Broadhead Choice??

• bthess
    Manly, IA

Just curious what everyone is shooting for broadheads this year?? Personally I use to shoot muzzys but am looking to switch maybe even to a mechanical like a Rage. Wasnt impressed with the damage the muzzys did last year but who knows maybe a guy cant beat em?? Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

It depends on your style, choice of arrow weight, draw weight etc…I recommend at least 60# of kinetic energy to shoot Mech Broadheads…for a garaunteed pass thru.
    Montecs, Slick Tricks, Sonics, HellRazors, Stingers…just to name a few are all excellent shooters!
    I have had great luck with 125gr Muzzys too…

tom_gursky

It depends on your style, choice of arrow weight, draw weight etc…I recommend at least 60# of kinetic energy to shoot Mech Broadheads…for a garaunteed pass thru.
    Montecs, Slick Tricks, Sonics, HellRazors, Stingers…just to name a few are all excellent shooters!

gregh
    s.e. minn

Quote:

Even with 60# of kenitic energy theres NO guarenty the mech. are going to open. I’m a fixed blade hunter after 2 bad experiences with mech. heads. Thunderheads get my vote.

gregh
    s.e. minn

Quote:

Even with 60# of kenitic energy theres NO guarenty the mech. are going to open. I’m a fixed blade hunter after 2 bad experiences with mech. heads. Thunderheads get my vote.

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Rocket Hammerhead…..DEVASTATING Check out the reviews on Cabela’s. They’ve made a 3 blade and a 4 blade, if you can find the 4 blade let me know I want to stock up. I don’t think they make the 4 blade anymore.

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Rocket Hammerhead…..DEVASTATING Check out the reviews on Cabela’s. They’ve made a 3 blade and a 4 blade, if you can find the 4 blade let me know I want to stock up. I don’t think they make the 4 blade anymore.

paul follmer
    any where there biting

I shoot either side winders or Rocky mountain Assins, both are mechanicals and never had a problem yet.

Always a clean pass thru, but then again I try to wait for a good shot so I get the pass thru.

Shooting them with a Hoyt makes a big difference too.

paul follmer
    any where there biting

I shoot either side winders or Rocky mountain Assins, both are mechanicals and never had a problem yet.

Always a clean pass thru, but then again I try to wait for a good shot so I get the pass thru.

Shooting them with a Hoyt makes a big difference too.

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

(mechanical)100 grain spitfires, (fixed) 4 blade muzzy or the thunderhead 100,s is what ive had the best luck with for alot of years. I have heard good about the rage ,but havent tried them yet. Iam kind of going with the aint broke dont fix theory.

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

(mechanical)100 grain spitfires, (fixed) 4 blade muzzy or the thunderhead 100,s is what ive had the best luck with for alot of years. I have heard good about the rage ,but havent tried them yet. Iam kind of going with the aint broke dont fix theory.

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

Fixed Muzzy are the way to go.. Three blades and 100 grain seems to do the trick

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

Fixed Muzzy are the way to go.. Three blades and 100 grain seems to do the trick

coppertop
    Central MN

Thunderhead 100’s for years, I’m also leary about mechanicals but I’m thinking maybe of joining the bandwagon and trying the Rage??? Good move or not???

coppertop
    Central MN

Thunderhead 100’s for years, I’m also leary about mechanicals but I’m thinking maybe of joining the bandwagon and trying the Rage??? Good move or not???

thegun
    mn

I like the muzzy’s but that’s me!@ the one thing about a broad head is it needs to fly true! this is more important than anything else! If you hit your mark a field point will get it done! (by no means am i recommending you to use a field point for hunting)

Paper tune your bow with whatever broad head you choose target practice and you will be in good shape! there are so many good products out there it would be hard to say witch is the BEST!

Find something you have confidence in and stick with it

thegun
    mn

I like the muzzy’s but that’s me!@ the one thing about a broad head is it needs to fly true! this is more important than anything else! If you hit your mark a field point will get it done! (by no means am i recommending you to use a field point for hunting)

Paper tune your bow with whatever broad head you choose target practice and you will be in good shape! there are so many good products out there it would be hard to say witch is the BEST!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Rocky Mtn. Snypers!!! Never had a problem w/ them, and they cause tremendous damage!!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Rocky Mtn. Snypers!!! Never had a problem w/ them, and they cause tremendous damage!!

