Coon hunter in my deer woods

• bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Hatchet Man,
    If I were you, I wouldn’t want him in my woods either. Regardless of whether his 4 wheelers or dogs scare the deer. Did he ask you if he could run his dogs on your property? Does he own property that you could hunt? My guess is the answer is probably NO to both. I also agree with many others here in telling him directly to stay out before going to the Sheriff. Good luck.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Post the property and press charges if he is goes on your land. He will get the point after a few fines. I wouldn’t want guys running around on my land either. Goodluck!

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Post the property and press charges if he is goes on your land. He will get the point after a few fines. I wouldn’t want guys running around on my land either. Goodluck!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I agree with Rob & Walleyebuster5 this is your land and he has no business in there ever period, not only summer time but year round. I assume with you and your partner spending that kind of money that you want to manage your property for mature bucks, how many mature buck do you think will stick around with dogs running the woods on a regular basis. Like most others here have said find a nice way to tell him but be very clear and firm that he can not trespass on your land, also post the land, if that does not work then call the sheriff. Good luck and please let us know how this turns out.

Quote:

Quote:

I think I would start out by asking him not to do it anymore. It sounds like you’ve hinted at that and he is trying to tell you that he knows more about deer habits. I would explain it exactly as you did here. We spent a ton of dough and we really need the woods to be left alone when it comes summertime. If he doesn’t respond then I would go to the dnr,sheriff, etc.

Try the nice approach again and if he still doesn’t get it. Tell him that he is ILLEGALLY TRESSPASSING, if he still doesn’t get it. Call the Sheriff .

It is never good to have Pissed off neighbors. but sometimes there is no getting around it.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I agree with Rob & Walleyebuster5 this is your land and he has no business in there ever period, not only summer time but year round. I assume with you and your partner spending that kind of money that you want to manage your property for mature bucks, how many mature buck do you think will stick around with dogs running the woods on a regular basis. Like most others here have said find a nice way to tell him but be very clear and firm that he can not trespass on your land, also post the land, if that does not work then call the sheriff. Good luck and please let us know how this turns out.

Quote:

Quote:

I think I would start out by asking him not to do it anymore. It sounds like you’ve hinted at that and he is trying to tell you that he knows more about deer habits. I would explain it exactly as you did here. We spent a ton of dough and we really need the woods to be left alone when it comes summertime. If he doesn’t respond then I would go to the dnr,sheriff, etc.

Try the nice approach again and if he still doesn’t get it. Tell him that he is ILLEGALLY TRESSPASSING, if he still doesn’t get it. Call the Sheriff .

It is never good to have Pissed off neighbors. but sometimes there is no getting around it.

northern illinois

Thanks for all the input. I went into the woods to post signs last weekend; it was full of atv trails; as I suspected. Then talked with the guy personally. He told me that he would TRY to keep his dogs out. Then he went on to say that the home range of deer is about 1 mile and that the only thing that would make them leave is building a parking lot in the woods. He then told me I was an uneducated hunter and I should ask some of the other landowners that welcome him in their woods since if it made their deer seek solitude they wouldnt let him in. He also added that the coons are the biggest preditor of pheasants. Guess I need to do more research but I did post the land. Any opinions on that 1 mile range? Thanks in advance——H

northern illinois

Thanks for all the input. I went into the woods to post signs last weekend; it was full of atv trails; as I suspected. Then talked with the guy personally. He told me that he would TRY to keep his dogs out. Then he went on to say that the home range of deer is about 1 mile and that the only thing that would make them leave is building a parking lot in the woods. He then told me I was an uneducated hunter and I should ask some of the other landowners that welcome him in their woods since if it made their deer seek solitude they wouldnt let him in. He also added that the coons are the biggest preditor of pheasants. Guess I need to do more research but I did post the land. Any opinions on that 1 mile range? Thanks in advance——H

herefishyfishy
    MN

I dont like the sound of any of that!! “Try” to keep the dogs out???? Sounds like he has plenty of land to coon hunt on without yours. Time to stand up for yourself and your land and do what you want not what the neighbor wants you to do. If it does the solitude they will seek will be in your coon hunterless woods and all the better for you! I would keep it as quiet as possible if it was me. All of nature doesnt like atv’s cruising around at night! Not just deer. And he is insulting you, what nerve. Srry to get heated but I have a hard enough time trying to get permission to hunt and then there are people like this who dont respect landowners.

