Is Scent Blocker a crock?

• brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I know I’ve seen this talked about somewhere here but what do you guys think? I’ll admit I fell for it hook line and sinker. I guess I can’t make an educated opinion but something tells me it’s a bunch of crap! However, I do believe that they make some very comfortable clothing and very hunter friendly. What do you guys think?

gregh
    s.e. minn

This should lead to some intresting chats. I to have bought into the hype, but you can NEVER forget the wind. I feel that if all it does is cut down a small percentage of human scent then its worth it. Anything is better then nothing.

gregh
    s.e. minn

This should lead to some intresting chats. I to have bought into the hype, but you can NEVER forget the wind. I feel that if all it does is cut down a small percentage of human scent then its worth it. Anything is better then nothing.

birddog
    Mn.

It’s a crock. Just put it in your dryer, good as new, ya right. The clothing needs way more heat than any houshold dryer can kick out. Comfortable maybe, absorb scent, not after sitting on a hanger in the store for months. Once those scents are in the clothing, there is no getting them out without something like 1500 degrees of heat to reactivate the carbon, might even be more. So rather than scent free they hold the stink. I read an article written by a chemist on this subject a while back, I’ll search for it. His logic made perfect sense.

BIRDDOG

birddog
    Mn.

It’s a crock. Just put it in your dryer, good as new, ya right. The clothing needs way more heat than any houshold dryer can kick out. Comfortable maybe, absorb scent, not after sitting on a hanger in the store for months. Once those scents are in the clothing, there is no getting them out without something like 1500 degrees of heat to reactivate the carbon, might even be more. So rather than scent free they hold the stink. I read an article written by a chemist on this subject a while back, I’ll search for it. His logic made perfect sense.

BIRDDOG

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Scent Blocker is a marketing success seeing how so many people purchased the stuff. However I have read and heard reports that it does not block your scent as it is advertised to do. There was quite a bit of discussion on this last fall here on IDA.

What it boils down to is unless you can totally cover your head and stop breathing that the deer are going to smell you. Most of your body heat escapes from your body through your head. Your breath also sends out the “I AM HERE” signal to the deer. Plus there are all those gadgets and equipment in your backpack that give off odors not to mention the smell of whatever you ate for breakfast or that cheese you cut on the way out to your stand.

While Scent Blocker might sell quality outdoor clothing so do several other companies for a great deal less money. You are better off buying new camo and spending the rest on Wildlife Research Scent Blocker wash and spray. These products have been proven to work.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Scent Blocker is a marketing success seeing how so many people purchased the stuff. However I have read and heard reports that it does not block your scent as it is advertised to do. There was quite a bit of discussion on this last fall here on IDA.

What it boils down to is unless you can totally cover your head and stop breathing that the deer are going to smell you. Most of your body heat escapes from your body through your head. Your breath also sends out the “I AM HERE” signal to the deer. Plus there are all those gadgets and equipment in your backpack that give off odors not to mention the smell of whatever you ate for breakfast or that cheese you cut on the way out to your stand.

While Scent Blocker might sell quality outdoor clothing so do several other companies for a great deal less money. You are better off buying new camo and spending the rest on Wildlife Research Scent Blocker wash and spray. These products have been proven to work.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Quote:

Wind is the key. Actually I am learning to use the wind to my advantage when hunting from a stand. Tom Miranda (who also used to endorse Scent Blocker but no longer does) sets his stands up so that his shooting lanes are directly down wind from him. I watched one of his shows on this a couple years ago and it made perfect sense. The deer don’t catch a whiff of him until they cross his shooting lane. When they do smell him they tend to stop to check things out giving him a chance to get an arrow into the vitals. That way deer coming from all other directions cannot smell the hunter until it is too-late. Instead of trying to block the human scent that cannot be blocked I am learning to use it in my favor. I still try to keep my scent to a minimum but knowing I’ll never be without it I might as well put it to good use.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Quote:

Wind is the key. Actually I am learning to use the wind to my advantage when hunting from a stand. Tom Miranda (who also used to endorse Scent Blocker but no longer does) sets his stands up so that his shooting lanes are directly down wind from him. I watched one of his shows on this a couple years ago and it made perfect sense. The deer don’t catch a whiff of him until they cross his shooting lane. When they do smell him they tend to stop to check things out giving him a chance to get an arrow into the vitals. That way deer coming from all other directions cannot smell the hunter until it is too-late. Instead of trying to block the human scent that cannot be blocked I am learning to use it in my favor. I still try to keep my scent to a minimum but knowing I’ll never be without it I might as well put it to good use.

