Coon hunter in my deer woods

northern illinois

My partner and I just purchased 50 acres of prime deer hunting woods in Northern Illinois. Part of the Suger River bottoms area. This parcel is surrounded on 3 sides by the Winnebago County Forest Preserve and the river on the other. One of the locals runs 5 coon dogs almost every night for training. He tells me that running his dogs thru all these woods; including the forest preserve will not disrupt the deer. Seems to me with bellering dogs and 2 4 wheelers running these woods every other night would surely decrease my odds come deer season. I dont want to be a bad guy but we spent a ton of dough on this land. How could I enforce it if I asked him to stay out. He already said that when he releases the dogs; he has no way to keep them from heading that way. Any advise would be much appreciated———-H

scottsteil
    Central MN

The dogs won’t bother the deer once the rut starts but I can guarantee they chase the deer out of the area when they run those dogs. I would make sure you have him quit running his dogs a couple weeks before you plan to hunt.

scottsteil
    Central MN

The dogs won’t bother the deer once the rut starts but I can guarantee they chase the deer out of the area when they run those dogs. I would make sure you have him quit running his dogs a couple weeks before you plan to hunt.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I would say it’s time for him to train his dogs elsewhere! We had the same problem when we leased some land a couple of years ago. The farmer would let his dogs run and we would have encounters with his dogs running deer on our property when we were out in the woods. We talked with the local DNR and they talked to the farmer. That seemed to take care of the problem as the dogs were tied up after that and we enever saw the dogs running deer again. Hopefully you can find some resolution like that!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I would say it’s time for him to train his dogs elsewhere! We had the same problem when we leased some land a couple of years ago. The farmer would let his dogs run and we would have encounters with his dogs running deer on our property when we were out in the woods. We talked with the local DNR and they talked to the farmer. That seemed to take care of the problem as the dogs were tied up after that and we enever saw the dogs running deer again. Hopefully you can find some resolution like that!

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Afraid he’s pulling one on you. Seen it several times on properties we hunted. Coon season and rabbit season was the end of good deer hunting. I’d get him out of there if at all possible.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Afraid he’s pulling one on you. Seen it several times on properties we hunted. Coon season and rabbit season was the end of good deer hunting. I’d get him out of there if at all possible.

pop

HE CAN BE CITED FOR TRESPASSING ONCE YOU NOTIFY HIM YOU DO NOT WANT HIM ON YOUR PROPERTY. YOU CAN SEND A REGISTERED LETTER AND THAT SHOULD DO IT.

pop

HE CAN BE CITED FOR TRESPASSING ONCE YOU NOTIFY HIM YOU DO NOT WANT HIM ON YOUR PROPERTY. YOU CAN SEND A REGISTERED LETTER AND THAT SHOULD DO IT.

evileye
    Milan Il

We own 60 acres of prime deer habitat in northern il also and it is damm expensive to own not to Mention the cost of food plots, Forget about being a Bad guy and have the Game Warden Arrest him for trespassing, The word will get out fast

evileye
    Milan Il

We own 60 acres of prime deer habitat in northern il also and it is damm expensive to own not to Mention the cost of food plots, Forget about being a Bad guy and have the Game Warden Arrest him for trespassing, The word will get out fast

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I would actually take this further than a game warden. I would contact your county sheriff.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I would actually take this further than a game warden. I would contact your county sheriff.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

Beat me to it!

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

Beat me to it!

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I think I would start out by asking him not to do it anymore. It sounds like you’ve hinted at that and he is trying to tell you that he knows more about deer habits. I would explain it exactly as you did here. We spent a ton of dough and we really need the woods to be left alone when it comes summertime. If he doesn’t respond then I would go to the dnr,sheriff, etc.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I think I would start out by asking him not to do it anymore. It sounds like you’ve hinted at that and he is trying to tell you that he knows more about deer habits. I would explain it exactly as you did here. We spent a ton of dough and we really need the woods to be left alone when it comes summertime. If he doesn’t respond then I would go to the dnr,sheriff, etc.

catmando
    wis

Tell him you have 15 coyote traps out. you sure woudnt’ want to catch one of his hounds.If the guy had any brains he would run his dogs eleswhere. DON’T GET ME WRONG I LIKE DOGS.but you cant infringe on other people’s land period.

catmando
    wis

Tell him you have 15 coyote traps out. you sure woudnt’ want to catch one of his hounds.If the guy had any brains he would run his dogs eleswhere. DON’T GET ME WRONG I LIKE DOGS.but you cant infringe on other people’s land period.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Try the nice approach again and if he still doens’t get it. Tell him that he is ILLEGALLY TRESSPASSING, if he stil doens’t get it. Call the Sherriff .

It is never good to have Pissed off neighbors. but soemtimes there is no getting around it.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Try the nice approach again and if he still doens’t get it. Tell him that he is ILLEGALLY TRESSPASSING, if he stil doens’t get it. Call the Sherriff .

It is never good to have Pissed off neighbors. but soemtimes there is no getting around it.

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

real coon dogs that don’t run deer and rabbits won’t bother the deer, they’ll scatter but they will be back in no time, id worry more about the 4 wheelers. Tell him no atv’s allowed period, but i’d think hard about it before saying him and his dogs aren’t welcome at all.

If i were you id get him to take u along this fall, coon hunting with a few good dogs is a blast. Make sure you have one of the long bazooka beer coolers that hold like six cans slung over your back

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

real coon dogs that don’t run deer and rabbits won’t bother the deer, they’ll scatter but they will be back in no time, id worry more about the 4 wheelers. Tell him no atv’s allowed period, but i’d think hard about it before saying him and his dogs aren’t welcome at all.

If i were you id get him to take u along this fall, coon hunting with a few good dogs is a blast. Make sure you have one of the long bazooka beer coolers that hold like six cans slung over your back

shayla

Quote:

If that doesn’t work I would seriously consider the 3 S’s…Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up. If he prides himself on his dogs he will find a way to keep them off your property!

shayla

Quote:

If that doesn’t work I would seriously consider the 3 S’s…Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up. If he prides himself on his dogs he will find a way to keep them off your property!

catmando
    wis

My fist post was pretty much tounge in cheek. talk to him man to man about not tresspassing. its your land.ATVS, shooting at night, hounds barking does anybody not think that would scatter a mature whitetail buck. DK

catmando
    wis

My fist post was pretty much tounge in cheek. talk to him man to man about not tresspassing. its your land.ATVS, shooting at night, hounds barking does anybody not think that would scatter a mature whitetail buck. DK

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

I agree with rob i would tell him politley but very to the point that you do not want him in there. also let him no of your intentions to prosecut if caught. that way there is no misunderstanding down the road. as far as his comment about he has no controll over his dogs and where they go , sounds to me like he is already laying his ground work for a excuse to be there and go about his normal routine of going where he wants. if he had any courtesy as a neighbor he would not be upset at all about your request, he has no right there …..you do bottom line.

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

I agree with rob i would tell him politley but very to the point that you do not want him in there. also let him no of your intentions to prosecut if caught. that way there is no misunderstanding down the road. as far as his comment about he has no controll over his dogs and where they go , sounds to me like he is already laying his ground work for a excuse to be there and go about his normal routine of going where he wants. if he had any courtesy as a neighbor he would not be upset at all about your request, he has no right there …..you do bottom line.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Hatchet Man,
    If I were you, I wouldn’t want him in my woods either. Regardless of whether his 4 wheelers or dogs scare the deer. Did he ask you if he could run his dogs on your property? Does he own property that you could hunt? My guess is the answer is probably NO to both. I also agree with many others here in telling him directly to stay out before going to the Sheriff. Good luck.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.