herefishyfishy
    MN

I dont like the sound of any of that!! “Try” to keep the dogs out???? Sounds like he has plenty of land to coon hunt on without yours. Time to stand up for yourself and your land and do what you want not what the neighbor wants you to do. If it does the solitude they will seek will be in your coon hunterless woods and all the better for you! I would keep it as quiet as possible if it was me. All of nature doesnt like atv’s cruising around at night! Not just deer. And he is insulting you, what nerve. Srry to get heated but I have a hard enough time trying to get permission to hunt and then there are people like this who dont respect landowners.

herefishyfishy
    MN

As far as the one mile range….I know bucks can travel alot farther during the rut but you will have resident deer on your land. Without the dogs and the ATV’s you will have more,no question. It depends on how serious you are and with the purchase of fifty acres I’d say your serious about your hunting! I would definately drop a headsup to the local warden for future problems. Always good to know the guy in your area anyway. Good Luck

herefishyfishy
    MN

As far as the one mile range….I know bucks can travel alot farther during the rut but you will have resident deer on your land. Without the dogs and the ATV’s you will have more,no question. It depends on how serious you are and with the purchase of fifty acres I’d say your serious about your hunting! I would definately drop a headsup to the local warden for future problems. Always good to know the guy in your area anyway. Good Luck

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

BS to that guys comments.

Deer will travel, no doubt. However, if you can have resident deer, the more the better for you. If you had a bedding area or well used travel routes on your piece of property because, no one enters this “area of solitude”, leaves scent behind, etc. deer will favor this area for travel routes and bedding. Bucks know this and will come into your area to check for does. Regardless of what he says other farmers say, anyone knows that this type of activity hinders deer activity (ask CopperTop).

If the problem perists, regardless if it scares the deer or not (I can promise you that it does ). This is your land not his, he has been warned and if he comes onto your property for almost any reason, he is tresspassing and punishable by law. Contact the Sherriff.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Deer will travel, no doubt. However, if you can have resident deer, the more the better for you. If you had a bedding area or well used travel routes on your piece of property because, no one enters this “area of solitude”, leaves scent behind, etc. deer will favor this area for travel routes and bedding. Bucks know this and will come into your area to check for does. Regardless of what he says other farmers say, anyone knows that this type of activity hinders deer activity (ask CopperTop).

If the problem perists, regardless if it scares the deer or not (I can promise you that it does ). This is your land not his, he has been warned and if he comes onto your property for almost any reason, he is tresspassing and punishable by law. Contact the Sherriff.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I agree with Rob 100% this guy just does not get it. You took the fist step by talking to him and posting the land if he trespasses again you need to call the Sheriff.

Quote:

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I agree with Rob 100% this guy just does not get it. You took the fist step by talking to him and posting the land if he trespasses again you need to call the Sheriff.

Quote:

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Maybe it’s time to also put out some trail cams. This way you might get the evidence you need to keep this off your property. Granted you run the risk of this guy maybe vandalizing them, but maybe it will make him think twice too. Or at the very least catch his dogs running your property.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Maybe it’s time to also put out some trail cams. This way you might get the evidence you need to keep this off your property. Granted you run the risk of this guy maybe vandalizing them, but maybe it will make him think twice too. Or at the very least catch his dogs running your property.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

At Night, One thing you will need is a NO Flash Infared Terail Camera.

Otherwise the flash will give away the location to the camera.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

At Night, One thing you will need is a NO Flash Infared Terail Camera.

Otherwise the flash will give away the location to the camera.

