My buddy shot a monster…BUT

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Not only can he not legally go after the deer, the CO that they talked to is notorious for being no help to outdoorsman. I have talked with Russ enough times and if he has to get out of the office or out of his truck, his hands will suddenly be tied
    If you guys could find another CO that works the area, he may be able to talk some reasoning into the landowner. There are some good ones, just not the main boss

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

In MN, the landowner can’t technically press charges for tresspassing unless his land was posted properly. See laws. But anyways, If I was denied permission I would have immidiately got the CO on the horn and personally not lost sight of that deer. I would trail that deer, find it, and go about my business until an officer told me different. Cause once that officer got there and realized I was only retrieving lost game it shouldn’t be an issue.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

i have a quick question…since its legal to go onto other peoples property to retrieve game in the state of MN, why do people go and ask the land owner if they can go on their property to retrieve it?? I understand that some consider it the right thing to do, but when this happens in your case, thats when tempers fly and incidences happen….

I agree. I would just do it and be done.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I’m up to date now. If I was him, I’d get 5 guys, go and get the buck. If it is a dandy its worth the risk of a first time ticket for tresspassing. If they find it and have a bunch of guys, that’ll make for a quick pull. Gut it some where else.

waterswat
    WI

Wait till the combine starts, put on your running shoes and head into see what you can find. There is no way they will know someone is in there unless they actually see you go into the woods from their property. Otherwise wait till about 10 pm and grab a light and go. They won’t know the difference. Might seem wrong, but if there is a booner laying there, its a shame to let crows and coyotes eat it, which they prolly already have gotten to it, but grab and be gone. Just hope a big one doesn’t run onto the property you are hunting and they want to retrieve it is all I have to say. Eye for an eye.

mille-lacs-guy
    Chaska, MN

Quote:

You are quoting MN law this happened in WI, as was said before in WI if the land owner says no unfortunately you are SOL. I would not recommend trying to sneak in there, if you get caught it will go bad for you. My daughter took firearms safety class last year and the local CO talked to the class one night about this very subject. He told us if you run into this situation to call them and they will go in and retrieve your deer for you, again this is MN not WI. The best thing you boys from WI could do is to start writing your state representatives and let them know how you feel about this law and that it needs to be changed, get the media involved send them a link to this thread, contact your local sports writers and see if they would do a story on this. Slop you should contact you local news station and see if they would do a story on this to let everyone in the community know what a jerk this guy is.

I know I was quoting MN law and I also realize this was in Wisconsin. I’m just stating what the law is in Minnesota. My point was that this situation can happen anywhere and it seems you are better off just going in after your deer and hope nobody says anything.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

i say you send someone else in after the buck who hasn’t asked the landowner for permission to trail it. That way you are not the one involved and the worst that could happen to the “new trailer” would be that he has to leave, correct? just my 2 cents

Ding Ding Ding! That is what I would do! That what hunting PALS are for.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

In my opinion, I don’t care if it is a booner or a doe fawn. The shot was taken, and if it were me, I would do everything I could to recover that deer.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

I agree with AmWats, Russ Wilson is an azz ole!!!!!!!! He is a no good piece of crap. Any that sucks for that guy and sometimes a guy needs to do what a guy needs to do! Good luck.

Anonymous

well unfortunatly hindsight is 20/20 he shoulda just went in and got the deer right away. BUT at the same time if the landowner is a hunter, why would he want someone on his property during/ right before hunting season? can you blame the landowner? Ask yourself, if some guy shot a deer and it ran on to my land 4-5 days before my season opened, would I let him on my property? If the guy is just being a Richard well then that’s why they call him “Dick”, but he may have a valid reason for saying no. not that I’m defending this Richard, I’m just saying. sorry to hear about your lost deer. I saw this on Babe Winkleman one time tho….the landpwner said no to a tv crew and Babe, but then the guy found the rack and gave it to ol Babe after the landowner was done hunting.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

If the land owner is a hunter than he should know the importance of recovering a mortally wounded deer. I would not consider this land owner a sportsman of any kind! There is no excuse at all for not letting someone come to retrieve a deer…period!

