Meat in the freezer!

• scottsteil
    Central MN

Pike, Bluegill, Walleye, Crappie & Perch in that order as long as the pike is nice and white. Otherwise it is Bluegill first. Pan fried in 1/2 oil and 1/2 butter flavored Crisco. That was supper last night

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m with you Scott!

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

I’m with you Scott!

Looks like Woody is too!!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

no, I think the dog has that look because the photographer has no clothes on.

herb
    6ft under

Thanks Chomps, that plate of fish don’t look so good now.

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Here is a great way to fix pike. We do this on some of our guide trips with larger groups and it goes over big.

Minnesota Cajun Pike Recipe – From the Early Bird Guide, Jeff Sundin

Catching Northern Pike in the Grand Rapids area has new meaning for folks who have tried my “semi blackened Pike”. Sometimes I refer to this jokingly as “Norwegian Style Cajun” because we prepare it using only a light coat of seasoning. Once you try this, you’ll be back for more and I guarantee this will be a hit with your friends and family.

A delicious and healthful way to prepare Pike of 2 to 3 pounds in size. The ingredients are simple and the finished product is light and mouth watering. This is the “tenderloin” of freshwater fish dishes.

*We strongly recommend preparing this dish outside using a propane cooker.

Ingredients: Pike fillets boned and cut into thirds, Olive Oil, Louisiana Cajun Spice Mix (or substitute your favorite spice mix). If you don’t care for the spicy version. Just use a little lemon pepper and a dash of salt.
    1) Prepare the fillets by cutting them into thirds and coating them with Olive oil. Use only enough olive oil to lightly coat each fillet to prevent sticking in the hot pan. You do not need any oil in the pan!

2) Lightly sprinkle each fillet with spice mix prior to placing in the frying pan.

3) Pre-heat a cast iron (best), steel or other non-teflon-coated frying pan under high heat without oil. You’ll know it’s ready when you begin to see smoke coming from the dry pan. Sear the Northern Pike fillets for a few minutes on each side until fish is cooked, but do not over-cook fish until it dries out. Fillets should be served juicy and hot

This simple, healthful and delicious dish can be prepared in just a few minutes and it only takes a couple of these small Pike make a great meal for my family of four.

This is a great way to fix pike but again cook this outside as it will be smokin.
    Arnie

skircher

I like Pike best followed by Pannies and Walleye. The pike fillets have to be firm and white to beat out the others. I’ve found that if you don’t let the whole fish freeze on the ice and fillet as soon as possible (don’t let them get slimy)the fillets are always good. Also, it doesn’t hurt to cover fillets with water and put them in the frig for a few hours. They firm up fast and it leeches out any blood.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Tied for first, Crappie, Sunnies, Perch and Walleye. Second is catfish, then Pike. I love the crappies in the egg wash, cracker crumbs then fried in oil ’til they curl up…. yummy !!! Then dipped in homemade tartar sauce. Washed down with a HIGH LIFE, it don’t get much better than that

big g

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Any fish at Big D’s, on the opener, in beer batter.

advantage

Panfish and Walleye…But what about some Rainbow Trout? I just hooked up three this morning and went to work late-Wife said thats dinner mmmmm.

Remember this-Fish is good and eating um is better!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

The DNR put a ton of rainbows into a small lake here in Sioux City, my budddy has the knack for finding them and can get his 4 fish limit in no time, was wondering what to do with them if I decide to give it a try. Smoked? Baked? what is the best way?

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

I guess my list would go like this….

1. Yellow Bass
    2. Walleye (14-16) incher
    3. Perch
    4. Crappie

For those of you who have never eaten a yellow bass you don’t know what you missing. They are nice and firm even in the water water months.

zmax54636

Went out saterday morning and saw 1 doe that didnt come into range. with the warm weather I was wondering if I should even go out sat night so I fliped a coin and then went to the wood I was in the stand maybe 20 minutes when I heard somthing coming from my right and thats when I saw the horns hahaha to little spikes came right down the valley and continued to the corn field then about 5 minuets after that a decent doe came down the same trail but decided to go on another trail at about 30 yards so I took aim and let her fly. this was the bad part I thought it was a great shot and had all kinds of confidence out to 30-35 yards but I must have jerked a little and I ended up hitting her in the neck she ran 30 or 40 yards and was done. anyways first venison in my tummy for the year had some last night and it was great!!

prieser
    Byron, MN

Great work, hot out there I bet.

lick

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Nice job!!

Jami

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats! Thanks for sharing your hunt with us!

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

Congrats!

Thanks for sharing to hunt

Jeff

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Nice deer. Just seems crazy to be bowhunting in short sleeves. I hope it cools down for the MN opener!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Great job

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Venny in the freezer! Way to go Z!!!

big_hunter
    eagan, mn

way to go! thanks for the story.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Great work! Best part about an early doe is that the pressure’s off, and you can be selective for the remainder of the season.

Joel

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

They are starting to hit the ground!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

whittsend

It was pretty warm Sunday, too. Especially if you have a nice thick black coat. I helped cool him off.

Like you said, meat in the freezer, baby!

Mike

Viewing 28 posts - 31 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.