What to think of this?

• Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

Agreed…..I’m not upset with anybody that has posted here…..I hope others are not upset with me. We need to harvest more doe……I’d love to have 2 buck to 1 doe population. I enjoy seeing 20-25 doe every time out…….but I would really enjoy seeing fewer deer maybe 3-doe and 6 bucks…….that I feel would be more exciting. I’ll continue to shoot my doe and let the little guys walk and take pictures…..and maybe if I get really lucky……I’ll have that dream buck walk in…… If not I’ll try it again the next day…….Happy Hunting this weekend boys I can’t wait.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

buck….play nice or I will take all your chips next weekend. .

broncosguy

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Buck – if none of the game is going to waste – does it really matter why you do it?

If it goes to waste – then i’ll jump to your side right now….I don’t agree with shooting and wasting, but even if you don’t like the taste of duck(or whatever game), but the food still gets to somebody who does – this is where I don’t see the problem……

Good conversation though.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

There are trophies you hang on the wall, and there are trophies you hang in your heart.

I would love to shoot a wall mounter someday, but unless that wall mounter walks down the trail before a smaller buck or doe, it’s not going to happen. It’s just not that big of a deal to me. Some may ask why I would shoot a small buck versus a doe, and my answer would be because I have a tag and it was standing right in front of me. If that small buck was hanging with a doe and I had two tags, I’d try and get them both. The true trophies are the ones I can hang in my smoker. That’s the way I grew up.

Let me pose this question. If you knew a person that was a vegetarian by choice and they hunted, would you have a problem with that?

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

If it isn’t “I like to kill” what is it??

That is all I am asking…if you don’t want the meat whatever kind for yourself why are YOU killing it?

For every duck you kill just for fun it is one less that a hunter who enjoys eating them will see.

I already gave my views on the self righteous excuse of donating deer to charity above. Groceries are cheaper if your concern is hungry people go to Cub not to the deer stand…you’ll feed more people.

It’s that the killing is part of the hunt, but not the entire reason for it, or even the major reason for it, but it IS a part of it. If you don’t understand it, I can’t make you.

Yeah, all 20 or whatever ducks of the 40 or whatever ducks I shoot that I give away are really taking away from the enjoyment of other hunters. Seriously dude, step away from the keyboard slowly. There were an estimated 32,000 + ducks on Pool 7 last week. I think the 2 I shot and gave to my buddy probably didn’t effect SQUAT on anyone elses hunt, or any birdwatchers binonculars for that matter.

So a hunter who enjoys eating ducks himself has more legal and ethical rights than a guy who’s neighbor likes eating ducks but can’t hunt? What if my wife LOVED duck, but I didn’t? Would that be OK because we are family? In your world it sure shouldn’t be, if you are consistent in your ethics of you eat what you shoot. In fact, maybe they shouldn’t even be allowed to share in it. How far do you take your “you eat what you shoot ethic? Do I have to cook it myself too? Can I just breast the bird, or do I need to pluck it and eat the whole bird, and use the feathers for pillows and coats and the skin for gloves?

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Well actually YES…the 20-40 ducks you shot are taking away from someone else’s enjoyment..this year, next year and the year after. Those birds are dead and are not going to reproduce….just so you could pull a trigger. Go shoot clays if knocking down stuff is that important to you.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Hey Broncs….I am playin nice and I am not the one you have to worry about with chips next weekend….it is Heidi.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

ok. well Tiff and her are probably going to be the last 2 at the table.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

So Moss should forget about the excitement he gets from actually working a bird in and shoot clays?

You didn’t answer my question from above – If what he or anyone is doing is legal and none of the game is going to waste – Where is the problem?

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

Well actually YES…the 20-40 ducks you shot are taking away from someone else’s enjoyment..this year, next year and the year after. Those birds are dead and are not going to reproduce….just so you could pull a trigger. Go shoot clays if knocking down stuff is that important to you.

