Anybody hunting in this heat?

• paul follmer
    any where there biting

Just wondering if anybody is hunting in this heat. I am itching to get out just this heat keeps me away not to mention these hurricane force winds.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Plan on going out here in about 10 min. I got about a hour drive, so im hoping to get in the stand by 5:30

Between 2 of us last night we saw 24 deer and 5 bucks. 2 shooters and a good eight pointer.

We will see what happens tonight

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Plan on going out here in about 10 min. I got about a hour drive, so im hoping to get in the stand by 5:30

Between 2 of us last night we saw 24 deer and 5 bucks. 2 shooters and a good eight pointer.

We will see what happens tonight

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

I think your talking deer hunting but I am a waterfowler. I was out all day yesterday for the opener and then again this morning. We shot our limit of ducks yesterday but today was not as good. I dont care how hot out it is I just go and hunt, Cause when November 22nd comes and Duck Closed and then Early December when Goose closes I wish I could have one more day. Get out and hunt while you can is my theory

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

I think your talking deer hunting but I am a waterfowler. I was out all day yesterday for the opener and then again this morning. We shot our limit of ducks yesterday but today was not as good. I dont care how hot out it is I just go and hunt, Cause when November 22nd comes and Duck Closed and then Early December when Goose closes I wish I could have one more day. Get out and hunt while you can is my theory

paul follmer
    any where there biting

Quote:

Sorry, yes I am talking about bow hunting deer

paul follmer
    any where there biting

Quote:

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Went out last night..Entered the woods in a t-shirt and shorts..got dressed in the stand and sat till about 6:00..had a nice doe at 8yrds with no fawns so I let her have it…Ran about 75yrds and dropped …so steaks for dinner tonight…when I walked out of the woods there were about 20 to 25 deer in a alfala field next to my property…the deer were movin and not sure why as it was HOT…I was worried about the heat but I had a good clear shot so had to take it…stayin home tonight though…88 degrees…yuk…Jay

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Went out last night..Entered the woods in a t-shirt and shorts..got dressed in the stand and sat till about 6:00..had a nice doe at 8yrds with no fawns so I let her have it…Ran about 75yrds and dropped …so steaks for dinner tonight…when I walked out of the woods there were about 20 to 25 deer in a alfala field next to my property…the deer were movin and not sure why as it was HOT…I was worried about the heat but I had a good clear shot so had to take it…stayin home tonight though…88 degrees…yuk…Jay

paul follmer
    any where there biting

Hey Rat are you cutting and freezing on the same day you shoot the deer???, Just curious I would like to hunt but figure the meat would spoil on the drag out.

paul follmer
    any where there biting

Hey Rat are you cutting and freezing on the same day you shoot the deer???, Just curious I would like to hunt but figure the meat would spoil on the drag out.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Quote:

I think your talking deer hunting but I am a waterfowler.

What else would he be talking about this is the Deer Hunting Forum.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Quote:

I think your talking deer hunting but I am a waterfowler.

What else would he be talking about this is the Deer Hunting Forum.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

are you cutting and freezing on the same day you shoot the deer???,

I am not Rat, but here is what I did when hunting in the heat. As soon as I found the animal, get it field dressed as quick as possible, and get it home. I then skinned and quartered without the bone right away. If I didn’t have time to cut and wrap the meat right away, I put the meat in garbage bags and put them in the refrigerator. I also didn’t put a lot of meat in each bag so the meat could cool down faster. If you don’t have a lot of dirt or debri on the meat, it doesn’t affect the meat if it sits overnight in a cool area. Just my opinion

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

are you cutting and freezing on the same day you shoot the deer???,

I am not Rat, but here is what I did when hunting in the heat. As soon as I found the animal, get it field dressed as quick as possible, and get it home. I then skinned and quartered without the bone right away. If I didn’t have time to cut and wrap the meat right away, I put the meat in garbage bags and put them in the refrigerator. I also didn’t put a lot of meat in each bag so the meat could cool down faster. If you don’t have a lot of dirt or debri on the meat, it doesn’t affect the meat if it sits overnight in a cool area. Just my opinion

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

If I didn’t have time to cut and wrap the meat right away, I put the meat in garbage bags and put them in the refrigerator.

