Anyone hear of………

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Anyone hear of the news story of a man from Minnesota (Madelia) area that was busted for transporting live deer from the Madelia area down to Texas to a Ranch/Game Farm??? Can anyone give me the scoop or point me to the news article on this???? My Mom was just telling me about it. 2 years ago I had a GIANT and I mean GIANT buck that just disappeared from down there. If someone would have legally taken this deer it would have been in the papers for sure. I never heard from any of the local farmers of a big one being shot in the area either. It makes sense if this is true.

Thanks for any info!

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

That’s enough to make anyone sick.

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

Wow, that is crazy!! THose guys are going to have a rough time in prison.

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

Not good. . If they made that much money there fine should be more.

rdmil

Quote:

Wow, that is crazy!! THose guys are going to have a rough time in prison.

Hope they remember to drop the soap

kevinbrantner
    West Central Wisconsin

Do you ever just sit and think about what it is that drives us to act the way we do when it comes to big bucks??? I understand money was the driving force in this case but people obviously change when hunting season rolls around. It’s almost like a bunch of sharks with their eyes rolled back in their heads at feeding time.

I think in this case if they made $300,000 they should have to pay $350,000 in fines and do hard labor for the farmers in the area(s) they took the deer from for however many years they were sentenced for. This canned deer thing needs to stop!!!

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Quote:

Do you ever just sit and think about what it is that drives us to act the way we do when it comes to big bucks???
    I spend enough just with the love of deer hunting, I could believe if all I persued was bigger and bigger racks.

coppertop
    Central MN

Stink, Stank, Stunk! How is that hunter going to brag how he shot a world class deer after only 1 hour in the now??? For the 3rd year in a row!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

It does happen enough every year. They got a couple guys from down in the kentucky Tennesse area a few years ago that were poaching southern Iowa. When they stopped them they had a trunk full of heads with the racks still on them, from what I heard they threw the book at them.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

That is the one Walleye, THANK YOU!

Happy Birthday also!

It just really makes me sick and think about that buck that was cruising around down there. After talking with the landowner of the land I hunt down there, this gentlemen had a farm just down the road. The way she explained it I think it is the farm 1.5 miles to the East and it tend to hold some big deer. I usually get the smaller bucks that get booted off this river bottom farm land. It is just strange how a buck like the one I was chasing could just disappear. Not saying this is what happened to him but pretty weird. Last time I saw him was late season one year and he never surfaced or heard about him again the next. He was the talk of the area and the farmers would always tell me they seen him walking on the piece I hunt. Then NADA????????

My guess they must of been tranquilizing these deer from MN and crating them up???? It just makes me wonder if that big boy had this fate???

scottsteil
    Central MN

Rob, these are pen raised deer that they were smuggling across state lines. Northern Deer are popular down South because of the large body size. Often times breeders cross Large Northern whitetail with southern whitetail to get huge racks yet maintain the large body size.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

That’s what I thought Scott. I know of a game farm in Avon that was raising big bucks, and they would be sold to places down south for just that.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Scott are you sure on the pen raised???? I just ask because of this statement!

Quote:

Both men were convicted of felony violations of the federal Lacey Act, which prohibits the transportation of illegally captured or prohibited animals across state lines.

or in short “ILLEGALLY CAPTURED”???????? Anyone can shed more light on this????

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

The other thing that chaps my is they Smuggle $300,000 worth of deer and they pay a single $50,0000 fine. So you sit in jail for 2 years and still make $62,500 a year each while in jail.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

And 3 squares and a warm bed!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.