Tenpoint
    Sandstone, MN

I’m sure this will make me unpopular, but I have to play devil’s advocate here. I hunted a lot of coon growing up, and I just have a couple of points to make. Dogs can’t read. This guy is hunting on public property that ajoins yours. The dogs don’t know where the property lines are.In minnesota you can WALK in and retreave your dog off of private property. You don’t need permission. You can’t use an ATV, and you can’t shoot the coon, but you can get your dog back. I’m not sure what the law is if you have been told to stay off though. I don’t know if this guy has good dogs, or not, but if the dogs don’t run deer, and he does it a lot, It will not bother the deer. Back when I hunted a lot, I watched deer in a field keep eating, while the dogs ran acoss the other end of the field. The resident deer were used to dogs, and payed little attention to them. My other comment is to anyone who joking or otherwise makes comments about shooting, or setting traps for this guys dogs. What do you say when people talk of banning guns. I’ts not the guns fault, it’s the people with the guns. Well it’s the same thing here. Bad behavior by this guy is not the dogs fault. They are just doing what they are bred to do. Just like a good bird dog, a good coon dog is a very valuble, and hurting them, only exposes you to legal problems. If you do something to injure or kill these dogs remember this. You are not the Local, who’s side are the local sherrif, and local warden going to take. I am not saying this guy is in the right, Just trying to show the other side. Best of luck, I hope things turn out for you.

Tenpoint
    Sandstone, MN

I’m sure this will make me unpopular, but I have to play devil’s advocate here. I hunted a lot of coon growing up, and I just have a couple of points to make. Dogs can’t read. This guy is hunting on public property that ajoins yours. The dogs don’t know where the property lines are.In minnesota you can WALK in and retreave your dog off of private property. You don’t need permission. You can’t use an ATV, and you can’t shoot the coon, but you can get your dog back. I’m not sure what the law is if you have been told to stay off though. I don’t know if this guy has good dogs, or not, but if the dogs don’t run deer, and he does it a lot, It will not bother the deer. Back when I hunted a lot, I watched deer in a field keep eating, while the dogs ran acoss the other end of the field. The resident deer were used to dogs, and payed little attention to them. My other comment is to anyone who joking or otherwise makes comments about shooting, or setting traps for this guys dogs. What do you say when people talk of banning guns. I’ts not the guns fault, it’s the people with the guns. Well it’s the same thing here. Bad behavior by this guy is not the dogs fault. They are just doing what they are bred to do. Just like a good bird dog, a good coon dog is a very valuble, and hurting them, only exposes you to legal problems. If you do something to injure or kill these dogs remember this. You are not the Local, who’s side are the local sherrif, and local warden going to take. I am not saying this guy is in the right, Just trying to show the other side. Best of luck, I hope things turn out for you.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

He told the guy he didn’t want him in there, if they find him there they should call the sheriff’s department. I just found the website for the Winnebago County Forrest Preserve. It states no hunting is permitted and pets must be accompanied and leashed at all times. So he should also inform the preserve about this guy violating their rules also

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

He told the guy he didn’t want him in there, if they find him there they should call the sheriff’s department. I just found the website for the Winnebago County Forrest Preserve. It states no hunting is permitted and pets must be accompanied and leashed at all times. So he should also inform the preserve about this guy violating their rules also

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

I think some of you are missing the point here, it does not matter what anyone thinks about coon dogs in deer woods whether it disturbs the deer or not. The fact is that this is private property and these two guys bought it for deer hunting period, if the owners do not want this guy and his dogs on there property he will have to find a new place to run his dogs.

Right on Steve! I’m not against coon hunters or coon hunting or even coon dogs…I’m just against hunters that don’t respect other hunters rights or land.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

I think some of you are missing the point here, it does not matter what anyone thinks about coon dogs in deer woods whether it disturbs the deer or not. The fact is that this is private property and these two guys bought it for deer hunting period, if the owners do not want this guy and his dogs on there property he will have to find a new place to run his dogs.

Right on Steve! I’m not against coon hunters or coon hunting or even coon dogs…I’m just against hunters that don’t respect other hunters rights or land.

herefishyfishy
    MN

My thoughts exactly!! Its all about respecting this guys rights to hunt and use his lease as he wants. No coon hunting means no coon hunting simple as that.

herefishyfishy
    MN

My thoughts exactly!! Its all about respecting this guys rights to hunt and use his lease as he wants. No coon hunting means no coon hunting simple as that.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Its all about respecting this guys rights to hunt and use his lease as he wants.

If I understand his first post correctly he and his partner bought the land which would give them way more rights than if just leased the land.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.