin. He shot it with a legal bow and arrow – should be in the book. Doesn’t make sense.

Hopefully Sarge can get the full scoop when the hunter gets back from the across the border.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I totally agree, He did his homework, Aimed and shot it with a bow and arrow period. Let offs shouldn’t be a consideration, let off is let off. Some choose to hold the bow longer in a shooting position to steady thier shot, SO THEY DON”T MISS, thats a plus.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I totally agree, He did his homework, Aimed and shot it with a bow and arrow period. Let offs shouldn’t be a consideration, let off is let off. Some choose to hold the bow longer in a shooting position to steady thier shot, SO THEY DON”T MISS, thats a plus.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Another thing,, those people who spread the rumors around too me are just about as bad as the ones who start them. If they knew anthing about hunting, which i’ll bet they think they do but don’t, They would just listen and think it might not be true, or who really knows, or you know how rumors get started. The hunter probably arrowed him legally and more than likely did, my thoughts!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Another thing,, those people who spread the rumors around too me are just about as bad as the ones who start them. If they knew anthing about hunting, which i’ll bet they think they do but don’t, They would just listen and think it might not be true, or who really knows, or you know how rumors get started. The hunter probably arrowed him legally and more than likely did, my thoughts!

bassguy
    MANKATO

I AGREE WITH YOU STILLKID. I AM A TROPHY BUCK HUNTER, SO I PURCHASED MY CURRENT BOW WITH THE 65% LET OFF CAM TO AVOID ANY POTENTIAL HASSELS. I FOUND OUT THAT I SHOOT A LOT MORE ACCURATE WITH THE LIGHTER LET OFF ALSO. I JUST WISH I WOULD SEE SOME LARGER HORNS.

bassguy
    MANKATO

I AGREE WITH YOU STILLKID. I AM A TROPHY BUCK HUNTER, SO I PURCHASED MY CURRENT BOW WITH THE 65% LET OFF CAM TO AVOID ANY POTENTIAL HASSELS. I FOUND OUT THAT I SHOOT A LOT MORE ACCURATE WITH THE LIGHTER LET OFF ALSO. I JUST WISH I WOULD SEE SOME LARGER HORNS.

Bogsucker
    SE MN

I’m sure the 60 day waiting period has expired for this buck. Has anyone heard any updates on the status of his score?

Bogsucker
    SE MN

I’m sure the 60 day waiting period has expired for this buck. Has anyone heard any updates on the status of his score?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

From this weeks Outdoor News November 28, 2003.

Quote:

LARGEST VELVET BUCK. Jim Kostroski, of Rochester, arrowed this 17-point buck in Olmsted County on opening day of the 2003 archery season. Official scorer Dave Boland measured the antlers at 214 nontypical, making them the largest in-velvet antlers on record with the Pope and Young Club. The largest velvet buck prior to Kostroski’s deer scored 196 3/8 and was taken in 2001 by Michael McFerrin in Texas. For perspective, the current world record nontypical archery buck, a Nebraska deer, scored 279 7/8. The current state record was killed in 1992 by Gary Martin in Todd County and scored 222 5/8.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

From this weeks Outdoor News November 28, 2003.

Quote:

LARGEST VELVET BUCK. Jim Kostroski, of Rochester, arrowed this 17-point buck in Olmsted County on opening day of the 2003 archery season. Official scorer Dave Boland measured the antlers at 214 nontypical, making them the largest in-velvet antlers on record with the Pope and Young Club. The largest velvet buck prior to Kostroski’s deer scored 196 3/8 and was taken in 2001 by Michael McFerrin in Texas. For perspective, the current world record nontypical archery buck, a Nebraska deer, scored 279 7/8. The current state record was killed in 1992 by Gary Martin in Todd County and scored 222 5/8.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

correct me if i’m wrong, but i believe there was an article on the 3rd or 4th page stating that P&Y are doing away with the %65 let off rule now. i didn’t get a chance to read it, but maybe steve could get it up here for us.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

correct me if i’m wrong, but i believe there was an article on the 3rd or 4th page stating that P&Y are doing away with the %65 let off rule now. i didn’t get a chance to read it, but maybe steve could get it up here for us.

Bogsucker
    SE MN

Yes, Pope and Young Club is changing the rules effective in 2004, however the listing, of animals shot with a bow with greater than 65% let-off, will be designated as such. Check out “Club News” on their website.

Bogsucker
    SE MN

Yes, Pope and Young Club is changing the rules effective in 2004, however the listing, of animals shot with a bow with greater than 65% let-off, will be designated as such. Check out “Club News” on their website.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Heard a little news flash on KTTC that they will have a story on this buck on the news tonight. Haven’t seen Jim in weeks to talk to him. Should be interesting and maybe put all the rumors to rest.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Heard a little news flash on KTTC that they will have a story on this buck on the news tonight. Haven’t seen Jim in weeks to talk to him. Should be interesting and maybe put all the rumors to rest.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Thanks for the info Brian, I hope its on the 10pm news as I missed the 6pm edition

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.