Meat in the freezer!

• ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

My favorite fish to eat is Yellow bass, you get fillets like a crappie with the texture of a bluegill. I don’t have any special recipes but I’m going to try yours!

Ed

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

My favorite fish to eat….SOMETHING YOU COOK MAN!!

I am a simpleton….I like baking mine..little lemon, cashews and almonds.
    Still healthy that way as well…

chomps
    Sioux City IA

yep, I think blue gills are tasty. I like the crushed saltine crackers and an equal amount of panko (Japanese bread crumb) and a good lemon pepper. Dip fish in egg wash then to crumbs, oil shouldn’t be much more than 350 degrees b/c the panko will burn easy. MMM good
    I like a tarter sauce with real mayo, fine chopped red onion, fine chopped Norweigan dill pickles, chopped cappers, chopped fresh parsley, and fresh lemon juice, blend and let chill for an hour, guaranteed to please. Now I’m hungry!

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Northern pike all the way.

Chunked small with any dry batter, then deep fried in peanut oil…….Oh yeah!!

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Sunfish or perch hands down.
    Firm, small, tasty fillets can’t be beat.

jesse
    mn

Pike, walleye and crappie. Wrap them in aluminum foil with butter and lemon pepper and place in the oven at 325-350, or my favorite on the grill. Very quick, easy and delicious way to cook them! I am definately trying some of the other recipes as well, thanks for the tips

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I guess I’m partial to walleye as I was born and raised on them.

I do enjoy fried with saltiens as the crust. I also like to wrap the fish with butter and lemon pepper inside of tinfoil and grill it.

My grandfather would clean walleye by scaling them, remove the guts, and cut off the fins and head. My grandmother would then flour them up and brown them in a pan with salt and pepper. Once browned she’d bake them for about 30-45 minutes. This was my favorite.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Hands down, without a doubt, jumbo perch all the way! How can you beat them? I mean come on! Oh man, I’m hungry now!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I like them all and your recipes are very good.

Worlds best tartar sauce:

eqaul parts of Miracle whip and mayo
    1 table spoon of dill relish or sweet if your prefer / cup of above.
    Juice of 1 half of a lemon per cup of above
    dash salt

Mix thoroughly let sit in fridge for half hour or more is best but can be eaten right away.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Northern Pike dipped in a mix of melted butter and Garlic salt then sprinkled with paprika and broiled until golden brown on each side.

I save the melted butter for dipping while eating.

Thanks everyone for the new receipts

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

I prefer pan fried brook trout the 7 to 10 inch variety…rolled in flour, fried in butter in a cast iron skillet until the tails are crispy. Let them cool on some paper towel…nothing finer! Especially if they go right from the stream to the frying pan!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Bluegills are number 1 on the list for me too. Crappies, perch, and walleyes to follow. Hands down the best fish I’ve had in a long time were the panfish in the deep fryer at Dman’s last opener. You guys know how to cook fish. Coming in a close second was our fresh catch of perch cooked for us at Hunter’s Point. BTW, I’ll except any unfrozen eelpout donations because they really aren’t any good to eat.

bigpike

Bluegils, skin on and hopefully a little crucnhy tail…..yumm-o

Seth Larson
    Winfield, MO

I love Northern Pike. There is a lot more meat on each fish and it taste the same as anything else in a frying pan.

As for a recipe, I really like to buy a batter from Bass Pro. It is a little spicy, reasonably priced and produces a lot of fish out of one can. Give it a try! The link is below.

Uncle Bucks

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My Order – Pike, Perch, Sunfish, Walleye
    Recipe – Equal mix shore lunch, fry magic, and Bread crumbs – Deep fried

RoadKing

Favorite is a 1 to 1 1/2 pound Channel Cat. Skinned rolled in some seasonings and fried in bacon grease. Add a brew and some fries, could be a great last meal!

paul follmer
    any where there biting

Quote:

Hands down, without a doubt, jumbo perch all the way! How can you beat them? I mean come on! Oh man, I’m hungry now!

PERCH AND MORE PERCH, SOME POTATOES THEN A LITTLE BEER OPPPS ALOTA BEER

Pederm
    Oakdale, MN

These are some great posts everyone. I find it interesting the variety of favorites. Like I thought, they all taste similar it just ends up being preference for each person. I give to the catfish recipe. Gotta love that bacon grease!

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

Northern Pike grilled on a cedar plank with mushrooms and broccoli, then served on a bed of minnesota wild rice.

steveskoal
    St.Cloud

Sunnies or Walleye/Sauger dipped in Andys seasoning mix..Andys is DAbomb

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Bluegill, Walleye and Perch….in that order. All dipped in homemade breading and fried in peanut oil.

Chad

riverfan
    MN

Eelpout poached in a torsk recipe and served with drawn butter. You’d swear its lobster.

John

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

Eelpout poached in a torsk recipe

I have wanted to try this, can you elaborate on the “torsk” part?

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Whitefish smoked!!!!!!!

I just soaked it in saltwater for a few days then smoked for 4 hours at 190 degrees.

herb
    6ft under

SHEEPSHEAD
    The recipe is a secret though.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Bluegill/crappie fillets in an egg-wash and dipped in pretzels crumbs processed in your blender to the same consistency of cracker crumbs. Pan fry or deep fry in peanut oil. A word of warning………do not use the “fines” from the bottom of the pretzel bag!!! SALTEEEEE!!!

riverfan
    MN

Quote:

I have wanted to try this, can you elaborate on the “torsk” part?

I dont have the receipe in front of me but it’s water, white cooking wine, bay leave and lemon. I’ll try to get it to you next week.

John

robby
    Quad Cities

I just gotta say, this post is downright cruel to have this time of year!!! My favorite is bass, walleye, pike, crappie, or bluegill. Dipped in egg, rolled in Bisquick, and fried in Crisco in a cast iron skillit. Little salt and pepper and magic in your mouth. Not so good for you, but worth the subtracted minutes of life. LOL. My Stepmon also always included “cheesy potatoes” in the meal. They are still my favorite. They consist of instant taters, cream cheese, and shredded cheddar. Again, not so good for you, but worth it. My darned mouth is watering now. Thanks alot!!!!

riverfan
    MN

FAUX LOBSTER

2 lb. torsk or cod
    1 tsp. salt
    1 bay leaf
    2 slices of onion
    2 slices of lemon
    1/2 c. white wine

Cut the fish in serving size pieces (3 to 4 inches in length). Place in large pot and cover with water. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a rapid boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 12 minutes. Drain and serve with lemon wedges and melted butter (may substitute butter, but butter is best).

Replace cod with eelpout. Just to prove it to myself I did winter caught sunnies and walleyes along with the eelpout. It wasn’t the recipe!

john

corey-studer

There’s so many great recipes out there, but lately the kids have me deep frying blue gills. I too go with the egg bath then into a 50/50 mix of potato flakes and shore lunch. However, last night I used an Italian three cheese crumb mix instead of the shore lunch(ran out). Must be good because the 3 1/2 year olds ate more than mom and dad!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.