Anyone have answer?

• rdmil

Just curious if anyone knows what causes bucks to get the “acorns” in there racks. I heard it is caused by bugs getting into there velvet but im not sure if thats right. Anyone have a answere please let me know

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I’ve always thought it was a jam job when in velvet. Much like when you stub a toe. But also curious to see if anyone knows the real answer.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

No one really knows and it’s mostly speculation in regard to insects and self inflicted wounds from velvet.

What also is interesting is small holes found underneath the main beam. They are usually located underneath the G3 and G4 which makes me believe it may be genetics.

This buck has an acorn on its left side G3. He also had two holes under his main beam as well – but it’s hard to see in this photo.

PowerFred

I’ve been told that the holes that are in the main beams are actually veins that never quite closed up when the antler hardened.

Antler is the fastest growing tissue on a deer. It makes sense that it takes a ton of blood flow to grow a big rack, thus a big vein running through it. When the blood flow stops and the horn hardens, it could leave a hole.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Very interesting PowerFred and it makes sense.

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Quote:

I’ve been told that the holes that are in the main beams are actually veins that never quite closed up when the antler hardened.

Antler is the fastest growing tissue on a deer. It makes sense that it takes a ton of blood flow to grow a big rack, thus a big vein running through it. When the blood flow stops and the horn hardens, it could leave a hole.

That IS a good point. I’ll take it!

kevinbrantner
    West Central Wisconsin

It’s from eating too many acorns…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.