Be careful what kind of bag you use most garbage bags will say right on the box not recommended for food storage, I believe that most of them are treated with something for odors or bugs but I am not sure what it is. I have been told by a couple of different guys who do deer processing not to put the meat in garbage bags.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

If I didn’t have time to cut and wrap the meat right away, I put the meat in garbage bags and put them in the refrigerator.

Be careful what kind of bag you use most garbage bags will say right on the box not recommended for food storage, I believe that most of them are treated with something for odors or bugs but I am not sure what it is. I have been told by a couple of different guys who do deer processing not to put the meat in garbage bags.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Ooops, I guess I better tell myself to fall over and get sick now
    Honestly, I have never heard this before and I have done this for quite a few years with no ill effects
    It very well could be true, but chewing,smoking, driving, eating red meat, drinking water, eating eggs, drinking coffee, fishing in lightning, and just about everything else will kill you according to 80% of the experts

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Ooops, I guess I better tell myself to fall over and get sick now
    Honestly, I have never heard this before and I have done this for quite a few years with no ill effects
    It very well could be true, but chewing,smoking, driving, eating red meat, drinking water, eating eggs, drinking coffee, fishing in lightning, and just about everything else will kill you according to 80% of the experts

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

From Glad Trash Bags Web Site FAQs

Can I store food for a party in GLAD Trash Bags?
    The only type of our garbage and trash bags that is currently approved for food storage is the GLAD Small Garbage Bag (4 gallon capacity). This is clearly indicated on each carton.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

From Glad Trash Bags Web Site FAQs

Can I store food for a party in GLAD Trash Bags?
    The only type of our garbage and trash bags that is currently approved for food storage is the GLAD Small Garbage Bag (4 gallon capacity). This is clearly indicated on each carton.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Food Safety for Farmer’s Market Vendors

Scroll down to Providing Safe Food

7.Store food in food grade containers or packaging materials. Garbage bags are treated with mold inhibitors and these chemicals are not food grade. Old bread sacks and grocery bags may be contaminated from food previously stored in these bags.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Food Safety for Farmer’s Market Vendors

Scroll down to Providing Safe Food

7.Store food in food grade containers or packaging materials. Garbage bags are treated with mold inhibitors and these chemicals are not food grade. Old bread sacks and grocery bags may be contaminated from food previously stored in these bags.

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Eye…I did skin and de-bone everyting sat night..I typically wont shoot when its this warm as if I didnt find it right away it goes to wast..I had a clear easy close shot and got lucky findin it right away…Gut it, brought it home hung it and a hour and half later its it the freezer…minus some back straps that were in the :whistling stomach …I dont think I would have any trouble hangin it thru the night though as long as it was hung and the chest was spread..Jay

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Eye…I did skin and de-bone everyting sat night..I typically wont shoot when its this warm as if I didnt find it right away it goes to wast..I had a clear easy close shot and got lucky findin it right away…Gut it, brought it home hung it and a hour and half later its it the freezer…minus some back straps that were in the :whistling stomach …I dont think I would have any trouble hangin it thru the night though as long as it was hung and the chest was spread..Jay

col._klink
    St Paul

I have been in the woods to hunt in over a week . It’s just to hot. I like to hang em for a couple days. When you butcher you own I think that it is a little better to have it colder for hanging and butchering.

JEEZ I have been putting Ducks, Pheasents, Fish in garbage bags for a long time. In fact I just ground some Venison this weekend that was in a black garbage bag.

WHO DA THUNK?

col._klink
    St Paul

I have been in the woods to hunt in over a week . It’s just to hot. I like to hang em for a couple days. When you butcher you own I think that it is a little better to have it colder for hanging and butchering.

JEEZ I have been putting Ducks, Pheasents, Fish in garbage bags for a long time. In fact I just ground some Venison this weekend that was in a black garbage bag.

WHO DA THUNK?

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Steve Ive heard the same about the blck garbage bags about 10 years ago from the guy I bring my meat to…So thanks for sharin I never read anything about it but always heard about it….jay

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Steve Ive heard the same about the blck garbage bags about 10 years ago from the guy I bring my meat to…So thanks for sharin I never read anything about it but always heard about it….jay

robhood23

Shot a doe last night with my 5 year old in the blind with me. Let her go an hour and found her, gutted her and filled her with ice, put some wood under her to let air circulate and took it to the butcher this morning right away and he said she looked great!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.