Coon hunter in my deer woods

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Its all about respecting this guys rights to hunt and use his lease as he wants.

If I understand his first post correctly he and his partner bought the land which would give them way more rights than if just leased the land.

northern illinois

Yea, we did buy the fifty acres. We dropped 120 large on it. Ill be going to do some scouting for deer hunting and to see if he’s been in there. It wont be to hard to tell since he exclusivley uses the ATV’s. A month ago when I posted the land, I made sure to put the in plain sight where his trails enter. Also wrote on the signs NO DOGS / NO ATVS. I hope he takes it personal. We dropped a ton of dough on this and I do expect to have a good hunt this year. Last year sucked; my son and I only saw a few does and I know of its trophy potential. Ive hunted this area for over 20 years and there are big deer in the area. Ill post after I scout a bit in the next few days and give you an update. Thanks for all the input; Im just trying to EDUCATE myself———————————-H

northern illinois

Yea, we did buy the fifty acres. We dropped 120 large on it. Ill be going to do some scouting for deer hunting and to see if he’s been in there. It wont be to hard to tell since he exclusivley uses the ATV’s. A month ago when I posted the land, I made sure to put the in plain sight where his trails enter. Also wrote on the signs NO DOGS / NO ATVS. I hope he takes it personal. We dropped a ton of dough on this and I do expect to have a good hunt this year. Last year sucked; my son and I only saw a few does and I know of its trophy potential. Ive hunted this area for over 20 years and there are big deer in the area. Ill post after I scout a bit in the next few days and give you an update. Thanks for all the input; Im just trying to EDUCATE myself———————————-H

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Good luck hatchetman…hope all is well on the land!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Good luck hatchetman…hope all is well on the land!

thegun
    mn

Coon hunters!!!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, you can tell the man not to trespass but if he lets his dogs loose and they run onto your land! HE HA EVERY RIGHT TO GO RETREIVE THEM! By law if he has been told not to hunt there or be on the land he has to go directly to the dog or dogs nad leash them up and take the shortest way out! he can not carry a gun or shoot the coon!

at this point the deer have been scared away anyway! if this guy is out there coon hunting maybe a few nights a month i would have no probs with it! on the other hand if hes out everyother night@ It will effect your deer hunting in a big way!

be nice explain your concerns and tell him he cant hunt! he will tell you oh im not hurting anything! then say if you want land to hunt BUY IT!

GOOD LUCK!

thegun
    mn

Coon hunters!!!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, you can tell the man not to trespass but if he lets his dogs loose and they run onto your land! HE HA EVERY RIGHT TO GO RETREIVE THEM! By law if he has been told not to hunt there or be on the land he has to go directly to the dog or dogs nad leash them up and take the shortest way out! he can not carry a gun or shoot the coon!

at this point the deer have been scared away anyway! if this guy is out there coon hunting maybe a few nights a month i would have no probs with it! on the other hand if hes out everyother night@ It will effect your deer hunting in a big way!

be nice explain your concerns and tell him he cant hunt! he will tell you oh im not hurting anything! then say if you want land to hunt BUY IT!

GOOD LUCK!

big_g
    Isle, MN

This will go the way of other hunting and laws. Enough problems will be created, (by the coon hunters themselves) to where they will outlaw it, or make it stricter. Then after that happens, the coon hunters will really pizz and moan. If you cannot respect somebody elses land, and think you can blame it on dumb dogs, you are in for some real changes in the laws governing your sport.

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

This will go the way of other hunting and laws. Enough problems will be created, (by the coon hunters themselves) to where they will outlaw it, or make it stricter. Then after that happens, the coon hunters will really pizz and moan. If you cannot respect somebody elses land, and think you can blame it on dumb dogs, you are in for some real changes in the laws governing your sport.

big g

herefishyfishy
    MN

I would think you would still be responsible for your dogs treapassing. If your dogs attacks someone you are criminally liable for thier actions so I would think the same type of responsibility would apply. I also agree with big G. Its funny to blame it on the dogs. So is it your cars fault when it runs out of gas? Not yours?

herefishyfishy
    MN

I would think you would still be responsible for your dogs treapassing. If your dogs attacks someone you are criminally liable for thier actions so I would think the same type of responsibility would apply. I also agree with big G. Its funny to blame it on the dogs. So is it your cars fault when it runs out of gas? Not yours?

Tenpoint
    Sandstone, MN

This is sure a tough crowd. I sure hope none of your labs, pointers, spaniels, etc, ever get seperated from you on a my land.

Tenpoint
    Sandstone, MN

This is sure a tough crowd. I sure hope none of your labs, pointers, spaniels, etc, ever get seperated from you on a my land.

thegun
    mn

Quote:

Oh bird dogs never take off on track!

thegun
    mn

Quote:

Oh bird dogs never take off on track!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Tenpoint, after you have asked me to keep them off, and I blow you off and say they are not hurting anything & keep running em through, I would not blame you for shooting my dog, and then me.

big g

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Tenpoint, after you have asked me to keep them off, and I blow you off and say they are not hurting anything & keep running em through, I would not blame you for shooting my dog, and then me.

big g

big g

col._klink
    St Paul

Pretty simple concept. I own the land. Stay off.

col._klink
    St Paul

Pretty simple concept. I own the land. Stay off.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Once again this is NOT an issue about the dogs! The issue is about the dogs owner and his OBVIOUS lack of respect for the land owners!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Once again this is NOT an issue about the dogs! The issue is about the dogs owner and his OBVIOUS lack of respect for the land owners!