What about the 20 I ate? Those were OK but the 20 someone else ate were not. OK, got it, great logic there. Each 20 will both reproduce the same amount, zero. I don’t see the difference except in your personal opinion, which you seem to think everyone else should share. For someone who doesn’t know me for [censored] except for this post, you sure like to paint me as a “shoot everything that walks and leave it lay guy”. It may have just been some conversation before, but I’ll tell you is sure starting to sound a bit personal to me now.

I see you didn’t answer my last parargraph before, slippery slope to start legislating morality, huh?

If you don’t want me to hunt anymore, join PETA and the antis and get hunting outlawed. That sure sounds like what you want, I mean every animal killed will never reproduce, and maximum animal populations seem like teh goal. I don’t do anything illegal, or unethical to the majority of the hunting population. Or maybe you already have, what’s your PETA membership # anyway?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

…no one has given a single valid reason for killing stuff you don’t want for yourself.

How ’bout this one. It puts food on my family member’s plates. The same family members who don’t have the opportunity to hunt. Physical limitations will do that sometimes. I know one thing for sure, the family who has the Deer is a LOT happier than most who’ve shot a Deer and kept it for themselves.

I bought food for a food pantry one time. I’m sure the people behind me were disappointed when I took away their chance to buy the cans I had in my cart. I’ll bet they were peeved beyond compare when I put those cans in a pantry for someone else to enjoy……yeah, that was rich with sarcasm. Kinda silly how it compares though…

I’ll bet each and every person who’s post something in this forum has caught fish and given them to someone. How’s that different?

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

So Moss should forget about the excitement he gets from actually working a bird in and shoot clays?

You didn’t answer my question from above – If what he or anyone is doing is legal and none of the game is going to waste – Where is the problem?

Forget it Jer. If I don’t personally want to eat every bird I shoot (you too by the way), I should be duck hunting with a camera instead of a gun, regardless if someone else actually eats it and enjoys it.

I would say I usually eat 2 mallards at a meal. Which means if you and I go together, and we each shoot one, one of us can’t give our bird to the other guy to make a meal, we both have to take ours and eat it personally.

Fishbone4
    Norwood, Minnesota

Quote:

Or maybe you already have, what’s your PETA membership # anyway?

Completely uncalled for.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Or maybe you already have, what’s your PETA membership # anyway?

Completely uncalled for.

Thanks for your opinion. Probably true, and probably shouldn’t have said it.

I happen to think the comment that I hunt “just so I can pull the trigger” was uncalled for hyperbole too.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Moss – you’re a trouble maker

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Apparently so.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Geez…..we can’t take you anywhere can we…

Da Moose is loose!!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

anyone wanna go duck hunting after work?

jk…just trying to lighten things up in here….

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

Only if you’ll find a good home for my ducks??? j/k

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Only if you’ll find a good home for my ducks??? j/k

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

Geez…..we can’t take you anywhere can we…

Da Moose is loose!!

Damn right Tom, don’t want to be seen with the likes of a murderous cur like me!!

Fishbone4
    Norwood, Minnesota

While rather extreme, that comment was more a reflection of his opinion of your hunting strategy (exaggerated for the sake of his argument) than a deliberate personal attack.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

While rather extreme, that comment was more a reflection of his opinion of your hunting strategy (exaggerated for the sake of his argument) than a deliberate personal attack.

That’s my point. It was an exaggeration of something he actually knows nothing about (why or how I hunt). And since when is exaggeration a good arguing technique?

Either you or Buckshot, please define my “hunting strategy”?

scottsteil
    Central MN

Seems this has gone well beyond the point already. It was an interesting read at first and it apprears no one is convincing anyone anything. The personal attacks aren’t doing anyone any good. Maybe time to agree to disagree and move on.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

Scott,

your spoiling my reading at work today . j/k.

yep I see both sides on this. as I am one who hunts but can not always get out.

broncs

Fishbone4
    Norwood, Minnesota

I don’t have an opinion of your specific hunting strategy, nor would I share it if I did, just to argue.

I did have an opinion of your arguing strategy though, and that I did state. Deliberate personal attacks are uncalled for, unfair, and I believe even against the rules.

Carry on…..

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

It isn’t legality…it is sportsmanship and a pure love and respect for nature.

