Is Scent Blocker a crock?

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

After hunting with and without the suits, I don’t feel they are really needed. Showering with any odor “eliminating” soap, hunting with clean clothes washed in non-deodarant soap, and watching the wind will be just as effective, and cheaper, than buying a suit.
    If these suits are designed to keep inside smells from getting out, why is it when I pass gas in the suit, it still smells rotten ?

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

well I’ll buy him one then because I think he’s right. Carbon is a joke and for every fact supporting it you can find one to denote it as well.

I think the main point here is what ever gives you confidence go with it!!

I also know of a great clothing company that had the opportunity to use carbon in their garments and chose not to.

I consider myself a scent junky with my clothing and pre-hunt routine and stand placement. it’s all in what your thoughts are, its a personal sport with many options to chose from.

Good luck to all this year as well

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

well I’ll buy him one then because I think he’s right. Carbon is a joke and for every fact supporting it you can find one to denote it as well.

I think the main point here is what ever gives you confidence go with it!!

I also know of a great clothing company that had the opportunity to use carbon in their garments and chose not to.

I consider myself a scent junky with my clothing and pre-hunt routine and stand placement. it’s all in what your thoughts are, its a personal sport with many options to chose from.

Good luck to all this year as well

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

I know its ScentBlocker, I don’t think you should display it if in your opening question you say its a load of crap!!

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

I know its ScentBlocker, I don’t think you should display it if in your opening question you say its a load of crap!!

birddog
    Mn.

I’m relaxed, laid back, it’s my nature. As far as my “enough said” comment, it was purely for Rob and the thread it seems he can’t let of.

BIRDDOG

birddog
    Mn.

I’m relaxed, laid back, it’s my nature. As far as my “enough said” comment, it was purely for Rob and the thread it seems he can’t let of.

BIRDDOG

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

i am not a bow hunter, I am a rifle hunter, I can go out and sit in my stand in my greasy oiley coveralls from the farm and see deer all day long, I then can go out in my orange which does not get washed in all of that stuff, it doesn’t even get washed unless covered in blood, I toss it in my old hockey bag, drive with it in the cab, put it in my room at the farm, put it on the next morning and still see deer, no matter which way the wind is blowing. it is a gimic or a ploy to get you to spend top $$$$ to look like you know what you are doing. because the pros wear it, they get paid to get you to buy it and they get theirs for free. I know it might work for some, but just goes to show how gullable some people are.

shane

Your first sentence pretty much sums up your entire paragraph. By no means throwing a low blow or anything just the fact there is no way to compare going out into your stand on opening weekend when deer are running for there damn lives from bullets flying everywhere and taking a shot at 100 yds or 250yds depending on your weapon of choice compared to a deer in its element in late october calm and all of it sences at 100%. Trying to get a deer to present you with a shot at 20 or 30 yds in your greasy clothes downwind and seeing tons of deer would take a lot of luck at times. Not saying it can not be done but when your trying to draw deer into these close ranges and still have to draw back, line up the shot, wait for the angle and make the proper judgment while shaking like a little kid and make the shot than I along with a lot of others will take every advantage thrown at us. That being said I do not own scent lock suites but I wear the cabelas scent lok style under shirt and pants along with a scent lock hat and gloves as well. I shower in the scent free shampoo, soap and deorderant and feel it can not hurt anything or make anything worse can it? Clothing wise i have a set aside goup of camo/blaze orange with a few sweathers,sweatshirts ect as well that also get washed in the scent free wash and stored in large vaccumm seal bags with dirt wafers year around to help keep as much human odor off my clothes. Once again though I will not call myself a “pro” bow hunter but spend enough time in the tree to know right and wrong and learn from mistakes and without a doubt will tell you that you get a deer downwind in Sept. -Dec. 30 yds has a nose that can pick any little mistake whether wearing a sweatshirt underneath that you put fu fu juice on last friday to go to the bar or wore your jacket into the bar when you swung in to check out your buddies big buck he shot that night and wore it back out the next morning to the stand. Your always going to hear the “work clothes” downwind theory cause it DOES happen but I will play it safe instead of sorry when you get locked down on by a big buck or just a doe down wind of ya. Once again no low blows intended on anyone but just saying there will always be the “work clothes” theory. Just my .02 on the opinion page we got going here

