DEER HUNTING IS SLOWWWW.

• harlandd

Is there really such a thing as the october lull. I read this in one of clancys articles in the outdoor news. is there any truth to this or is it just a mind

thegun
    mn

I would have to say 100% true!

I know the bucks are running at night right now! but your not seeing too many good bucks out during daylight hours!

I keep a deer hunting journal and from my experience i am predicting this Wednesday,Thursday, and Friday will be a great time to smack a real good buck! after that they will go nocturnal again for a week or so before the rut kicks off!

now im no expert but this pattern has repeated itself for me year after year!

if any of you read this and go hunting this week threw the weekend let me know if this hold true for you!

Good luck!

thegun
    mn

I would have to say 100% true!

I know the bucks are running at night right now! but your not seeing too many good bucks out during daylight hours!

I keep a deer hunting journal and from my experience i am predicting this Wednesday,Thursday, and Friday will be a great time to smack a real good buck! after that they will go nocturnal again for a week or so before the rut kicks off!

now im no expert but this pattern has repeated itself for me year after year!

if any of you read this and go hunting this week threw the weekend let me know if this hold true for you!

Good luck!

coppertop
    Central MN

Huckster, I also believe that is true but for some reason this year is different. Alot of small buck activity during legal hours. Guess a guy will never figure them out?

coppertop
    Central MN

Huckster, I also believe that is true but for some reason this year is different. Alot of small buck activity during legal hours. Guess a guy will never figure them out?

shayla

Sure is in my woods! When it was super hot I was seeing all kinds of deer. Now that the temps have dipped I have only seen a couple does….go figure. It will get good here in about another week to 10 days, then again late December.

shayla

Sure is in my woods! When it was super hot I was seeing all kinds of deer. Now that the temps have dipped I have only seen a couple does….go figure. It will get good here in about another week to 10 days, then again late December.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

i believe it i come home on the weekends from school to hunt and it sucks when i haven’t seen that many deer, just like last weekend where i saw just 4. I still HAVE to get out though cuz i would die if i couldn’t hunt

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

i believe it i come home on the weekends from school to hunt and it sucks when i haven’t seen that many deer, just like last weekend where i saw just 4. I still HAVE to get out though cuz i would die if i couldn’t hunt

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

It does that off and on all the way through hunting season here, You’ll hit good days then everything just stops moving even when theres no pressure. I’ve got some ideas but still haven’t figured it out. Everything from they all have full stomachs that are settling too atmospheric pressure. They act alot like cows in a field, alot of farmers who hunt watch thier cows to tell them whats going on with the deer.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

It does that off and on all the way through hunting season here, You’ll hit good days then everything just stops moving even when theres no pressure. I’ve got some ideas but still haven’t figured it out. Everything from they all have full stomachs that are settling too atmospheric pressure. They act alot like cows in a field, alot of farmers who hunt watch thier cows to tell them whats going on with the deer.

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

I have seen the October lul year after year too and my belief is that it has more to do with their food source…..CORN. I think alot more deer are bedding in cornfields, getting up to eat the corn and then venturing out into the open well after dark. Once I start seeing the corn removed is when my deer sightings increase.

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

I have seen the October lul year after year too and my belief is that it has more to do with their food source…..CORN. I think alot more deer are bedding in cornfields, getting up to eat the corn and then venturing out into the open well after dark. Once I start seeing the corn removed is when my deer sightings increase.

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

I think that the falling of leaves in the woods effects deer movement also. With the leaves off the trees it’s a new look to the deer’s life. It would be like someone took the roof off your house….things have changed. Of course this theory isn’t that effective on more overcast days as it would be on sunny days. I think after a few days to a week they begin to adapt to the changes and go back to a regular routine.

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

I think that the falling of leaves in the woods effects deer movement also. With the leaves off the trees it’s a new look to the deer’s life. It would be like someone took the roof off your house….things have changed. Of course this theory isn’t that effective on more overcast days as it would be on sunny days. I think after a few days to a week they begin to adapt to the changes and go back to a regular routine.

bigshoots30
    Sartell, MN

Who cares if it is slow, would you rather be working?? A bad day in the tree is better than a great day at work!

bigshoots30
    Sartell, MN

Who cares if it is slow, would you rather be working?? A bad day in the tree is better than a great day at work!

paul follmer
    any where there biting

I used to say the same thing about October. I do believe some patterns do change I made adjustments to those changes. I hunt closer to the food source, As I have seen over the years they seem to pack on the weight this time of year for the rut like Walleyes for the winter. So the deer hang close to their food source. And they find new bedding areas as well. But closer to the food source to save energy. I tested my theory this past weekend and connected with a nice big Doe in Mille Lacs county.I hunted close to field edges with heavy cover and practiced scent control and played the wind.
    put the hammer down on a fat doe

An hour before sun down
    So far so good

Hunt safe and shoot straight

paul follmer
    any where there biting

I used to say the same thing about October. I do believe some patterns do change I made adjustments to those changes. I hunt closer to the food source, As I have seen over the years they seem to pack on the weight this time of year for the rut like Walleyes for the winter. So the deer hang close to their food source. And they find new bedding areas as well. But closer to the food source to save energy. I tested my theory this past weekend and connected with a nice big Doe in Mille Lacs county.I hunted close to field edges with heavy cover and practiced scent control and played the wind.
    put the hammer down on a fat doe

An hour before sun down
    So far so good

Hunt safe and shoot straight

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.