tree climbing frustration!!!

• eye_hunter

i have used tons of hang on tree stands in the past and i am tired of them because of the hard assembly. i wanted to buy a tree climber from cabela but then when i looked at the price they vary so much for tree stands that mostly look alike. i wander what is the difference in them? and i want to know base on your oppinion if they are safe being that i am a new hunter. i have heard stories that with climbers you can sometimes slide down a tree when you are sitting. just wanted to see if i should buy a climber or not and wanted peoples advice.

the_grump
    Le Center

Climbers can be very nice, if you hunt different spots often. Make sure the trees in your hunting area will work with a climber, they need to be fairly staight and limb free. Just make sure you tie the bottom to the top, and spend some time practicing before the hunt.
    I starting using ladder stands last year, and really like them.

the_grump
    Le Center

Climbers can be very nice, if you hunt different spots often. Make sure the trees in your hunting area will work with a climber, they need to be fairly staight and limb free. Just make sure you tie the bottom to the top, and spend some time practicing before the hunt.
    I starting using ladder stands last year, and really like them.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

I slid down a tree twenty feet with my climber. Don’t attempt to hunt on wet trees. Broke my leg in the fall.

Not all climber are hot built equal, I also take it you were not wearing a safety belt.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

I slid down a tree twenty feet with my climber. Don’t attempt to hunt on wet trees. Broke my leg in the fall.

Not all climber are hot built equal, I also take it you were not wearing a safety belt.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

no matter how much it costs you still have to take all the safety precautions.

True’er words were never spoken.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

no matter how much it costs you still have to take all the safety precautions.

True’er words were never spoken.

Outback
    Osage, IA

I have used that Lone Wolf climber for the last couple years and love it. You have to have the right tree for any climber but they are great once you find that tree. I also like the lone wolf climbing sticks for sets that the climber doesn’t work. No more screw in steps for me. Hope this helps. Always wear a harness!!!

Outback
    Osage, IA

I have used that Lone Wolf climber for the last couple years and love it. You have to have the right tree for any climber but they are great once you find that tree. I also like the lone wolf climbing sticks for sets that the climber doesn’t work. No more screw in steps for me. Hope this helps. Always wear a harness!!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have gotten so smart… or lazy, that I just leave my screw in steps in the tree. I pretty much have my go to spots, and I just leave them in. They are less than a couple bucks each, and who nees to get all sweaty putting steps in, first thing. Also, I have never used a climber. Do you work up a sweat putting them up ?

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have gotten so smart… or lazy, that I just leave my screw in steps in the tree. I pretty much have my go to spots, and I just leave them in. They are less than a couple bucks each, and who nees to get all sweaty putting steps in, first thing. Also, I have never used a climber. Do you work up a sweat putting them up ?

big g

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

A good climber is not much more work then climbing up a on tree steps. You do have to have the right trees in the area you are going to hunt. In my mind lonewolf make the best climbing stand out there. Weighs 15 pound and is very easy to set-up. Cost alot , but you take it with you so it wont be stolen.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

A good climber is not much more work then climbing up a on tree steps. You do have to have the right trees in the area you are going to hunt. In my mind lonewolf make the best climbing stand out there. Weighs 15 pound and is very easy to set-up. Cost alot , but you take it with you so it wont be stolen.

lunzer
    Burnsville, MN

I too had a climber slide on me last rifle season. I was wearing my harness and was luckily only about 10ft from the gound. And becasue the tree I was in wasnt optimal for a climber (stupid move on my part), I couldnt get the foot portion of the climber to catch. So after wearing myself out trying to get the foot piece to catch, I ended up having to bear hug the tree and cut my harness. I scooted the rest of the way down the tree.

I leared 2 valueable lessons. #1 NEVER use a less then optimal tree to climb. #2 ALWAYS carry a knife on your hip in case you need to free yourself from your harness.

Luckily I only ended up with a bruised ego!

lunzer
    Burnsville, MN

I too had a climber slide on me last rifle season. I was wearing my harness and was luckily only about 10ft from the gound. And becasue the tree I was in wasnt optimal for a climber (stupid move on my part), I couldnt get the foot portion of the climber to catch. So after wearing myself out trying to get the foot piece to catch, I ended up having to bear hug the tree and cut my harness. I scooted the rest of the way down the tree.

I leared 2 valueable lessons. #1 NEVER use a less then optimal tree to climb. #2 ALWAYS carry a knife on your hip in case you need to free yourself from your harness.

Luckily I only ended up with a bruised ego!

eye_hunter

wow thanks for all the replys, i was just wondering what kind of tree would not be safe for tree climbing. and also what tree climbers would you guys recommend for about 200 bucks. thanks you guys.

eye_hunter

wow thanks for all the replys, i was just wondering what kind of tree would not be safe for tree climbing. and also what tree climbers would you guys recommend for about 200 bucks. thanks you guys.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.