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I shoot the greatest broadhead ever made. Nothing beats the bone penetrating power of a Zwicky broadhead. I shoot the 125 gr. with bleeder blades. This is a fixed blade broadhead so it helps to practice with the broadheads as they do fly different than a field point. These broadheads are tough. I’ve got one broadhead that has taken 3 deer and is still in use.

A tip for any broadhead is to take and dip each blade in petrolium jelly before sticking it in your quiver. This is especially important for high-carbon steel blades as it keeps the blades from oxidizing (rusting) when in your quiver.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I shoot the greatest broadhead ever made. Nothing beats the bone penetrating power of a Zwicky broadhead. I shoot the 125 gr. with bleeder blades. This is a fixed blade broadhead so it helps to practice with the broadheads as they do fly different than a field point. These broadheads are tough. I’ve got one broadhead that has taken 3 deer and is still in use.

A tip for any broadhead is to take and dip each blade in petrolium jelly before sticking it in your quiver. This is especially important for high-carbon steel blades as it keeps the blades from oxidizing (rusting) when in your quiver.

Eyehunter

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

Same here

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

Same here

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

Quote:

This is why I use mech heads, shoot all summer with field pts and then have to re-sight in my bow for broadheads, no thanks. It give much more confidence in my shot placement abilities and in windy conditions.

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

Quote:

This is why I use mech heads, shoot all summer with field pts and then have to re-sight in my bow for broadheads, no thanks. It give much more confidence in my shot placement abilities and in windy conditions.

tom_gursky

Quote:

Quote:

Good Points! Just some added advice for some of the newer bowhunters here…Mech heads do fly well because the blades that can change the shooting dynamics on a fixed blade head are folded in for a very inobtrusive profile…
    HOWEVER!!! This does not imply that they are flying perfect or the set up is “in tune”..meaning the arrows are flying straight and not slightly sideways.
    Mechs and Drop away rests are often sold and set up on bows with this implication…WRONG!

With the proper spined arrow a good Bow Tech can “tune” any quality broadhead to shoot to the same point of impact with the correct weight tgt point…fixed blade or not…

I have run an archery shop for over 30 years…there is no MAGIC set up… It is our responsibility to the game we hunt to be sure that our equipment is set up properly with matched arrows that are paper or bare shaft tuned.
    Just recently I had two nice fellas come in with new $1000 bow set ups…the Drop aways were way off…the carbon arrow spines too light. They were told by the dealers employee that with Mech heads and drop Away rests that there was no worries about tuning and set up anymore…

tom_gursky

Quote:

Quote:

Good Points! Just some added advice for some of the newer bowhunters here…Mech heads do fly well because the blades that can change the shooting dynamics on a fixed blade head are folded in for a very inobtrusive profile…
    HOWEVER!!! This does not imply that they are flying perfect or the set up is “in tune”..meaning the arrows are flying straight and not slightly sideways.
    Mechs and Drop away rests are often sold and set up on bows with this implication…WRONG!

With the proper spined arrow a good Bow Tech can “tune” any quality broadhead to shoot to the same point of impact with the correct weight tgt point…fixed blade or not…

I have run an archery shop for over 30 years…there is no MAGIC set up… It is our responsibility to the game we hunt to be sure that our equipment is set up properly with matched arrows that are paper or bare shaft tuned.
    Just recently I had two nice fellas come in with new $1000 bow set ups…the Drop aways were way off…the carbon arrow spines too light. They were told by the dealers employee that with Mech heads and drop Away rests that there was no worries about tuning and set up anymore…

bthess
    Manly, IA

For those of you that shoot Muzzy 3 Blade have you ever had a really good blood trail?? I use to swear by them but last year I double lung shot a doe a little high but couldnt find a drop a buddy of mine shot a similiar shot with an expandable and had a river to follow. I know Im not nuts about shooting something that you have to rely on opening to do the job but was curious thanks for everyones input and good luck this Fall!

bthess
    Manly, IA

For those of you that shoot Muzzy 3 Blade have you ever had a really good blood trail?? I use to swear by them but last year I double lung shot a doe a little high but couldnt find a drop a buddy of mine shot a similiar shot with an expandable and had a river to follow. I know Im not nuts about shooting something that you have to rely on opening to do the job but was curious thanks for everyones input and good luck this Fall!

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Fixed 100 Muzzys for me

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.