My buddy shot a monster…BUT

• sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I will volunteer to help distract, knock out, fight, or any other action that will allow mossboss and his buddy to retrieve that deer Ill even help drag that buck outta there!!! I wouldn’t care what a landowner, CO, Sheriff, SWAT, or any other authority would say about this, HE has an unwritten oath in deer hunting that you don’t give up on an animal unless you KNOW FOR SURE that the animal will make it!!! He KNOWS that buck is dead and he KNOWS it’s a dandy so WTF is he waiting for!?!? That just blows my mind

He cant retrieve it because people act like this!!

Easy guys, it is easy to get upset over something like this.

Being on the outside looking in I can see it from both sides. That is hard to believe if you know me. I am a hunter that hangs his head if I lose a crippled pheasant yet a lone a 160 class buck.
    I sit here reading people tell the hunter and others to knowingly break the law by trespassing. The hunter asked the landowner and a CO yet still has been denied permission to access that piece of land.
    Nothing can be done after doing what he has. His next step is to try bring in some media coverage and eventually change the law.

I feel sickened by this as do most of you but we as hunters can not turn on each other by calling each other names OR by knowingly breaking the law.
    Right or wrong that is how I feel about this.

Ron

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

I feel sickened by this as do most of you but we as hunters can not turn on each other by calling each other names OR by knowingly breaking the law.
    Right or wrong that is how I feel about this.

Ron

I could not agree more Ron, it’s things like this when we admit in an open forum that we would break the law that give all hunters a bad name with the non hunting public.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I think alot of what was said should be taking with a grain of salt! We are all upset over this and can not imagine a so called “hunter or sportsman” would act like that!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Quote:

I think alot of what was said should be taking with a grain of salt! We are all upset over this and can not imagine a so called “hunter or sportsman” would act like that!

Exactly!! we want to act out unconscious behaviors but our ego is suppressing them. I bet i wouldn’t break the law if i was in his shoes

bowhunterml

I am a fairly new member to this site and am truly appalled with what is being written here!

Are we honestly telling people to break the law? Ethics tells us to do whatever possible to recover an animal we have shot but I believe that means everything LEGALLY possible. Some of you should sit back and actually read what you have written. If this is truly you then I hope I never have the chance to share a hunting camp with you.

I can understand the frustrations but this is truly food for the anti’s! Remember there are 2 sides to every story and I would love to hear the landowners side. How can we judge him proper without giving him a chance? Actually the hunter must share some of the blame for what has happened. I know when I find a new area to hunt I try to contact all of the neighbors and introduce myself. It is a good time to explain what your intentions are and to get off on the right foot. If you find out then that a neighbor will not let you trail a wounded animal then you need to rethink your hunting strategy and place your stands accordingly.

I truly feel sorry for your buddy and what transpired but he can take solice in knowing he has done what he could to recover the animal. The rest of us need to remember the definition of ethics: our actions when we are alone. Maybe it could also be defined as what we write when we feel we are anonymous.

Mike

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Welcome to In-Depth Outdoors Mike!!!

I agree with you 100% it would be nice to hear the land owners side of the story.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

it all depends on what kind of animal you shot, how big, and the importance it is to you to recover that animal. I bet a lot of people would do things differently if this was YOU we are talking about.
    Regarding what you are saying about introducing yourself to neighbors. To me, this is a good and bad idea. Im talking about the state of MN here. It is legal to go onto another property unarmed to retrieve game unless told otherwise. You are setting yourself up for a bad situation if you introduce yourself to a neighbor of the property you hunt that doesn’t allow you to go on their land, period. This person is now going to be on the watch whenever they see your truck to make sure you aren’t going on their property
    If you do go onto their property and they catch you, well then you are in trouble. But if you don’t introduce yourself then you can go onto that property LEGALLY to retrieve a wounded/dead animal. I don’t introduce myself to neighbors because this exact reason. Sure they may say, “i have deer on my property too come hunt it!”. But more than likely, they are either going to be hunters and see you as competition themselves or hate the idea of you close to their property, shooting, or trespassing…thats my .02

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Bowhunter…like I said earlier!

Quote:

timmy

Quote:

it all depends on what kind of animal you shot, how big, and the importance it is to you to recover that animal.

I disagree with this. ANY animal that you feel okay killing deserves the same respect. If you shoot a fawn or a pheasant you owe it to the animal to put 100% effort into the proper recovery. The fact that this was a true trophy buck might make it sting a little more, but deep down, ANY lost deer should cause that sting. IMplying that the trophy buck is more important to recover places the value in the wrong spot, IMHO.

Tim

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

BowHunter,
    I couldn’t agree more.

Deer Hunting brings out the best in people, it also brings out the worst in people. Unfortunately, I’ve seen both.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Quote:

Quote:

it all depends on what kind of animal you shot, how big, and the importance it is to you to recover that animal.

Tim

Ill rephrase that…it depends on how important recovering a hit animal is to the person doing the shooting

robby
    Quad Cities

Quote:

Welcome to In-Depth Outdoors Mike!!!

I agree with you 100% it would be nice to hear the land owners side of the story.

Amen! The landowner probably has had more than one bad experience with sloppy hunters. I do hope he is able to recover his animal though!

Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.