Is Scent Blocker a crock?

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya Nice buck Wats

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

As I have said already BEAUTY BUCK WATS

Quote:

Lip-The thing you have that is the most important element is CONFIDENCE.

I agree Wats confidence is big, but confidence does not make meany less STINKY

Quote:

A person doesn’t need all the fancy cloths and equipment to kill deer.

Your 100% right Wats. To me wearing Scent Blocker is not about that I can’t kill Deer or big Deer with out it. Heck, I’m sure we all have killed deer without Carbon Clothes. For me, wearing carbon clothes increases my odds of not only harvesting a deer, but this is the main part that is often overlooked. It increases my odds of not letting the Deer know that I was hanging out in their Kitchen or backyard so to speak. This allows me to hunt this spot again without burning it out. Sure you can hunt a post day after day after day and always see deer. But your best chance at a mature Whitetail is the very first time you hunt a spot. That is a statement I think you will hear from carbon clothes wearerer and non carbon believers. So, if I can leave very minimal scent at my stand location, while I’m in it and long after I’m gone. Less chances of spooking Mr.Big when he walks through now or later that day.

Quote:

Location and observation had more to do with the kill than the clothes I was wearing.

Absolutley Correct. If you do not observe deer and put your self in a good location, it make sit tough to harvest any animal.

As I have said, Carbon Clothes are not for everyone, but if used correctly it will increase your odds.

Side Note: So this brings me up to something I seen last night on TV. I was watching Drury Outdoors who is a a very big Scent Blocker Partner. I was watching one of their (Drury’s) longtime Staffers getting ready to hit their stand. he was getting his camo on and they were filming. Here is the part many fail. He was getting his camo on and was at the truck, with the truck doors open and laying his Carbon camo on the interior of the Truck. That is a BIG NO NO in my Book. Being close to the truck is borderline depending on Wind. But taking your camo out and laying it in the truck is definitely not the thing to do. If you watch those guys (The Drury Team) closely in their show. They constantly break Carbon Clothing Rules (ie. No Face Mask, No Gloves, getting dressed at/inside the truck, wearing their clothes around after the hunt. etc. ) Don’t get me wrong I “ABSOLOUTLEY LOVE” their WildLife Obsession Show and The Biologic Tips are awesome. They used to be small time film production guys and they put their time in and deserve everyhting they got. These are just things I notice that the “Pros” do wrong when wearing this Carbon Clothing (Mark & Terry included) and we do not even get to see have of the preparation needed for this carbon clothing.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

As I have said already BEAUTY BUCK WATS

Quote:

Lip-The thing you have that is the most important element is CONFIDENCE.

I agree Wats confidence is big, but confidence does not make meany less STINKY

Quote:

A person doesn’t need all the fancy cloths and equipment to kill deer.

Your 100% right Wats. To me wearing Scent Blocker is not about that I can’t kill Deer or big Deer with out it. Heck, I’m sure we all have killed deer without Carbon Clothes. For me, wearing carbon clothes increases my odds of not only harvesting a deer, but this is the main part that is often overlooked. It increases my odds of not letting the Deer know that I was hanging out in their Kitchen or backyard so to speak. This allows me to hunt this spot again without burning it out. Sure you can hunt a post day after day after day and always see deer. But your best chance at a mature Whitetail is the very first time you hunt a spot. That is a statement I think you will hear from carbon clothes wearerer and non carbon believers. So, if I can leave very minimal scent at my stand location, while I’m in it and long after I’m gone. Less chances of spooking Mr.Big when he walks through now or later that day.

Quote:

Location and observation had more to do with the kill than the clothes I was wearing.

Absolutley Correct. If you do not observe deer and put your self in a good location, it make sit tough to harvest any animal.

As I have said, Carbon Clothes are not for everyone, but if used correctly it will increase your odds.

