2008 is in the books!!!

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Well, tonight was the last in my year of “Firsts!” I got my first ever turkey in October. And tonight I got my first ever deer with a muzzleloader! Not the best of pictures, but the hunt was fantastic! Last Sunday I passed up a shot at these three does as I thought the shot was not the best I could have taken, so I passed. When I got out there tonight (Minutes from my garage! ) I thought of setting up in a different location. Closer to where they came out last Sunday. But the more I looked at it, I thought I was in the best spot to intercept them. Just before dark, I caught movement coming through the coulee, and low and behold they ran right up to the bottom of the ridge I was on. The smallest came up first, and winded me immediately. The other two stepped up to her, and I picked the biggest of the three. She is a nice doe. Had to wait for the smoke to clear before I could see if I hit her or not…

Funny thing was that there was a bucket down there that I was going to use to shoot my gun off Sunday night if I didn’t get a deer…and here this doe landed inches from it.

Thanks to my sled dog Jami Ritter for hauling it up the hill to my wheeler! That will cost me…no doubt. But I avoided a heart attack!

Now I am going to get that UltraDot mounted on it.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Congratulations Tuck! I’ve never shot a deer with a smokepole but hope to try it next year. How far were they from you? What caliber did you use?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Thanks! They were 50 yards out and broadside, and it was the new Thompson Omega Z5 .50 cal with 290 Gr. Platinum Powerbelts with 777 pellets.

Thanks to all of you guys who helped me out in pointing me towards this gun! This gun was used in all kinds of weather, and the powder stayed nice and dry.

lick

congrats a new “favorite” weapon maybe??? i know i love mine wtg again

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

We’ll see after some off season shooting when I can really do some tweaking…

rdmil

Congradts….Still yet so get one with my smokepole

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats Tuck! When I spoke to you earlier today at lunch, you were pretty confident that you would get an opportunity tonight and you were right!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Yeah Brad, I was thinking about that…Funny how that works….

My boys and I have a deer song that we sing when we score a deer…Kinda corny, but it is that Bonjovi song and it goes “Shot through the heart! And I’m to blame! I give deer.. A bad pain!”

My son Ben was coming back from college in Ely and texted me “Dad, Shot through the heart” is on the radio! At just that time, those does ran up to me. So I had to call him singing the song! Poorly at that.

coppertop
    Central MN

Congrats on you first of hopefully many!

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Congrats Tuck on the smokepole kill….now get your ice gear out leaving in a bit to panfish winona till tomorrow night!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Yeah Brad, I was thinking about that…Funny how that works….

My boys and I have a deer song that we sing when we score a deer…Kinda corny, but it is that Bonjovi song and it goes “Shot through the heart! And I’m to blame! I give deer.. A bad pain!”

My son Ben was coming back from college in Ely and texted me “Dad, Shot through the heart” is on the radio! At just that time, those does ran up to me. So I had to call him singing the song! Poorly at that.

Awesome! Another classic example of why hunting is all about what you make it!

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

congrats on your first smokepole kill!!!!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Way to GO, Chris,
    Jack

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Nice Job Tuck
    It’s cool waiting for the smoke to clear to see your deer

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Congrats Tuck!

Nice year a Turkey and now a smoke pole Deer!

So what did the sled dog Ritter charge ya???

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Congrats Tuck!

Nice year a Turkey and now a smoke pole Deer!

So what did the sled dog Ritter charge ya???

Funny you ask that rip… I’m sitting in my blind and get a text from tuck saying he shot one and asks if i’d help drag, i call him a few girly names thinking he’s bs’ing me. Then I get snorted at, seems that one pack of 3 does i’ve been watching is oh 15 yrds or so from my blind..

Oh well, I wasn’t going to shoot them anyway, once they wondered off I climbed out, got the wheeler and headed over to Tuck. He had it gutted out and we popped her in the sled, I grab the rope and put it around my waist, find a path where I can grab a tree every now and then for a break and away I go. Thinking that Tuck will be assisting….

As I finally reach the top of the ravine, I turn around and there’s Tuck, about 20 feet behind me…

I haven’t come up with a payment plan yet. But I’m sure it will be a doosie.

Jami

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Ritt

Ritter, do you do field calls??? If I shoot one up North on this Public piece it is a good mile to the road. Can I call you????

burbob
    Hastings,MN

Good shootin Tuck. Everyone needs a good pack mule Jami told me the story on the phone but it was hard to understand with all the heavy breathing he was doing

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Sure Lip, give me a buzz. I guess I’m good for something…

Jami

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I tried jumping in the sled for the ride up…but I couldn’t catch up to the little mountain goat!

I gotta stop….I mean START working out.

Ritter, I told you that I tried talking her up to the top of the hill before I shot her to make it easier on you.

burbob
    Hastings,MN

Quote:

give me a buzz

I don’t even know what to say here ritt. All I know is I wouldn’t want a BUZZ from you

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Quote:

give me a buzz

I don’t even know what to say here ritt. All I know is I wouldn’t want a BUZZ from you

Ouch! I forgot about that!!! The Rage Haircut!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Quote:

give me a buzz

dang bobby, trying to forget that one…. You want a haircut this afternoon?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.