WI 8 point – Rare

• mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Well it was a memorable opening weekend in Wisconsin for our hunting party. My niece Danielle shot her first buck with a gun on Saturday morning and we all knew in out hunting party that she must have shot a nice one….because we could tell it in her voice over the radio! I was closest to her so I was the lucky one that got to track it for her. Needless to say I could’ve tracked this one blind folded as she put the hurt on him and he only went 70 yards! Nice shot Danner! Anyway, as I approached the downed buck, the first thing I notice is that it’s still in VELVET! Now I have to believe it’s very rare to have a buck this late in velvet but man what a trophy for her! Congrats Danny on your first gun buck!

col._klink
    St Paul

Now there is something you dont see everyday!

For sure thats gotta go on the WALL!!!

A quick tip about velvet be sure not to handle the rack to much. Your taxidermist will send the rack to be freeze dried to keep the velvet on the rack permanently

COOL BUCK

pahaarstad
    metro

nice buck. I have never seen one in velvet this late. very cool.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Congrats to Dartkoski’s Niece Danielle

A truly rare buck!

chico-diablo
    New Richmond, WI

Nice deer, congrats

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Gotta love the smile on her! It goes ear to ear! Way to go girl!

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

My brother shot a deer 10-15yrs back that was in velvet during the gun season. Upon further review it turned out that it had both male and female organs but neither were fully developed . They are rare.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

That is one heck of a nice deer Danner, CONGRATS

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Cool, sets the bar pretty high to beat in the future for the uniqueness factor!!

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Great buck!

JaredRathbun
    Becker, MN

Great buck.. He must have had a hormone problem and not shed the velvet like the other guys…

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

That smile says it all!!! Congrats

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Dartkoski, just so you are aware, I am about 95% sure she needs to get a permit from the DNR to have these horns in her possession. Seeings how deer are usually out of velvet when our season starts, you need the permit to prove it was obtained legally. Let me know what you find out. Congrats to her, sweet looking buck

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

just out of curiosity, did the deer have a milk sack or a sack I know that a lot of people that shoot bucks this late in the season are does that have the genetic abnormality or whatever causes them to grow racks What did you find or cut off

john_r
    LaCrosse Wi

muskyman, you are right. dnr has to tag a deer with velvet. I believe it is within 7 days of harvest. Sounds like it is just a formality. they also have to tag a deer if it is still spotted.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Congrats Danielle!!!!

jorgy
    rochester

I believe but am not sure that some state down south one of there record non typicals is a doe. They say the antlers never fall off and keep growing. It is genetics because we used to hunt around milleville minnesota and it seemed every year or every other someone would shot a deer assumed it was a buck and realized nope not a buck. None of are were never in velvet though nice buck congrats.

Vickie
    MN

Beautiful Deer! Congatulations to Danielle.

Vickie

Chunk
    New Hampton, Iowa

Nice buck, Way to go!

coppertop
    Central MN

Congrats Danielle! That will make a great mount. I’ve seen also a buck with injured testes that did not shed his velvet.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Nice Buck Danielle,
    Congrats
    Jack..

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Dartkoski, just so you are aware, I am about 95% sure she needs to get a permit from the DNR to have these horns in her possession. Seeings how deer are usually out of velvet when our season starts, you need the permit to prove it was obtained legally. Let me know what you find out. Congrats to her, sweet looking buck

Thanks Muskyman, you are correct. My brother looked that up on the website and he has 7 days from the date of kill to notify them.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats Danielle on a great buck! Thanks Dartman for sharing.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.