Bow sight

• b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

I am thinking about a new sight for next year..

I want a sight that holds more light. My 20yrd pin is nice but the rest are dark inless Im in direct sun, morning and dusk my 40 yrd is a real pain..

What are some sights you guys are happy with?

Thanks

timmy

A “tritium” pin is the answer. I bought one from cabela’s a few years ago and it is amazing. If a guy was to really push the window and shoot ’til the last minute of legal time on an overcast eve – the pin is still glowing brightly. Amazing.

Tim

timmy

A “tritium” pin is the answer. I bought one from cabela’s a few years ago and it is amazing. If a guy was to really push the window and shoot ’til the last minute of legal time on an overcast eve – the pin is still glowing brightly. Amazing.

Tim

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

In my opinion spott hogg makes the best sight on the market- however I am also a fan of g5, and trophy ridge. What are you looking for, 1,3,5 pin? And how much do you want to spend?

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

In my opinion spott hogg makes the best sight on the market- however I am also a fan of g5, and trophy ridge. What are you looking for, 1,3,5 pin? And how much do you want to spend?

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

i have a trophy ridge matrix 3 pin w/ a light attached that can be turned on. I use this light early in the morning and 10 minutes before shooting times over and the pins are BRIGHT When you are talking about your 40 yard pin being dull, is this pin red? Red pins are significantly duller than green pins and yellow pins!!!

I would go w/ trophy ridge, toxonics, or extreme archery products. If you can, switch you fiber obtic pins to GREEN. but if you go w/ any of these companies, the pins will be bright enough

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

i have a trophy ridge matrix 3 pin w/ a light attached that can be turned on. I use this light early in the morning and 10 minutes before shooting times over and the pins are BRIGHT When you are talking about your 40 yard pin being dull, is this pin red? Red pins are significantly duller than green pins and yellow pins!!!

I would go w/ trophy ridge, toxonics, or extreme archery products. If you can, switch you fiber obtic pins to GREEN. but if you go w/ any of these companies, the pins will be bright enough

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I agree 100% with red pin issue. To me the red pin us dull and puts off a halo that makes it blurry. All of the guys have listed good choices so far. You may want to look at the HHA line of sites as well!! Good luck with your choice!!

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I agree 100% with red pin issue. To me the red pin us dull and puts off a halo that makes it blurry. All of the guys have listed good choices so far. You may want to look at the HHA line of sites as well!! Good luck with your choice!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Check out Vital Bow Gear too. I have good light on my green and yellow pin, way after legal shooting hours.

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Check out Vital Bow Gear too. I have good light on my green and yellow pin, way after legal shooting hours.

big g

paul follmer
    any where there biting

I went to Toxonics this year and I am amazed at how bright the pins are in low light.

paul follmer
    any where there biting

I went to Toxonics this year and I am amazed at how bright the pins are in low light.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Quote:

\ You may want to look at the HHA line of sites as well!!

I forgot about HHA

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Quote:

\ You may want to look at the HHA line of sites as well!!

I forgot about HHA

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

I just bought the bow last Dec, Its a new (last years)left handed Bowtech Old Glory. Im very happy with it!
    It has an older Trophy Taker one it. This is my first year Bow hunting so Im not up on the new little goodys yet.
    I have shot a league with it and what an addiction!

The money issue I believe you get what you pay for and Im used to the hunting/fishing expence so not much of a draw back there.

Shooting lefty Its a little harder to try someone elses bow.
    Whats the ups and downs going from single to multi pin?

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

I just bought the bow last Dec, Its a new (last years)left handed Bowtech Old Glory. Im very happy with it!
    It has an older Trophy Taker one it. This is my first year Bow hunting so Im not up on the new little goodys yet.
    I have shot a league with it and what an addiction!

The money issue I believe you get what you pay for and Im used to the hunting/fishing expence so not much of a draw back there.

Shooting lefty Its a little harder to try someone elses bow.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Quote:

I personally don’t like single pin adjustable sight We had a post about this same thing before and how you have to adjust your sight AS the deer is walking to/through or at a trail/shooting lane. Most of the time, people sight in their bow for 20 yards and work their way higher up and mark the spot on the sight where 30,40,50 yards are etc. But what happens when a deer is coming on a 25 yard trail and you have adjusted your sight for that distance and for some reason the deer spooks out to 38 yards!! do you let down, range, adjust, and shoot?? Or do you guess and aim higher and HOPE that the arrow hits double lung???

I would go w/ a multi pin sight IMO more confidence, less movement in the tree

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Quote:

I personally don’t like single pin adjustable sight We had a post about this same thing before and how you have to adjust your sight AS the deer is walking to/through or at a trail/shooting lane. Most of the time, people sight in their bow for 20 yards and work their way higher up and mark the spot on the sight where 30,40,50 yards are etc. But what happens when a deer is coming on a 25 yard trail and you have adjusted your sight for that distance and for some reason the deer spooks out to 38 yards!! do you let down, range, adjust, and shoot?? Or do you guess and aim higher and HOPE that the arrow hits double lung???