Side Note: So this brings me up to something I seen last night on TV. I was watching Drury Outdoors who is a a very big Scent Blocker Partner. I was watching one of their (Drury’s) longtime Staffers getting ready to hit their stand. he was getting his camo on and they were filming. Here is the part many fail. He was getting his camo on and was at the truck, with the truck doors open and laying his Carbon camo on the interior of the Truck. That is a BIG NO NO in my Book. Being close to the truck is borderline depending on Wind. But taking your camo out and laying it in the truck is definitely not the thing to do. If you watch those guys (The Drury Team) closely in their show. They constantly break Carbon Clothing Rules (ie. No Face Mask, No Gloves, getting dressed at/inside the truck, wearing their clothes around after the hunt. etc. ) Don’t get me wrong I “ABSOLOUTLEY LOVE” their WildLife Obsession Show and The Biologic Tips are awesome. They used to be small time film production guys and they put their time in and deserve everyhting they got. These are just things I notice that the “Pros” do wrong when wearing this Carbon Clothing (Mark & Terry included) and we do not even get to see have of the preparation needed for this carbon clothing.

col._klink
    St Paul

Quote:

Kinda like me and my leather pants with the cut out; makes me feel sexy and that all the woman will want me! But hey, I feel confident even though you may think it’s “crock”.

Just read this thread and I cant get this out of my head I was laughing so hard!

YUCKY ISHY POO!!!

Also just got to put my 2 cents in.

I think Scent Locker is a crock as well. Never used the stuff and will never buy the stuff. To get a full set up would cost as much as 1 house payment. Not worth it in my book.

I agree 100% with Wats if Mr. Big walks by me I will kill him just the same as if a big doe walks by. Racks dont mean to much to me. I am one of those guys that kills 5 or 6 deer every year. My dad and I then make our own mix of sasuage, hamburger, steaks, roasts, jerky and whatever else or tummy are in the mood for. Plus it sure saves a bit on the meat bill throughout the year.

I wish I guy would have to kill a doe before a buck anyways. Nothing anyone could say to me will change how I feel about deer hunting and the harvesting……….

col._klink
    St Paul

Quote:

Kinda like me and my leather pants with the cut out; makes me feel sexy and that all the woman will want me! But hey, I feel confident even though you may think it’s “crock”.

Just read this thread and I cant get this out of my head I was laughing so hard!

YUCKY ISHY POO!!!

Also just got to put my 2 cents in.

I think Scent Locker is a crock as well. Never used the stuff and will never buy the stuff. To get a full set up would cost as much as 1 house payment. Not worth it in my book.

I agree 100% with Wats if Mr. Big walks by me I will kill him just the same as if a big doe walks by. Racks dont mean to much to me. I am one of those guys that kills 5 or 6 deer every year. My dad and I then make our own mix of sasuage, hamburger, steaks, roasts, jerky and whatever else or tummy are in the mood for. Plus it sure saves a bit on the meat bill throughout the year.

I wish I guy would have to kill a doe before a buck anyways. Nothing anyone could say to me will change how I feel about deer hunting and the harvesting……….

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Top and Bottom $150

Gloves $29

Face Mask $29

Equals $208

Who is your Mortgage Guy?? If I could have a $208 House Payment I would have lots of money.

Not worth it to you, thats fine Clink, I can understand and respect that. As I have said it is not for everyone.

However, what I don’t understand is: So it’s a crock for everyone else then? Without even having any experience with it, you can say it’s a crock and it does not work???

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Top and Bottom $150

Gloves $29

Face Mask $29

Equals $208

Who is your Mortgage Guy?? If I could have a $208 House Payment I would have lots of money.

Not worth it to you, thats fine Clink, I can understand and respect that. As I have said it is not for everyone.

However, what I don’t understand is: So it’s a crock for everyone else then? Without even having any experience with it, you can say it’s a crock and it does not work???

big_g
    Isle, MN

I feel confident in saying, for Scent control clothing, you have to utilize it correctly. I admit, I am lazy when it comes to scent control. I have the clothing, but know I do not utilize it 100% correctly. I also am smart enough, not to say it doesn’t work, with nothing to back up the statement. If it were easy to get trophy deer, everybody would have a wall full. There is a reason these bucks get as big as they do. If people are meat hunting only, then they would be shooting big bucks as commonly as Does. It doesn’t happen though. Good luck to all.

I know what I type here, will not change anybodys mind and really don’t care. It is just about sharing information and experiences. If what I type here helps someone, great.

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

I feel confident in saying, for Scent control clothing, you have to utilize it correctly. I admit, I am lazy when it comes to scent control. I have the clothing, but know I do not utilize it 100% correctly. I also am smart enough, not to say it doesn’t work, with nothing to back up the statement. If it were easy to get trophy deer, everybody would have a wall full. There is a reason these bucks get as big as they do. If people are meat hunting only, then they would be shooting big bucks as commonly as Does. It doesn’t happen though. Good luck to all.