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

i am not a bow hunter, I am a rifle hunter, I can go out and sit in my stand in my greasy oiley coveralls from the farm and see deer all day long, I then can go out in my orange which does not get washed in all of that stuff, it doesn’t even get washed unless covered in blood, I toss it in my old hockey bag, drive with it in the cab, put it in my room at the farm, put it on the next morning and still see deer, no matter which way the wind is blowing. it is a gimic or a ploy to get you to spend top $$$$ to look like you know what you are doing. because the pros wear it, they get paid to get you to buy it and they get theirs for free. I know it might work for some, but just goes to show how gullable some people are.

shane

Your first sentence pretty much sums up your entire paragraph. By no means throwing a low blow or anything just the fact there is no way to compare going out into your stand on opening weekend when deer are running for there damn lives from bullets flying everywhere and taking a shot at 100 yds or 250yds depending on your weapon of choice compared to a deer in its element in late october calm and all of it sences at 100%. Trying to get a deer to present you with a shot at 20 or 30 yds in your greasy clothes downwind and seeing tons of deer would take a lot of luck at times. Not saying it can not be done but when your trying to draw deer into these close ranges and still have to draw back, line up the shot, wait for the angle and make the proper judgment while shaking like a little kid and make the shot than I along with a lot of others will take every advantage thrown at us. That being said I do not own scent lock suites but I wear the cabelas scent lok style under shirt and pants along with a scent lock hat and gloves as well. I shower in the scent free shampoo, soap and deorderant and feel it can not hurt anything or make anything worse can it? Clothing wise i have a set aside goup of camo/blaze orange with a few sweathers,sweatshirts ect as well that also get washed in the scent free wash and stored in large vaccumm seal bags with dirt wafers year around to help keep as much human odor off my clothes. Once again though I will not call myself a “pro” bow hunter but spend enough time in the tree to know right and wrong and learn from mistakes and without a doubt will tell you that you get a deer downwind in Sept. -Dec. 30 yds has a nose that can pick any little mistake whether wearing a sweatshirt underneath that you put fu fu juice on last friday to go to the bar or wore your jacket into the bar when you swung in to check out your buddies big buck he shot that night and wore it back out the next morning to the stand. Your always going to hear the “work clothes” downwind theory cause it DOES happen but I will play it safe instead of sorry when you get locked down on by a big buck or just a doe down wind of ya. Once again no low blows intended on anyone but just saying there will always be the “work clothes” theory. Just my .02 on the opinion page we got going here

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

The one thing all of us deer hunters have in common is trying to fool Ole Buckys nose. Sprays/ wafers/ soaps/ clothing etc all help. But still the bottom line is they cannot be downwind. I know I have a couple friends that swear by the carbon clothing and maybe I should be listening because the ones wall would make most of us jealous

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

The one thing all of us deer hunters have in common is trying to fool Ole Buckys nose. Sprays/ wafers/ soaps/ clothing etc all help. But still the bottom line is they cannot be downwind. I know I have a couple friends that swear by the carbon clothing and maybe I should be listening because the ones wall would make most of us jealous

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

BIRDDOG

It came across to me as just a reference as to the style of thread these kinds of debates can cause could have been any other big thread from the past besides that one but that is probably the freshest one in the back of his mind and he is not alone on it either.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

BIRDDOG

It came across to me as just a reference as to the style of thread these kinds of debates can cause could have been any other big thread from the past besides that one but that is probably the freshest one in the back of his mind and he is not alone on it either.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

it was purely for Rob and the thread it seems he can’t let of.

Which one is that Bird Dog??

Quote:

But still the bottom line is they cannot be downwind.

Says WHO??? Someone did not tell the 176″ buck on my Wall that was 15″ yards away or the hundreds of other deer I have had down wind of me with down thermals and had no clue I was there???