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

In most states you cannot shoot a hunting dog unless it is chasing deer, in some states even if it is chasing deer only a warden can shoot it. I doubt many bird or coon hunters will tolerate an off-game dog. It wasn’t that long ago I had a couple bird dogs in my yard, no collars, no tags. I called the county dog catcher and they provided me with the owners name and phone number, I called and told him he could pick them up at his convenience. He picked them up while I was at work and left beer, that is the way it should be.

I dont think bird dogs bother deer, I don’t think many coon hounds bother deer, an occassional beagle with a thick skull might.

Don’t even bring up guys with spotlights at night that spook deer out of the fields driving down the road. Yes, it is legal for them to do it, but I view it as invasion of privacy…kind of like some of you view a hunting dog on your land. Well I did something about it, about the time the shiners start I put out a bunch of painted lathe stuck in the ground with the reflective trail dots on them. And don’t think for a minute that if I was in this guy from IL shoes that I wouldn’t put up a 4 foot electrified wooven wire fence, especially when land in my area runs $3500/acre or more for large parcels. A 13 acre parcel just to the west brought 65000, check out page 2 of listings at http://www.go1realty.com

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

In most states you cannot shoot a hunting dog unless it is chasing deer, in some states even if it is chasing deer only a warden can shoot it. I doubt many bird or coon hunters will tolerate an off-game dog. It wasn’t that long ago I had a couple bird dogs in my yard, no collars, no tags. I called the county dog catcher and they provided me with the owners name and phone number, I called and told him he could pick them up at his convenience. He picked them up while I was at work and left beer, that is the way it should be.

I dont think bird dogs bother deer, I don’t think many coon hounds bother deer, an occassional beagle with a thick skull might.

Don’t even bring up guys with spotlights at night that spook deer out of the fields driving down the road. Yes, it is legal for them to do it, but I view it as invasion of privacy…kind of like some of you view a hunting dog on your land. Well I did something about it, about the time the shiners start I put out a bunch of painted lathe stuck in the ground with the reflective trail dots on them. And don’t think for a minute that if I was in this guy from IL shoes that I wouldn’t put up a 4 foot electrified wooven wire fence, especially when land in my area runs $3500/acre or more for large parcels. A 13 acre parcel just to the west brought 65000, check out page 2 of listings at http://www.go1realty.com

thegun
    mn

Ill remember that when you shoot your big buck and he runs on my land! Ill be sure and tell you to get off and you cant take the deer!

This is Y hunting is getting hardwer and harder and our childeren wont grow up to be hunters!

everyone is so up tight about there land! its SAD!!!

I own land and i love the fact that it is mine and i allso get great pleasure when one of the guys comes up telling me about the deer or whatever it was they shot and how thankfull they are i am willing to share my land!

All you land owners out there that call yourselfs hunters!! maybe its time to share and give the opertunity to others to hunt fish sight see or whatever! If we dont our sport is going to DIE!!

what will be left is the handfull of guys and there family that own land that can hunt and the milllions of dollars that go to fight for our sports will no longer be there!

sad reallity but it is what it is!

thegun
    mn

Ill remember that when you shoot your big buck and he runs on my land! Ill be sure and tell you to get off and you cant take the deer!

This is Y hunting is getting hardwer and harder and our childeren wont grow up to be hunters!

everyone is so up tight about there land! its SAD!!!

I own land and i love the fact that it is mine and i allso get great pleasure when one of the guys comes up telling me about the deer or whatever it was they shot and how thankfull they are i am willing to share my land!

All you land owners out there that call yourselfs hunters!! maybe its time to share and give the opertunity to others to hunt fish sight see or whatever! If we dont our sport is going to DIE!!

what will be left is the handfull of guys and there family that own land that can hunt and the milllions of dollars that go to fight for our sports will no longer be there!

sad reallity but it is what it is!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Why don’t people get this….this has nothing to do with Hatchetman not allowing this guy to hunt on his land. He just paid alot of money to hunt whitetail deer. He and his buddy haven’t even had the time to pattern the deer movement yet. Maybe after a few years of hunting and getting to know the land and landowners, maybe he will allow coon hunters or other deer hunters on his property…that is his right. But if I were him and just purchased new land, I would like to see what’s out there before I let someone else hunt it before me. I can only assume he bought it for himself and his buddy to hunt…given time maybe he’ll share it with other too. It’s not fair to judge him because he won’t let some inconsiderate so called “hunter” run his dogs and 4-wheeler all over his land when he’s not there!

Good hunters are called Sportsman….it’s quite obvious this coon hunter is not one of them!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Why don’t people get this….this has nothing to do with Hatchetman not allowing this guy to hunt on his land. He just paid alot of money to hunt whitetail deer. He and his buddy haven’t even had the time to pattern the deer movement yet. Maybe after a few years of hunting and getting to know the land and landowners, maybe he will allow coon hunters or other deer hunters on his property…that is his right. But if I were him and just purchased new land, I would like to see what’s out there before I let someone else hunt it before me. I can only assume he bought it for himself and his buddy to hunt…given time maybe he’ll share it with other too. It’s not fair to judge him because he won’t let some inconsiderate so called “hunter” run his dogs and 4-wheeler all over his land when he’s not there!

Good hunters are called Sportsman….it’s quite obvious this coon hunter is not one of them!

big_g
    Isle, MN

TheGun, there are laws in place, that allow you to enter someones land to recover a wounded animal, no guns, but you can go in, retrieve and get out. This is in Mn, I don’t know about other states. If you read the thread, the guy asked nicely for him to keep his coon dogs out, and he blew him off. I say no more nice guy, one azzhole deserves another. Talk about the FUTURE of hunting, what if Hatchetman wasn’t a hunter, but actually despised it, and was a member of PETA, think the coon hunter would have his hands full then. Slob hunters will only ruin it for themselves and everyone else.

big g

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.