Eyehunter

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Why buy the scent blocker wash and what not if the deer is going to smell you anyways?

I believe it holds your scent in or locks it in. Once you do have odor on the outside of the suit then I feel the spray is needed.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Why buy the scent blocker wash and what not if the deer is going to smell you anyways?

I believe it holds your scent in or locks it in. Once you do have odor on the outside of the suit then I feel the spray is needed.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

That self proclaimed Chemist also happened to have ties into another clothing manufacturer that happens to be a copmpetitor to carbon clothing manufacturers. This “chemist” (Mr. Corrigan) has also been invited to come see first hand for himself how the carbon clothing works and has denied this inviatation time after time. As I said last year, Does anyone know this guys credentials or alterior motives??? I thhink you would be suprised if you did any investigating on this guy what so ever. Kind of like believeing Mr. Joe Fellegy’s articles are 100% factual. Writers and jornalism can sway along way from the truth or facts.

Also Bird Dog, Scent Lok and Scent Blocker do not claim to “reactivate” the Carbon, however they do “regenerate” the carbon and this can be acheived at a much lower temperature. (ie temps that household dryers can and do achieve).

Is carbon clothing for everyone?? Definitley not! Does carbon clothing eliminate scent 100%? Again, Definitely not. Does it eliminate a percentage of scent that is transmitted? MOST DEFINITELY and not only does it increase my odds of harvesting Mr.Big. It is a huge part of my arsenal when I’m going against the best nose in the biz and very seldom do I hunt with out Carbon Clothing.

I could GO on and on wit this topic. I will search to find this TOPIC from last year and try to post a link here.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

That self proclaimed Chemist also happened to have ties into another clothing manufacturer that happens to be a copmpetitor to carbon clothing manufacturers. This “chemist” (Mr. Corrigan) has also been invited to come see first hand for himself how the carbon clothing works and has denied this inviatation time after time. As I said last year, Does anyone know this guys credentials or alterior motives??? I thhink you would be suprised if you did any investigating on this guy what so ever. Kind of like believeing Mr. Joe Fellegy’s articles are 100% factual. Writers and jornalism can sway along way from the truth or facts.

Also Bird Dog, Scent Lok and Scent Blocker do not claim to “reactivate” the Carbon, however they do “regenerate” the carbon and this can be acheived at a much lower temperature. (ie temps that household dryers can and do achieve).

Is carbon clothing for everyone?? Definitley not! Does carbon clothing eliminate scent 100%? Again, Definitely not. Does it eliminate a percentage of scent that is transmitted? MOST DEFINITELY and not only does it increase my odds of harvesting Mr.Big. It is a huge part of my arsenal when I’m going against the best nose in the biz and very seldom do I hunt with out Carbon Clothing.

I could GO on and on wit this topic. I will search to find this TOPIC from last year and try to post a link here.

gregh
    s.e. minn

This is going to get good!!!

gregh
    s.e. minn

This is going to get good!!!

phishirman
    Madison, WI

whether its a crock or not, I’ll never buy the stuff. I read the same article as bird dog and figured whats the point of taking the chance and waste money. I’ve always had the same ritual of washing my camo in scent free detergent or baking soda and putting them in a garbage bag with some fresh cedar branches. Once I get to the woods and get dressed, I take those same cedar branches and rub them on my clothes and hands and go hunting…Seems to work great for me