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

it was purely for Rob and the thread it seems he can’t let of.

Which one is that Bird Dog??

Quote:

But still the bottom line is they cannot be downwind.

Says WHO??? Someone did not tell the 176″ buck on my Wall that was 15″ yards away or the hundreds of other deer I have had down wind of me with down thermals and had no clue I was there???

schrumy
    Clearwater MN

Okay G that was funny ” almost skinny”
    I with Lip and G on this one, I won’t give up my scent suits if it increases my odds at all. There is NO bigger rush than having a deer rubbing against a tree your in or have then bed down within spitting range. It’ a small price to pay in my book!!! but to each there own, wear what you want. MORE BIGGIN’S FOR ME

Quote:

Amen & Good luck !!! I too look good in my Scent Blocker, almost skinny !!! Now that’s a marketing scheme !!!

big g

schrumy
    Clearwater MN

Okay G that was funny ” almost skinny”
    I with Lip and G on this one, I won’t give up my scent suits if it increases my odds at all. There is NO bigger rush than having a deer rubbing against a tree your in or have then bed down within spitting range. It’ a small price to pay in my book!!! but to each there own, wear what you want. MORE BIGGIN’S FOR ME

Quote:

Amen & Good luck !!! I too look good in my Scent Blocker, almost skinny !!! Now that’s a marketing scheme !!!

big g

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Lip-The thing you have that is the most important element is CONFIDENCE. It is not entirely the material in the suit. You also are very diligent in keeping as scent free as humanly possible before the hunt even begins.

Erick- All of my gun deer kills have been under 40 yards with most in the 20 yard range. The key in almost all of these shots were being either downwind or in a crosswind. I could have taken every one of my gun deer with a bow.

People give these deer too much credit, IMO. I have had deer standing so close I could have reached out and pulled a hair off their chin. I have had young bucks walk up withing a few feet of me all while wearing ORANGE.
    Deer are not some mystical creature that are so tough to hunt and kill. Your actions dictate their actions. Sure you have your occassional deer that is freaked out by its own shadow, but most are not that spooky.
    A person doesn’t need all the fancy cloths and equipment to kill deer. Time, patience, and knowing their patterns are all that is truely needed. Some people THINK they need all the latest and greatest gadgets to be successful, but in reality it just makes people “look the part”

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Lip-The thing you have that is the most important element is CONFIDENCE. It is not entirely the material in the suit. You also are very diligent in keeping as scent free as humanly possible before the hunt even begins.

Erick- All of my gun deer kills have been under 40 yards with most in the 20 yard range. The key in almost all of these shots were being either downwind or in a crosswind. I could have taken every one of my gun deer with a bow.

People give these deer too much credit, IMO. I have had deer standing so close I could have reached out and pulled a hair off their chin. I have had young bucks walk up withing a few feet of me all while wearing ORANGE.
    Deer are not some mystical creature that are so tough to hunt and kill. Your actions dictate their actions. Sure you have your occassional deer that is freaked out by its own shadow, but most are not that spooky.
    A person doesn’t need all the fancy cloths and equipment to kill deer. Time, patience, and knowing their patterns are all that is truely needed. Some people THINK they need all the latest and greatest gadgets to be successful, but in reality it just makes people “look the part”

shayla

Hell YES it’s a crock! If it worked like they say then NO deer would be able to smell you, period. Well, we all know they can so obviously the product doesn’t do what it’s intended to do. Another thing, they claim that it’s the carbon fibers that trap your scent, right? Well, then why not go to an Army surplus store and buy used MOP suits? The very same carbon fibers that supposedly trap scent are used to keep our soldiers safe from chemical gas attacks. I think you can pick em up for about $10….oh, and they come in hunter-friendly olive green! In the Army you are instructed not to get these suits wet or the carbon-fibers will not work, yet Scent Blocker makes no mention of a break-down in the carbon, Hmmm???

