My buddies first bow deer

• toddcarnes
    Milan IL

Spent the last 4 days Trying to help a old friend connect with a deer, this is his first year bowhunting and things have been a little frustrating for him going at it on his own, so since i started vacation this week i ask him if he would like to spend a little time hunting together. We started off sat afternoon pretty good, I saw 3 deer one of which came about 5 yards from the tree, a small 8 pointer. that was the only deer that i could of shot at,But dan got to see about 10 deer and had his first shot at a deer with a bow, unfortantly buck fever got the best of him and he missed . Sunday we didnt have any shots, monday we saw alot of deer, but only one very small buck. This morning it was like somebody flipped the switch the bucks were running all over the woods grunting and chasing does, i saw 7 different bucks and had 2 different shot opporpunitys but neither one was the size i was after so i passed agin, Which ended up working out great because one of them made his way over to dan giving him a 12 yard quartering away shot. He made a awsome shot on the buck and we found it 50 yards from the tree. It was so cool to get to be a part of his first bow kill deer.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Tell him congrats!!

I just shot my first deer ever yesterday with my bow.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Todd – Tell your buddy congratulations! The first bow kill is always a special one. And Kudos to you for helping him out!

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Tell him congrats ..Sounds like hes got a great friend there

tomliver
    Almost North of 8

That’s a nice deer. Wish I had that luck. My first bow kill was a doe, my buddy shot a doe at the same time. We decided to track and gut his first. We went to get mine after only to find that the coyotes had torn mine up while we tended to his deer. I only came home with the tail

DanKnittle

Wow, what a great article. Todd told me to read this as this post was about me. Yes he is a great friend and it was an honor to have him help as he did. I have been shotgun hunting for around 15 years but only picked up a bow this year. Tried a couple of times last year but not seriously.

The biggest thing I have learned so far is I have a lot to learn. Todd and I haven’t really seen each other for almost 20 years. He found out through a mutual friend I was struggling and called me offering help. Everyone should have such friends…Thanks Todd
    Dan

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

It’s nice to know that there is still guys out there willing to help each other…..watch out Dan, bowhunting is an addiction ….and it only takes one “hit” to be hooked!

And welcome to the site!!!

(it’s also addicting)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.