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

where did this occur. Maybe the Alma based CO Jumbeck would be more help. he seems to be a resonable guy. Or you might call this Russ guys superior. I certainly wouldn’t give up without some more effort.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

well unfortunatly hindsight is 20/20 he shoulda just went in and got the deer right away. BUT at the same time if the landowner is a hunter, why would he want someone on his property during/ right before hunting season? can you blame the landowner? Ask yourself, if some guy shot a deer and it ran on to my land 4-5 days before my season opened, would I let him on my property? If the guy is just being a Richard well then that’s why they call him “Dick”, but he may have a valid reason for saying no. not that I’m defending this Richard, I’m just saying. sorry to hear about your lost deer. I saw this on Babe Winkleman one time tho….the landpwner said no to a tv crew and Babe, but then the guy found the rack and gave it to ol Babe after the landowner was done hunting.

What “season” is opening in 4 or 5 days?

Regardless, there is a wounded animal on his land, guy should let the guy on there to look for it. If he doesn’t trust him, why not just go with him? If the landowner is a hunter, how would he feel if the roles were reversed?

Man, I don’t get this kind fo thinking at all. Let the animal lay and rot because I don’t want you to disturb my hunting 4 days from now??

BTW, I know warden Jumbeck, and he is certainly a reasonable and fair guy.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

This happened up by St. Joes Ridge in LAX ….

Our gun season doesn’t start until the 22nd….

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Slop, get directions and I’ll help retrieve that deer! We could probably get a few guys here to distract the land owner for a while while we recover the deer!

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Send in the posse!!!!!!!!!

thewild001
    Iowa

He Should call DNR, problem solved,if he shot it on the right side of the fence…

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

I will volunteer to help distract, knock out, fight, or any other action that will allow mossboss and his buddy to retrieve that deer Ill even help drag that buck outta there!!! I wouldn’t care what a landowner, CO, Sheriff, SWAT, or any other authority would say about this, HE has an unwritten oath in deer hunting that you don’t give up on an animal unless you KNOW FOR SURE that the animal will make it!!! He KNOWS that buck is dead and he KNOWS it’s a dandy so WTF is he waiting for!?!? That just blows my mind

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

He Should call DNR, problem solved,if he shot it on the right side of the fence…

He already did that, it does not work that way in WI.

Slop do you know if the landowner is a hunter, some are assuming he is but I do not think we know for sure unless I missed it somewhere in this thread. I have run into this before where the land owner is not a hunter and will not let anyone on there land for any reason period end of story.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

The land owner is a hunter, If I can even call him that b/c a real hunter would do the right thing…

I’m trying to convice him to send in a “special task force”

I’ll keep everyone posted.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

he is a real insecure hunter if he won’t let someone do whats right. Time is a wasting too. I’d go while he is at work. Otherwise he’ll be waiting for them.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Slop,
    What a bummer for your buddy. If it were me, I would be sick about it. That being said, I don’t know that I would throw the land owner under the buss without knowing all the circumstances in play here.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a quality place to hunt anymore compared to those fortunate to hunt the famed Buffalo County. I am able to hunt 20 acres my dad owns. About 5 years ago, I had permission to hunt the ajoining property. A 3rd land owner left a nasty note on my wind shield telling me I was tresspassing and left his name and phone number. I called him and explained I had permission. He proceeded to be a Dick and told me not to come on his land. I said no problem, I wasn’t hunting his property.

A couple weeks ago, I was coming out of my dad’s property and see this car stopped out on the county road. I figure he must see a deer or something. Then I see a guy sneaking down the fence line and see some turkeys in my dad’s field. I drive out to the car and the guy comes out to the road. He is bummed that I ruined his stalk. I ask him what he’s doing. He says he is sneaking up on the turkeys and tells me his name. Sure enough, its the Dick from 5 years prior. I tell him he doesn’t have permission to hunt the property and its posted.

We have another neighbor that has a stand setup within 10 yards of the property line and he has cut a shooting lane through so he can shoot into my dad’s field.

As far as what this has to do with Slop’s buddies trophy, I’m sure there is alot of history between land owners in Buffalo County. The cost to hunt this property is astronomical. Maybe the Dick, POS landowner had past run ins with the owner of the land that Slops buddy was hunting?? As for bashing the CO for not intervening?? The law is pretty clear in Wisconsin, its up to the land owner to give them permission.

Here is the tresspassing law in Wisconsin.