Apparently that got lost somewhere a long time ago. Now a days the masses measure their hunting and fishing succes by the number of points the size of a fish or the # of birds they can shoot.

I can go shoot squirrels…I love to hunt….but I don’t because I don’t want them. If I want to give meat away it is cheaper, easeir and probably tastier to stop at the butcher shop and buy someone a t-bone.

Should moss stop going out….no…if he wants to eat a duck or 2 have at it…go shoot a couple…if he isn’t hungry for duck why not use a camera. Why is that such a crazy idea to everyone.

I was out last Saturday duck/goose hunting I got a 2 birds but I also sat and watched mallards and geese working my dekes in field for almost an hour…it was incredible!!!! Oh yeah…never fired a shot…I didn’t care…I won, they came in. The one was a flock of 200+ mallards that swung through in range numerous times. That is a memory that is going to hang in my head and heart forever….I didn’t need to kill one to make it real.

I also got some great pics of flocks of geese passing well within gun range. I don’t need to measure myself by the number of birds I bag and it is sad that so many people do.

We are never going to see eye to eye on this so you do what you want and I will do what I want….within the bounds of the law.

Moss…I sincerely apologize for anything offensive I may have said….we can all argue this till you know what freezes over…none of us are going to change the way we do things.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Ok we are getting way off topic here let’s try and keep this about deer hunting, we are in the deer forum right?

Quote:

Why do you need to kill it….if you don’t want it. Please help me understand your justification.

As deer hunters we all have different reasons why we deer hunt and that’s ok.

Some deer hunt only for the meat if it is brown it is down, fawn, doe, small, buck, big buck, it does not matter to them.

Some deer hunters will only shoot what they can eat themselves and not take extra deer to just give them away.

Some deer hunters will shoot one deer to keep for themselves and fill out the rest of there tags and give the rest away.

Some deer hunters hunt for the thrill and excitement of the hunt & the kill only and do not like or want to eat venison and give the deer away.

Whether we agree or disagree with all the reasons above of why we deer hunt all of them are legal, like it or not it is that persons right to hunt the way he chooses as long he obeys the laws.

Buckshot here is where I will attempt to answer your question, “Why do you need to kill it….if you don’t want it.”

You may not agree with me but that’s ok, what a boring place this would be if we all agreed on every thing.

My answer will only apply to whitetail deer when it comes to most any other game I do agree with you that you should only take what you can eat, my only exception to that would be a species that is over populated like the snow geese.

Why do I deer hunt………..

I am obsessed with big whitetail bucks I admit that and there is nothing wrong with that either, however I get just as big of a rush from killing a doe as I do a big buck. I just plain love whitetail hunting, and I choose to practice selective harvest, I will only kill mature does and mature bucks, I will not kill fawns, nubbin bucks or young bucks. I will take pics of deer that I pass up but for me having a pic of a trophy buck is just not the same as harvesting him and putting him on the wall. Putting meant on the table is the last reason for me why I deer hunt, in fact I have to admit that like Mark I have got to the point where most of the venison I do not care for anymore. The buck that I took this year I had cut up to try my hand at making jerky and the rest the trim I am going to have made into burger, I take my trim to a place that mixes it with bacon bits and let me tell you that is some of the best burger I have ever had, even my wife likes it and she does not like venison at all. GMAN was the one who turned me on to the place that makes it, if anyone would like to know where shoot me a PM. One of these years I am going to try my hand at making my own burger as well but I will first need to invest in a grinder. I would also like to get a smoker someday as well. So seeing as I do not care for most venison anymore but I do enjoy the hunt and the kill and putting a trophy buck on the wall does that make me a bad guy? I also will not pretend to use the excuse that I deer hunt to feed the hungry but seeing as there is an over population of deer and I love to deer hunt (did I mention that I love the thrill and excitement of the hunt & the kill more than the meat?) and there are places and people out there who can not hunt or do not want to hunt but still could use the meat, then what is wrong with that? I see it as a win win situation, I get to do something that I love to do and others can benefit from it by me giving the meat away and at the same time I am doing my part to help balance the heard, what could be better? IMO it just does not get any better than that! So to try and sum this up the reasons that I deer hunt in order of importance to me are………..

