swamp buck

• FishnFire

This post is a little late but better than never. November 9th, i was hunting at our deer camp just outside of Grand Rapids. There are 6 of us who hunt here. Opening day we saw a total of 2 deer, between 6 guys, and all of us go into the woods at dark and leave at dark. There were hardly any shots also.
    So sunday the 9th comes and the morning is the same deal, very few shots, and no deer to be seen. The wind was howling and snow was coming down. Around noon, i decided to switch stands and to head to one which is surrounded by swamps and the stand is on a little piece of highground, with 5 year old popples surrounding it.
    At 330 i look down a shooting lane to my right, and all i saw was this deer’s rack. What he did is he took a step out and looked down the shooting lane, and then stepped back just in time so i couldnt get a shot off. (He was a pretty smart deer). At this time my heart was racing and i was feeling pretty bummed and wish i would have took a shot instead of waiting. So for the next 10 minutes i could just see his rack waving in the air thru the popples making rubs and scrapes. I cant tell you how many times i fogged up my scope. Then i saw a doe walk thru, and had a good feeling he would follow, then 2 minutes later he came and i took a good broadside shot and he took off. A minute later i saw him drop in my other shooting lane. I waited 10 minutes and ran to get him.
    This is my biggest deer by far, and in the top 10 that our camp has ever taken. he field dressed at 227 pounds. It was a good way to break in my brand new 270 A Bolt! In the pic it looks like it was a gut shot but it was not, we think he fell on a sharp stick when he went down. he only ran a total of 50 yards. we also hunt another place which has no swamps, and have noticed over the years, and we think the bucks that live in the swamps generaly have a longer body and legs than the ones that live in the highground areas. And this deer definately showed that, he was incredably long, both body and his legs.

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Nice job Grant on that big woods buck. Our deer camp is just east of Hill City, To me up there is what deer camp is all about.

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

Congrats on the nice deer! Thanks for sharing your experience!

lick

Quote:

Your says it all! A real trophy in anyones eyes!

agreed nice

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Suitable for framing!!!
    Very nice!!!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congratulations Grant on an awesome buck! It paid off big time to remain patient and wait for the right shot!

I got a chance to meet Grant this summer at the IDO get together on Mille Lacs and we got to spend some time on the water together. He has a tremendous amount of passion for fishing and hunting and is mature way beyond his age.

Keep huntin and fishin hard Grant and good things will continue to happen for you!

blush
    Maple Grove, Minnesota

Congratulations on a nice buck Grant.

It was great meeting you at the IDO get together this summer. As Brad stated, you are mature beyond your years and your passion for the outdoors is evident in your actions and the post that you wrote. Great job! Hopefully we can get out on the water again this summer. Brad and I may be in Duluth tomorrow (Saturday) – I will have him give you a call if we head that way.

coppertop
    Central MN

Quality was definately over quantity! Awesome looking buck. Congrats!

FishnFire

thank you everyone! my girlfriends dad is a taxidermist and hes mounting this for me for my christmas present so i will be getting it back shortly. i cant wait!

YA brad give me a call if your in town and have a few free minutes, maybe we could meet up and have a beer or pop or something.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

beautiful buck!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

227 pounds dressed is a nice buck in anybodys book, way to go!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.