iowa bow hunting

• bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

I guessing i’m 100% S-O-L on this but maybe someone could help me for a small fee?
    I got permission to hunt 80 acres near Altoona but would need an out-state liscense. From what I’ve been told there is no way to get a liscense now. Is this true? Is there other options that I might not know about?

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

You were told correct- the lottery has already taken place for drawing a tag to hunt here. I am unaware of any other way.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

You were told correct- the lottery has already taken place for drawing a tag to hunt here. I am unaware of any other way.

rangerski
    North Metro

Luke, is an archery tag over the counter for a non res??

rangerski
    North Metro

Luke, is an archery tag over the counter for a non res??

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Its a lottery for archery also, I think you have to put in by the end of march.Not sure on the deadline so dont qoute me.All non-res deer hunting is a drawing.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Its a lottery for archery also, I think you have to put in by the end of march.Not sure on the deadline so dont qoute me.All non-res deer hunting is a drawing.

prieser
    Byron, MN

And if I am not mistaken it is around $425.00. And in most cases it takes around 3 years to get drawn unless your lucky. You need to gain preferance points. Hate to say it but, good luck next year.

prieser
    Byron, MN

And if I am not mistaken it is around $425.00. And in most cases it takes around 3 years to get drawn unless your lucky. You need to gain preferance points. Hate to say it but, good luck next year.

rms
    Fridley

Application period for deer hunting is usually first week of May thru the first week of June. I think your only option at this point would be a holiday doe tag if they are available. Go to the Iowa DNR web site and you should be able to see what it will take to hunt there. It isn’t cheap.

rms
    Fridley

Application period for deer hunting is usually first week of May thru the first week of June. I think your only option at this point would be a holiday doe tag if they are available. Go to the Iowa DNR web site and you should be able to see what it will take to hunt there. It isn’t cheap.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

The DNR is the best bet, they explain everything. A guy here on the site tried to come down and hunt with me this year and filed. He and his friend didn’t get drawn but has special preferance points for next year, I hope they draw then so they can see whats going on down here. Hey Luke did you see the two 18 year old girls that were sisters in the paper that shot bucks the first day of blackpowder, both were wider then the ears and scored around 160 up. I didn’ see the article but my son told me about it. They were both twins, one hunted sountern Iowa the other N.E. Iowa, anybody else see that article too.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

The DNR is the best bet, they explain everything. A guy here on the site tried to come down and hunt with me this year and filed. He and his friend didn’t get drawn but has special preferance points for next year, I hope they draw then so they can see whats going on down here. Hey Luke did you see the two 18 year old girls that were sisters in the paper that shot bucks the first day of blackpowder, both were wider then the ears and scored around 160 up. I didn’ see the article but my son told me about it. They were both twins, one hunted sountern Iowa the other N.E. Iowa, anybody else see that article too.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I also heard that even if you do not apply that you can send in $10 each year to build up your preferance points, not sure on that though maybe someone else hear can shed some light on that.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I also heard that even if you do not apply that you can send in $10 each year to build up your preferance points, not sure on that though maybe someone else hear can shed some light on that.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Guys I am not sure on all the regs for non residents- I have never had this problem, and never will…
    All I know is, I am pretty positive it is too late for a non-res to get a buck tag. The best place for the answers is http://www.iowadnr.com

mossydan- I did see that article or possibly a different one- The one I saw had bucks shot by women thats scored well above the 160″ class. However they were both wives, or somehow related to the families of the drury brothers.

I had a chance a year ago to buy a parcel of land that is right next to where the drury brothers hunt- the only thing that separated the two parcels was a fence line. However, it was land-locked, and somethings happened that I didn’t anticipate so I didn’t buy it. HOWEVER, I wish I would have!!! I might make a phone call tonight and see if it is still for sale…

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Guys I am not sure on all the regs for non residents- I have never had this problem, and never will…
    All I know is, I am pretty positive it is too late for a non-res to get a buck tag. The best place for the answers is http://www.iowadnr.com

mossydan- I did see that article or possibly a different one- The one I saw had bucks shot by women thats scored well above the 160″ class. However they were both wives, or somehow related to the families of the drury brothers.

I had a chance a year ago to buy a parcel of land that is right next to where the drury brothers hunt- the only thing that separated the two parcels was a fence line. However, it was land-locked, and somethings happened that I didn’t anticipate so I didn’t buy it. HOWEVER, I wish I would have!!! I might make a phone call tonight and see if it is still for sale…

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve never heard that Steve but that dosen’t mean it isn’t true. I talked to Dan again this afternoon and he said they were atleast 160’s, he didn’t know forsure, I pulled that number out of the blue and he said yes. Maybe thier not the same articles then, maybe they are though. He did say these gals were both twins and it was in saturdays paper here, probably the same article. Its too late and go too the site Luke put up and keep trying bucky12pt, once you get a liscense I’ve heard you can every year after that. It will be worth it, if you need any advice or directions on things down here message me and i’ll try to help.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve never heard that Steve but that dosen’t mean it isn’t true. I talked to Dan again this afternoon and he said they were atleast 160’s, he didn’t know forsure, I pulled that number out of the blue and he said yes. Maybe thier not the same articles then, maybe they are though. He did say these gals were both twins and it was in saturdays paper here, probably the same article. Its too late and go too the site Luke put up and keep trying bucky12pt, once you get a liscense I’ve heard you can every year after that. It will be worth it, if you need any advice or directions on things down here message me and i’ll try to help.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Bucky12pt I just pulled up Altoona and thats a good area. I know for a fact they have taken some nice deer in that immediate area even though Des Moines is close by. If your friends have land near the Des Moines river that should make it even better but don’t let it shake you up if it isn’t because anywhere around there within 50 miles is good.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Bucky12pt I just pulled up Altoona and thats a good area. I know for a fact they have taken some nice deer in that immediate area even though Des Moines is close by. If your friends have land near the Des Moines river that should make it even better but don’t let it shake you up if it isn’t because anywhere around there within 50 miles is good.

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

thanks guys!

I have done all I can this year and will have to wait…. pretty silly if you ask me but that’s probably why they have so many 150″+ deer eh?

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

thanks guys!

I have done all I can this year and will have to wait…. pretty silly if you ask me but that’s probably why they have so many 150″+ deer eh?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.