Quote:

Trespassing: Landowners suspecting that individuals are trespassing on their property should contact their local Sheriff’s Department or other local law enforcement agency. Conservation Wardens do not have the authority to investigate trespassing complaints. Any person convicted of trespassing is subject to a penalty of
    up to $1,383. According to s. 943.13, of the Wisconsin Statutes, it is illegal to:
    • enter land of another without the express or implied consent of the owner or occupant of the land, or
    • enter or remain on land after having been notified by the owner or occupant not to enter or remain. A person has received notice from the owner or occupant if he or
    she has been notified personally, either orally or in writing, or if the land is posted.

Remember: Although hunters are required to make a reasonable effort to retrieve game they have killed or injured, hunters may not trespass to retrieve such game,
    even if the game was shot from outside the posted area. Ask first for permission.

As you can see, the suggestions of having someone else go on the land to look for it only works if the land isn’t posted (not likely).

Now, if I were in the land owners position and I had to decide whether to let him on my property to recover the deer, I would have to say it depends on what has happened in the past. If there hadn’t been any past history with the other land owner, I doubt this thread would have been started.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Without indulging too much here into everyone’s personal life – and whether any of you decide to believe me or not -I’ll gaurantee you that there has been NO disputes with my friend and this land owner. I might be a shady character to some of you , but my buddy is a stand up hunter. But you are absolutely right – he might have had problems w/others before and now is just a grouch to everyone…

This was the first time he has hunted this stand all year and only a hand full of times in years past…

What’s even more mind boggling to us all is that they’ve known each other for many years and my buddies’ sister is good friends with the neighbors wife?? That’s why we don’t understand it…

It is what it is I guess…..and all of you are right – Karma is a biotch and this guy will get his someday We’ll probably never know all the circumstances that have come into play here…

snowkid07
    Duluth,MN

Put some night vision goggles on and do a little search and rescue.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

BZZSAW:

This isn’t in Buffalo County.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

MossBoss,
    I’m not sure the county matters a whole lot (as long as Wis laws are in effect). If your hunting on prime property, you’ll be sure to have plenty of others very envious of that property. Trying to find prime property around the Hudson area is next to impossible these days.

Please don’t take my comments as questioning the character of Slop Bass’s buddy. I’m only trying to point out that many things could have happened previous to this situation that has caused this property owner to be a Richard. Its a real bummer for the guy that can’t retrieve his buck.

I’m also a firm believer in What goes around comes around.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

If it was me, i would have went and retrived the down animal, haul it to my property, gut it there and then bring it back home. If the guy asks if you went on his property at a later date so be it.

That is insane that WI CO’s dont do something, its wasting meat. What was the point of having a deer season and letting guys shoot a deer if you dont want to help them retrieve it to get it processed.

Anonymous

Quote:

Quote:
    ——————————————————————————–

——————————————————————————–

What “season” is opening in 4 or 5 days?

Regardless, there is a wounded animal on his land, guy should let the guy on there to look for it. If he doesn’t trust him, why not just go with him? If the landowner is a hunter, how would he feel if the roles were reversed?

Man, I don’t get this kind fo thinking at all. Let the animal lay and rot because I don’t want you to disturb my hunting 4 days from now??

BTW, I know warden Jumbeck, and he is certainly a reasonable and fair guy.

Season A open saturday in MN, I thought WI had a season opening too. Regardless, the landowner is a hunter, he doesn’t want his land disturbed, to him doesn’t matter what the “right” thing to do is. I woulda went in after it right away. Besides I’m sure once Slop’s budddy told the landowner he had a 160″ class deer dead on his property…the wheels started turning…that’s a free deer or at least a nice rack for the landowner.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Slop, if what you say is true about the farmer being a “hunter” (so called hunter that is), then I think it would be a waste of time to try getting that buck now. I’m sure he went in and retrieved it already if he knew it was a dandy buck!

ghalleland

Quote:

I will volunteer to help distract, knock out, fight, or any other action that will allow mossboss and his buddy to retrieve that deer Ill even help drag that buck outta there!!! I wouldn’t care what a landowner, CO, Sheriff, SWAT, or any other authority would say about this, HE has an unwritten oath in deer hunting that you don’t give up on an animal unless you KNOW FOR SURE that the animal will make it!!! He KNOWS that buck is dead and he KNOWS it’s a dandy so WTF is he waiting for!?!? That just blows my mind

He cant retrieve it because people act like this!!

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.