I would go w/ a multi pin sight IMO more confidence, less movement in the tree

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

Irealy like the copperjohn

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

Irealy like the copperjohn

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

A single pin sight is usually used for 3-d target shooting. I have had one on one of my hunting bows, and I did well with it. The best place for using that type of sight is where you are hunting stands that only have a “one distance” shooting lane. Such as in a hunting area that is SO thick, that there is only one spot for a deer to walk by, and that distance is known by the hunter. For example lets say 25 yards. So you have your one pin sight set up for 25 yards. In my opinion, in this type of hunting, a one pin sight is the best. Reason being, if you have a monster buck come in, and you get buck fever, you don’t have to think about which pin you need, and possible grab the wrong pin, and shoot over or under him. If you read a ton about bowhunting you will find a lot of big animals are missed by a bowhunter “grabbing the wrong pin” after getting buck fever.

Three, or five pin sights, is a matter of personal preference. I use a five pin sighted in at 20,30,40,50,60 yards. I am confident in my bow at 60 yards and I shot two does last year at 60 yards. Both of them I recovered. With a three pin, there would be more guessing/estimating in between pins. The five pin suits me perfect. Also- I would suggest getting all green pins, you can get replacement fiber optic’s for most sights on the market, and all you need to do is order five fibers of green. This will help eye focus as well. There are also some amazing things you can do to fiber optic’s to modify them, and make them better and brighter.

A lot of the bow shops should have sights set up some type of bow/handle set up. I suggest going in to a bow shop and checking them all out- Check to see which one fits your eye focus/vision the best.

Last, but in my opinion- most important- durability- I don’t want my sight going down on me, in the middle of the rut. I spend more time bow-hunting than anything else. My equipment is hunted hard, and that is why I recommend Spott Hogg- It is the most durable sight on the market-

I am sorry for such a long response, but hopefully this helps a little, and if you have any other questions, there are a ton of great hunters on this site- don’t hesitate to ask!!!!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

A single pin sight is usually used for 3-d target shooting. I have had one on one of my hunting bows, and I did well with it. The best place for using that type of sight is where you are hunting stands that only have a “one distance” shooting lane. Such as in a hunting area that is SO thick, that there is only one spot for a deer to walk by, and that distance is known by the hunter. For example lets say 25 yards. So you have your one pin sight set up for 25 yards. In my opinion, in this type of hunting, a one pin sight is the best. Reason being, if you have a monster buck come in, and you get buck fever, you don’t have to think about which pin you need, and possible grab the wrong pin, and shoot over or under him. If you read a ton about bowhunting you will find a lot of big animals are missed by a bowhunter “grabbing the wrong pin” after getting buck fever.

Three, or five pin sights, is a matter of personal preference. I use a five pin sighted in at 20,30,40,50,60 yards. I am confident in my bow at 60 yards and I shot two does last year at 60 yards. Both of them I recovered. With a three pin, there would be more guessing/estimating in between pins. The five pin suits me perfect. Also- I would suggest getting all green pins, you can get replacement fiber optic’s for most sights on the market, and all you need to do is order five fibers of green. This will help eye focus as well. There are also some amazing things you can do to fiber optic’s to modify them, and make them better and brighter.

A lot of the bow shops should have sights set up some type of bow/handle set up. I suggest going in to a bow shop and checking them all out- Check to see which one fits your eye focus/vision the best.

Last, but in my opinion- most important- durability- I don’t want my sight going down on me, in the middle of the rut. I spend more time bow-hunting than anything else. My equipment is hunted hard, and that is why I recommend Spott Hogg- It is the most durable sight on the market-

I am sorry for such a long response, but hopefully this helps a little, and if you have any other questions, there are a ton of great hunters on this site- don’t hesitate to ask!!!!

scc
    LaX, WI

Extreme with a Purple Haze light. The pins are much more sturdy than my old Trophy Ridge and the light system is unmatched.

scc
    LaX, WI

Extreme with a Purple Haze light. The pins are much more sturdy than my old Trophy Ridge and the light system is unmatched.

JaredRathbun
    Becker, MN

I put a Fuse Profire 5 pin on my bow this year and have been very happy with it. The pins are very durable. I had it elk hunting in colorado with me this year and hooked my sight several times on branches, never broke a pin. They are also very bright.
    For hunting i would stick with a multi-pin. It is one less thing to think about when Ol-tangle horns steps into range.

JaredRathbun
    Becker, MN

I put a Fuse Profire 5 pin on my bow this year and have been very happy with it. The pins are very durable. I had it elk hunting in colorado with me this year and hooked my sight several times on branches, never broke a pin. They are also very bright.
    For hunting i would stick with a multi-pin. It is one less thing to think about when Ol-tangle horns steps into range.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have a 20, 30 and 40 yard pin. Works for me.

big g

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.