I know what I type here, will not change anybodys mind and really don’t care. It is just about sharing information and experiences. If what I type here helps someone, great.

big g

col._klink
    St Paul

Quote:

Quote:

Top and Bottom $150
    Gloves $29
    Face Mask $29

Equals $208

Gary Wellman…………no I was just being a little over the edge. But the prices I have seen are a little more than what you have quoted. More like $200 for a top and bottom from what I have seen @ Gander for the name brand stuff.

My whole thought is this Lip;

Guys that hunt are guys. We fart and burp. And we fart and brup in our treestands. Some of us eat salsa on or eggs before we head off into the woods. And some of us hunt mainly on the weekends. On a friday night after work I like to have a couple ice cold grainbelts and a couple bumps with the old man on his farm.

I just cant buy into the fact that a suit made out of a little charcoal is going to stop mother nature…………………….

Thats all. I dont buy it. Dont believe it. Therefore to me its a crock. And I will continue to wear the same stuff that was handed down to me from my dad.

Maybe I am a different type of bow hunter. All my stands are hand made. I shoot a re curve. I hunt on the ground ALOT (You want a challenge . All this hi tech garbage takes away from the sport. Range finders, laser sights, scent lock……………the list goes on and on.

What ever happened to a guy who want to hunt for the hunt?

As nuts as Ted Barta is that guy as my utmost respect for the way he hunts.

col._klink
    St Paul

Quote:

Quote:

Top and Bottom $150
    Gloves $29
    Face Mask $29

Equals $208

Gary Wellman…………no I was just being a little over the edge. But the prices I have seen are a little more than what you have quoted. More like $200 for a top and bottom from what I have seen @ Gander for the name brand stuff.

My whole thought is this Lip;

Guys that hunt are guys. We fart and burp. And we fart and brup in our treestands. Some of us eat salsa on or eggs before we head off into the woods. And some of us hunt mainly on the weekends. On a friday night after work I like to have a couple ice cold grainbelts and a couple bumps with the old man on his farm.

I just cant buy into the fact that a suit made out of a little charcoal is going to stop mother nature…………………….

Thats all. I dont buy it. Dont believe it. Therefore to me its a crock. And I will continue to wear the same stuff that was handed down to me from my dad.

Maybe I am a different type of bow hunter. All my stands are hand made. I shoot a re curve. I hunt on the ground ALOT (You want a challenge . All this hi tech garbage takes away from the sport. Range finders, laser sights, scent lock……………the list goes on and on.

As nuts as Ted Barta is that guy as my utmost respect for the way he hunts.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Quote:

Yeah, yeah, we get it you don’t like any new technology. Some of us take bowhunting seriously and like to use technology to improve our odds. Researching and trying new equipment is a fun thing to do during the off season. Does it make me less of a hunter because I use a compound bow with fiber optic sights? Good for you for using a recurve, it works for you. I guess if you don’t use a recurve though then you are not “hunting for the hunt”. Like G said, I am here to learn and not to stir the pot. How did this thread go from ScentBlocker to new technology anyway.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Quote:

Yeah, yeah, we get it you don’t like any new technology. Some of us take bowhunting seriously and like to use technology to improve our odds. Researching and trying new equipment is a fun thing to do during the off season. Does it make me less of a hunter because I use a compound bow with fiber optic sights? Good for you for using a recurve, it works for you. I guess if you don’t use a recurve though then you are not “hunting for the hunt”. Like G said, I am here to learn and not to stir the pot. How did this thread go from ScentBlocker to new technology anyway.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

What I don’t understand is why do people when they post use words like: BS, garbage, load of crap, crock, etc,? Those words just provoke others to take offense. Or is the whole purpose (for some posters) to take a shot at somebody? It is possible to disagree and not come across as an ornery cuss.

dd

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

What I don’t understand is why do people when they post use words like: BS, garbage, load of crap, crock, etc,? Those words just provoke others to take offense. Or is the whole purpose (for some posters) to take a shot at somebody? It is possible to disagree and not come across as an ornery cuss.

dd

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

One thing I find rather humorous about the whole scent blocker concept is the guys who buy scentblocker garments but then:

– smoke in them
    – pump gas in them/walk in their “scent free” rubber boots at a gas station
    – drink coffee in them/spill coffee on them
    – eat breakfast in a greasy spoon diner in them and walk out reeking of bacon grease/cooking oil

You forgot to mention Breath. Until you can stop breathing you will never eliminate your scent. I know I bring this up every year but it is fact. A deer will smell your breath (because you exhale Carbon Dioxide that is hummidified) long before they smell your body oders.

