Hornady SST or new Winchesters?

• troymay
    Winona, MN

Has anyone tried the new Winchester (with ballistic tip) or Hornady sst slugs? I’ve been sighting in for gun season and curious if they are worth trying. I shoot Federal Barnes expanderes now through a remington 870 rifled barrel, they seem to float a little at 100 yards although tight at 50. What is your favorite?

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I have not tried the rounds you are asking about.
    I’ve been very happy the the Barnes Expanders in my Mossberg boltaction.
    Jack.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I have not tried the rounds you are asking about.
    I’ve been very happy the the Barnes Expanders in my Mossberg boltaction.
    Jack.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

Buy a box of each. Every slug is different in each gun. Find the right slug that groups best in your gun. Dont sight your gun in with the new slug, just see how they group. If they group better switch. I tried hornady and didnt like them Winchesters shot the best. But I hear alot of people shooting hornady.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

Buy a box of each. Every slug is different in each gun. Find the right slug that groups best in your gun. Dont sight your gun in with the new slug, just see how they group. If they group better switch. I tried hornady and didnt like them Winchesters shot the best. But I hear alot of people shooting hornady.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Winchester Partition Golds! 5 shot in the bottom of a pop can at 100! Remington 1187, rifled barrel and scope.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Winchester Partition Golds! 5 shot in the bottom of a pop can at 100! Remington 1187, rifled barrel and scope.

troymay
    Winona, MN

Thanks for your input guys. I was out shooting again yesterday, and have found that the federal premium sabots were shooting much better than the federal barnes expander. My guess is that the barnes expander floats around alot more because of the gigantic hollow point. Now if they would just put a ballistic tip over that hollow point, they would have better accuracy with their huge knockdown power.

troymay
    Winona, MN

Thanks for your input guys. I was out shooting again yesterday, and have found that the federal premium sabots were shooting much better than the federal barnes expander. My guess is that the barnes expander floats around alot more because of the gigantic hollow point. Now if they would just put a ballistic tip over that hollow point, they would have better accuracy with their huge knockdown power.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

I have shot the Federal for years and still shoot them. The Winchester Partition Gold’s shoot even better!

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

I have shot the Federal for years and still shoot them. The Winchester Partition Gold’s shoot even better!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

Ask and you shall receive. About 1/2 way down the page.

http://www.federalpremium.com/default.asp?pg=46

The Federals with the hollowpoints were always extremely accurate in my 870 with a Hastings barrel. By far the best combo I had used with that gun.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

Ask and you shall receive. About 1/2 way down the page.

http://www.federalpremium.com/default.asp?pg=46

The Federals with the hollowpoints were always extremely accurate in my 870 with a Hastings barrel. By far the best combo I had used with that gun.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.