1.Yes the thrill and excitement of the hunt & the kill are the number one reason I hunt whitetail deer. Guilty as charged.

2.To put a trophy whitetail buck on the wall. Guilty as charged.

3.To practice selective harvest which will help balance the heard which will hopefully help more hunters and myself to see and harvest more trophy bucks. Guilty as charged.

4.To put some meat on the table for families that can not hunt or do not want to hunt but have a greater need for the venison that I do, the benefit for me is I get to do something I love to do.

5.The last and least important reason for me, to put some venison on the table for myself and my family.

The bottom line is Buckshot that you and I will never agree on why we should hunt whitetail deer and that’s ok, at the end of the day I still respect the reasons why you hunt, and I hope that you can respect mine as well.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

It isn’t legality…it is sportsmanship and a pure love and respect for nature.

Apparently that got lost somewhere a long time ago. Now a days the masses measure their hunting and fishing succes by the number of points the size of a fish or the # of birds they can shoot.

I can go shoot squirrels…I love to hunt….but I don’t because I don’t want them. If I want to give meat away it is cheaper, easeir and probably tastier to stop at the butcher shop and buy someone a t-bone.

Should moss stop going out….no…if he wants to eat a duck or 2 have at it…go shoot a couple…if he isn’t hungry for duck why not use a camera. Why is that such a crazy idea to everyone.

I was out last Saturday duck/goose hunting I got a 2 birds but I also sat and watched mallards and geese working my dekes in field for almost an hour…it was incredible!!!! Oh yeah…never fired a shot…I didn’t care…I won, they came in. The one was a flock of 200+ mallards that swung through in range numerous times. That is a memory that is going to hang in my head and heart forever….I didn’t need to kill one to make it real.

I also got some great pics of flocks of geese passing well within gun range. I don’t need to measure myself by the number of birds I bag and it is sad that so many people do.

We are never going to see eye to eye on this so you do what you want and I will do what I want….within the bounds of the law.

Moss…I sincerely apologize for anything offensive I may have said….we can all argue this till you know what freezes over…none of us are going to change the way we do things.

My problem usually comes even in the post above, when I read it, I read it as you saying, “if you don’t shoot only what you personally can eat, then you are the type that can only measure success by numbers killed”. Whether or not that is your intention, that is how I read it, and why I take offense to it.

To me, part of the duck hunt (the final part, but only a small part), is the part that tests the wingshooting skill by hitting the quarry, the skills of the dog on the retrieve, and I don’t know, but there is some sense of accomplishment in the feel of a bird in the hand. (Every once in a while I feel like I get up to go hunting just becasue that damn dog loves it more than anything else in life. ) That is the final last piece of the entire hunting picture, for me. As long as the animal goes to good use, I don’t see what is wrong with it. Throwing the duck in the weeds or the trash wouldn’t be respecting nature, 100% agree, but giving it to someone to eat IS respecting nature IMO. I think that is the crux of the whole argument, and I guess where we will agree to diagree.

As far as just handing my neighbor a steak, fact of the matter is I am much more proud to give the guy some duck I dragged my [censored] out of bed at 3:30, hiked two miles in the dark to set up decoys, judging the wind and shape of the spread carefully, setting a spread, calling, shooting, and retreving, and then cleaning; than a steak I drove 1 minute to get and grabbed off a rack. I worked hard to get the duck, anybody can go buy a steak. It’s not a bit about money.

Well, that’s my piece and I’ll let it die at that. Sorry for the PETA comment, was out of line.

PS, sorry Steve, forgot this is the deer forum and no the general hunting forum.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Sorry moss….I absolutely WASN’T directing it at you.
    It is what society has come to and it isn’t just hunting that is just what we were talking about.

General respect for others, others property, nature you name it has gone so far down hill it is nuts.

I am not saying anyone here falls into that either.

Hey…we don’t see eye to eye…that is what makes this country great….we can and we can provide entertaining reading for everyone.

Lets all have a beer.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.