Anything you can do to eliminate scent helps, I agree with that. You will never beat the wind though. Play the wind in your favor, wear whatever you have confidence in(I don’t use carbon suits) sit still and breath slowly.

You can chew the gum that doesn’t work, on a Pine Branch or fill your mouth with baking soda, it is not going to fool a deer, a mosquito or a bee.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

One thing I find rather humorous about the whole scent blocker concept is the guys who buy scentblocker garments but then:

– smoke in them
    – pump gas in them/walk in their “scent free” rubber boots at a gas station
    – drink coffee in them/spill coffee on them
    – eat breakfast in a greasy spoon diner in them and walk out reeking of bacon grease/cooking oil

You forgot to mention Breath. Until you can stop breathing you will never eliminate your scent. I know I bring this up every year but it is fact. A deer will smell your breath (because you exhale Carbon Dioxide that is hummidified) long before they smell your body oders.

Anything you can do to eliminate scent helps, I agree with that. You will never beat the wind though. Play the wind in your favor, wear whatever you have confidence in(I don’t use carbon suits) sit still and breath slowly.

You can chew the gum that doesn’t work, on a Pine Branch or fill your mouth with baking soda, it is not going to fool a deer, a mosquito or a bee.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Do you guys realize that you just spend four pages of posts talking about pants and shirts. You guys sound like a bunch of 16 year old cheerleaders fighting at the GAP for a new pair of pre-ripped jeans!

Does it work? Who knows/who cares. I have not seen or read any indisputable evidence either way. There are always too many other variables unless you are in a controlled environment of a labratory setting. I am now dumber for reading this post.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Do you guys realize that you just spend four pages of posts talking about pants and shirts. You guys sound like a bunch of 16 year old cheerleaders fighting at the GAP for a new pair of pre-ripped jeans!

Does it work? Who knows/who cares. I have not seen or read any indisputable evidence either way. There are always too many other variables unless you are in a controlled environment of a labratory setting. I am now dumber for reading this post.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Welcome to the obsession of hunting !!!!

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Welcome to the obsession of hunting !!!!

big g

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Quote:

First of all, I was never a CHEERLEADER! I was in DANCELINE! And I never bought the pre ripped, I liked to rip them myself! So there!

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Quote:

First of all, I was never a CHEERLEADER! I was in DANCELINE! And I never bought the pre ripped, I liked to rip them myself! So there!

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Maybe I can boil the debate down to this: Can you minimize your smell to the point it may not be alarming to a deer? I’m thinking you can. We all got noses and can smell, some better than others. And right now I need a shower and I’m chewing tobacco. I stink!

If I went through all the things some bowhunters do to eliminate the current stink I got going I think we could all agree that I would go from obviously stinky to possibly no smell at all for a human nose. So for a deer wouldn’t I go from alarmingly stinky to possibly faintly unsettling? Maybe even no big deal faint human smell? Think about it!

dd

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Maybe I can boil the debate down to this: Can you minimize your smell to the point it may not be alarming to a deer? I’m thinking you can. We all got noses and can smell, some better than others. And right now I need a shower and I’m chewing tobacco. I stink!

If I went through all the things some bowhunters do to eliminate the current stink I got going I think we could all agree that I would go from obviously stinky to possibly no smell at all for a human nose. So for a deer wouldn’t I go from alarmingly stinky to possibly faintly unsettling? Maybe even no big deal faint human smell? Think about it!

dd

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

I am now dumber for reading this post.

I have been through this one every year, I have learned not to read the actual post. I prefer to just post pointless facts.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

I am now dumber for reading this post.

I have been through this one every year, I have learned not to read the actual post. I prefer to just post pointless facts.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Ok Scott I’ll take the route everyone else is.

Evinrude Sucks they are a piece of Junk.

How do I know this??? I’m not sure, I never used one. But it is different from the old 2 stroke motor therefore it is a crock. I have no idea what I’m talking about but Evindrudes are a crock and all should believe me.

If you don’t believe me, just ask The Mercury or Yamaha Engineer (ie THE CHEMIST)

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 179 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.