the right bow

• sledhead
    MN Rosemount

my younger brother just got his first bow and shoots everyday and is pushing me real hard to get into it to i have really only shot about 30 arrows in my life and lately i have been shooting my fathers bow from the 70s or somthing and would like to get my own i have a price range of about $600 -$700 and everyone i have talked to really feels to me are just showing me the ones they like so what are you trying to look at in picking out the right bow for yourself

bthess
    Manly, IA

IMO the first and foremost thing to do in getting a bow is buying a bow that fits you to a T!! Currently Matthews and Hoyt offer bows that are draw length specific which can make it hard in buying your first bow. The second is how the bow reacts in YOUR hand after the shot as some will kick almost like a shotgun and others will sit there or slightly move towards the target (This is ideal). PM me if you have any other questions as I love archery both hunting and competitively. Straight Shootin

bthess
    Manly, IA

IMO the first and foremost thing to do in getting a bow is buying a bow that fits you to a T!! Currently Matthews and Hoyt offer bows that are draw length specific which can make it hard in buying your first bow. The second is how the bow reacts in YOUR hand after the shot as some will kick almost like a shotgun and others will sit there or slightly move towards the target (This is ideal). PM me if you have any other questions as I love archery both hunting and competitively. Straight Shootin

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Hey Sledhead, I would recommend going to a proshop and try out a few and see what you like the best. They should have several bows that you can shoot right there. There is a good shop in Burnsville, it is called Schaeffer Archery. I bought my bow there and have been pretty happy. Good luck with your search.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Hey Sledhead, I would recommend going to a proshop and try out a few and see what you like the best. They should have several bows that you can shoot right there. There is a good shop in Burnsville, it is called Schaeffer Archery. I bought my bow there and have been pretty happy. Good luck with your search.

snowkid07
    Duluth,MN

Try out the new bowtech bows. I got a bowtech tomkat about 3 years ago and absolutly love it! they run about $550 I believe.

snowkid07
    Duluth,MN

Try out the new bowtech bows. I got a bowtech tomkat about 3 years ago and absolutly love it! they run about $550 I believe.

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

comfortable, Quiet,decent brace hieghth , that is the distance between the string and the back of the riser. It has alot to do withthe speed of a bow, Also has alot to do with how forgiving the bow will be bigger the brace height the more forgiving the smaller it is the faster the bow will be. I would not sacrifice accurcy for speed there are alot of bows that are a happy medium i would stay in them lines. Iwould go to a proshop they will get u going in the right direction.just remember bows have came along ways the past 10years they are all pretty decent anymore and for hunting will do the trick , its a matter of finding one you are confortable with. then practice practice! practice !

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

comfortable, Quiet,decent brace hieghth , that is the distance between the string and the back of the riser. It has alot to do withthe speed of a bow, Also has alot to do with how forgiving the bow will be bigger the brace height the more forgiving the smaller it is the faster the bow will be. I would not sacrifice accurcy for speed there are alot of bows that are a happy medium i would stay in them lines. Iwould go to a proshop they will get u going in the right direction.just remember bows have came along ways the past 10years they are all pretty decent anymore and for hunting will do the trick , its a matter of finding one you are confortable with. then practice practice! practice !

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

IMO, i would not get a bow that is over $500 for your first bow. I bought a PSE Nova arson cam from cabelas about 7 years ago for my first bow and i killed deer with it, not the greatest bow, but it did the job. The more you get into archery hunting, the more knowledge you get about bows from reading reviews and talking to people, the more interest you gain in the sport, etc, you will find that making an investment into a “high end” bow would not be a bad idea. Bow hunting is not necessarily for everyone, some people are better at gun hunting and some are not. Once you shoot your first deer with a bow, you will realize that it is an addictive sport, hobby or whatever you want to call it You will almost want to drop your rifle or shotgun to pursuit archery hunting. That’s when you might want to think about buying a pricey bow and use it for years!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

IMO, i would not get a bow that is over $500 for your first bow. I bought a PSE Nova arson cam from cabelas about 7 years ago for my first bow and i killed deer with it, not the greatest bow, but it did the job. The more you get into archery hunting, the more knowledge you get about bows from reading reviews and talking to people, the more interest you gain in the sport, etc, you will find that making an investment into a “high end” bow would not be a bad idea. Bow hunting is not necessarily for everyone, some people are better at gun hunting and some are not. Once you shoot your first deer with a bow, you will realize that it is an addictive sport, hobby or whatever you want to call it You will almost want to drop your rifle or shotgun to pursuit archery hunting. That’s when you might want to think about buying a pricey bow and use it for years!

sledhead
    MN Rosemount

Quote:

i would not get a bow that is over $500 for your first bow

ya thats what i was thinking most places that i have talked to are trying to sell me these bows that start at over $1000 and i am a big gun hunter if you will last year and this year i hunting 3 states SD, MN, WI, but everyone keeps telling me that i will fall in love and drop my rifle but i would like to try bow hunting this year and hopefully be at an happy medium and do both so i really do want to go out and max out the plastic for bow hunting if ya get what im saying

thanks guys for all the input
    as for pro shops i have been to shaffers and gander any other places in the twin cities

sledhead
    MN Rosemount

Quote:

i would not get a bow that is over $500 for your first bow

ya thats what i was thinking most places that i have talked to are trying to sell me these bows that start at over $1000 and i am a big gun hunter if you will last year and this year i hunting 3 states SD, MN, WI, but everyone keeps telling me that i will fall in love and drop my rifle but i would like to try bow hunting this year and hopefully be at an happy medium and do both so i really do want to go out and max out the plastic for bow hunting if ya get what im saying

thanks guys for all the input
    as for pro shops i have been to shaffers and gander any other places in the twin cities

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

i would recommend to NOT go to gander, [censored], joes, or any big store like that, except like bass pro and cabelas. These stores hire people more or less to fill the position. Yes they do hire them based on knowledge, but NOTHING compares to archery shops. I would HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend A1 archery and Taxidermy in Hudson!!!!!!!!! They have a fabulous staff that know everything and anything about bows, arrows, sights, rests, etc. They have bows set up there from trade ins or to get someone like yourself a new or used bow for cheap. PM me if you have any questions about their store!! but if i were you, i wouldn’t go anywhere else but there, IMO of course

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

i would recommend to NOT go to gander, [censored], joes, or any big store like that, except like bass pro and cabelas. These stores hire people more or less to fill the position. Yes they do hire them based on knowledge, but NOTHING compares to archery shops. I would HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend A1 archery and Taxidermy in Hudson!!!!!!!!! They have a fabulous staff that know everything and anything about bows, arrows, sights, rests, etc. They have bows set up there from trade ins or to get someone like yourself a new or used bow for cheap. PM me if you have any questions about their store!! but if i were you, i wouldn’t go anywhere else but there, IMO of course

sledhead
    MN Rosemount

Quote:

These stores hire people more or less to fill the position.

you have a point there i never thought of until now thanks

sledhead
    MN Rosemount

Quote:

These stores hire people more or less to fill the position.

you have a point there i never thought of until now thanks

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.