I should say though that i do wear a Scent-Lok hat and gloves but I wash them wayy more than they recommend and spray em down with the carbon shield..I smoke like a chimney on the way to the woods and my hands and my head/face are going to be the worst offenders for emitting any scent so I figure even if the article claiming scent block is bunk is true that it still holds in scent, I feel a lot better knowing that I can’t smell cigarette on my hands through those gloves

phishirman
    Madison, WI

whether its a crock or not, I’ll never buy the stuff. I read the same article as bird dog and figured whats the point of taking the chance and waste money. I’ve always had the same ritual of washing my camo in scent free detergent or baking soda and putting them in a garbage bag with some fresh cedar branches. Once I get to the woods and get dressed, I take those same cedar branches and rub them on my clothes and hands and go hunting…Seems to work great for me

I should say though that i do wear a Scent-Lok hat and gloves but I wash them wayy more than they recommend and spray em down with the carbon shield..I smoke like a chimney on the way to the woods and my hands and my head/face are going to be the worst offenders for emitting any scent so I figure even if the article claiming scent block is bunk is true that it still holds in scent, I feel a lot better knowing that I can’t smell cigarette on my hands through those gloves

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Ok, I’ll be the first. Scent-lok or other carbon based headgear is the real deal in my opinion. I’m one of those guys who is anal about scent control and the results are self evident. I’ve been in some of the heaviest hunted public areas of Illinois, and seen those results. These areas I hunted in college and the deer are tough. Wish I would have had this stuff back then. If you use the headgear and breathe through the material, you will see a difference. And you can’t forget about the rest. Carry your clothes in, set up your stand, then finish dressing. It can be 20 degrees and I’m in long underwear on the walk in. Don’t sweat the entire way in cause you put all your clothes on at the truck. Young, dumb deer can be killed by anyone. Old smart does and bucks are another story.

My sightings, particularly from downwind, are incredible. If your going to get rid of your stuff, let me know, I’ll take it off your hands!

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Ok, I’ll be the first. Scent-lok or other carbon based headgear is the real deal in my opinion. I’m one of those guys who is anal about scent control and the results are self evident. I’ve been in some of the heaviest hunted public areas of Illinois, and seen those results. These areas I hunted in college and the deer are tough. Wish I would have had this stuff back then. If you use the headgear and breathe through the material, you will see a difference. And you can’t forget about the rest. Carry your clothes in, set up your stand, then finish dressing. It can be 20 degrees and I’m in long underwear on the walk in. Don’t sweat the entire way in cause you put all your clothes on at the truck. Young, dumb deer can be killed by anyone. Old smart does and bucks are another story.

My sightings, particularly from downwind, are incredible. If your going to get rid of your stuff, let me know, I’ll take it off your hands!

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Just found this:

They did, however, talk about the “clothes dryer reactivation process” as being a gimmick and interviewed an employee from Scent Lok (Scent Lok is made in Cannon Falls, MN which is very close to the twin cities)who actually admitted that throwing your suit into the dryer wont actually reactivate it. When asked by the reporter why the tag on their product says the dryer reactivates it, he said that “reactivate” probably isn’t the “scientifically correct word, but it is a word that the genreal public will understand”, so that is why the tag on the suit says reactivate.

Anyway, the reporter bought a suit, took all the precautions as a scent safe hunter would (soaps, scent safe bag, rubber boots, etc.). She then went to the St. Paul Police Dog Training Facility. She put on the suit and all her gear from head to toe and proceeded to walk in a crossing, zig-zag pattern before climbing into one of the large containers to hide. At this time a police officer brough his dog out and let it go and within 15 seconds, the dog went right to the container that the reporter was hiding in. They tried this 5 other times and the dog found her every time within 20 seconds.
    When she showed this tape to the employee from Scent Lok, he tried to say that a dog and a deer are not using their noses in the same way. He said a dog is trained to sniff out EVERY little bit of human odor in order to solve crimes, whereas a deer is not walking through the woods sniffing out one specific thing, so they may let a little bit of human odor slide without going to it to detect what it is like a police dog would. In my opinion, a nose is a nose and no matter what it is looking for, if it can smell you than the suit is not doing what it says that it does.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Just found this:

They did, however, talk about the “clothes dryer reactivation process” as being a gimmick and interviewed an employee from Scent Lok (Scent Lok is made in Cannon Falls, MN which is very close to the twin cities)who actually admitted that throwing your suit into the dryer wont actually reactivate it. When asked by the reporter why the tag on their product says the dryer reactivates it, he said that “reactivate” probably isn’t the “scientifically correct word, but it is a word that the genreal public will understand”, so that is why the tag on the suit says reactivate.