I guess what it boils down to is do you have confidence in the product. If you do then by all means buy it, atleast you will feel confident while sitting on the stand. Kinda like me and my leather pants with the cut out; makes me feel sexy and that all the woman will want me! But hey, I feel confident even though you may think it’s “crock”.

shayla

Hell YES it’s a crock! If it worked like they say then NO deer would be able to smell you, period. Well, we all know they can so obviously the product doesn’t do what it’s intended to do. Another thing, they claim that it’s the carbon fibers that trap your scent, right? Well, then why not go to an Army surplus store and buy used MOP suits? The very same carbon fibers that supposedly trap scent are used to keep our soldiers safe from chemical gas attacks. I think you can pick em up for about $10….oh, and they come in hunter-friendly olive green! In the Army you are instructed not to get these suits wet or the carbon-fibers will not work, yet Scent Blocker makes no mention of a break-down in the carbon, Hmmm???

I guess what it boils down to is do you have confidence in the product. If you do then by all means buy it, atleast you will feel confident while sitting on the stand. Kinda like me and my leather pants with the cut out; makes me feel sexy and that all the woman will want me! But hey, I feel confident even though you may think it’s “crock”.

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

I have been useing the stuff since 2000 and I can not say that it totally covers up your scent but I think it covers it up enough that the deer have to get real close to smell you. I am curious about the people that think it is a crock are you useing the gloves and the head cover? I would never say forget the wind and hunt. This is just my opinion.

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

I have been useing the stuff since 2000 and I can not say that it totally covers up your scent but I think it covers it up enough that the deer have to get real close to smell you. I am curious about the people that think it is a crock are you useing the gloves and the head cover? I would never say forget the wind and hunt. This is just my opinion.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Quote:

I’m relaxed, laid back, it’s my nature.

The on-line evidence doesn’t support that very well. Some of the most highly charged threads in the last month had you right in the middle of them. This thread and the scentblocker thread from last year, the Joe Fellegy article thread, And The Fight for Hunter’s Point all had you squaring off with other posters. And you followed up a couple of days after the Hunter’s Point thread with a “report” that contained a link (authorized?) for Pete’s Retreat, a business on Mille Lacs you like.

I know its the internet and one can only guess what frame of mind a poster is in. But the evidence seems to suggest to me that you like to argue.

dd

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Quote:

I’m relaxed, laid back, it’s my nature.

The on-line evidence doesn’t support that very well. Some of the most highly charged threads in the last month had you right in the middle of them. This thread and the scentblocker thread from last year, the Joe Fellegy article thread, And The Fight for Hunter’s Point all had you squaring off with other posters. And you followed up a couple of days after the Hunter’s Point thread with a “report” that contained a link (authorized?) for Pete’s Retreat, a business on Mille Lacs you like.

I know its the internet and one can only guess what frame of mind a poster is in. But the evidence seems to suggest to me that you like to argue.

dd

schrumy
    Clearwater MN

Well put DD. I couldn’t agree more.

schrumy
    Clearwater MN

Well put DD. I couldn’t agree more.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

One thing that i will say is that Scent Blocker, Scentlok, etc, do not cover your entire scent! However, as Lip was saying, It gives ME the confidence that i need when a deer ends up going downwind of me when i have my stand set up for their other approach, that they wont get a whif of me. Even though i wear scent eliminating clothing, does not mean that i am 100% confident. I ALWAYS spray myself down before EVERY hunt, i never store my clothes in anything else than a plastic storage bin, i always shower before a hunt, ALWAYS hunt a stand w/ a good wind or don’t hunt it at all, never wear my clothes in the house, always dress outside and not in the truck, And the list goes on!!!

Every experienced bow hunter will say that wind direction is a MAJOR role when it comes getting close to big whitetails. Which is why i said before that i won’t hunt a stand unless the wind is in my favor!! And a lot of people dont watch the wind even though they wear scent blocker or scentlok and believe it’s a hoaks.

Which is why you should
    -always bathe before a hunt
    -always store your clothes in a container away from other odors
    -always spray down
    -AND WATCH THE WIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 179 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.