Anyway, the reporter bought a suit, took all the precautions as a scent safe hunter would (soaps, scent safe bag, rubber boots, etc.). She then went to the St. Paul Police Dog Training Facility. She put on the suit and all her gear from head to toe and proceeded to walk in a crossing, zig-zag pattern before climbing into one of the large containers to hide. At this time a police officer brough his dog out and let it go and within 15 seconds, the dog went right to the container that the reporter was hiding in. They tried this 5 other times and the dog found her every time within 20 seconds.
    When she showed this tape to the employee from Scent Lok, he tried to say that a dog and a deer are not using their noses in the same way. He said a dog is trained to sniff out EVERY little bit of human odor in order to solve crimes, whereas a deer is not walking through the woods sniffing out one specific thing, so they may let a little bit of human odor slide without going to it to detect what it is like a police dog would. In my opinion, a nose is a nose and no matter what it is looking for, if it can smell you than the suit is not doing what it says that it does.

birddog
    Mn.

Quote:

Kind of like believeing Mr. Joe Fellegy’s articles are 100% factual.

Who said that?

Are really going to go there??

Totally different thread. Do I believe scent blocker clothing works? NO. Enough said? Or would you like to discuss last months thread??

BIRDDOG

birddog
    Mn.

Quote:

Kind of like believeing Mr. Joe Fellegy’s articles are 100% factual.

Who said that?

Are really going to go there??

Totally different thread. Do I believe scent blocker clothing works? NO. Enough said? Or would you like to discuss last months thread??

BIRDDOG

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I too wash my camo in scent killer wash, store them in garbage bags with unhusked walnuts (great cover scent). However I don’t rely on the detergent to remove the scent but instead it removes any UV reflectants in the fabric which is important since deer can pick up UV light. What might look like good clean natural smelling camo to humans might look like a bright white T-shirt to a deer because of the UV light reflecting off of the camo.

Like every tree stand hunter I’ve been busted by getting smelled. When this has happened to me it is almost always when the deer get within 30 yards or less from me. I’ve never had a deer smell me (that I am aware of) further away than 30 to 40 yards and most of the time it is far less than that. Most of the time when I get busted it is by a deer that is within 20 yards of my stand. That is why setitng up so my shooting lanes are in my scent path makes sense to me.

Wind is important as are thermals. One of my favorite stand locations is on top of a bluff that juts out into a river valley. In the early mornings my scent falls down the hillside (cold air falls) but once it warms up later in the morning my scent rises.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I too wash my camo in scent killer wash, store them in garbage bags with unhusked walnuts (great cover scent). However I don’t rely on the detergent to remove the scent but instead it removes any UV reflectants in the fabric which is important since deer can pick up UV light. What might look like good clean natural smelling camo to humans might look like a bright white T-shirt to a deer because of the UV light reflecting off of the camo.

Like every tree stand hunter I’ve been busted by getting smelled. When this has happened to me it is almost always when the deer get within 30 yards or less from me. I’ve never had a deer smell me (that I am aware of) further away than 30 to 40 yards and most of the time it is far less than that. Most of the time when I get busted it is by a deer that is within 20 yards of my stand. That is why setitng up so my shooting lanes are in my scent path makes sense to me.

Wind is important as are thermals. One of my favorite stand locations is on top of a bluff that juts out into a river valley. In the early mornings my scent falls down the hillside (cold air falls) but once it warms up later in the morning my scent rises.

Love to Troll

One thing I find rather humorous about the whole scent blocker concept is the guys who buy scentblocker garments but then:

– smoke in them
    – pump gas in them/walk in their “scent free” rubber boots at a gas station
    – drink coffee in them/spill coffee on them
    – eat breakfast in a greasy spoon diner in them and walk out reeking of bacon grease/cooking oil

Even if there is one scintilla of evidence that scent blocker clothing does absorb human scent, I’d be willing to bet that (provided one showers with a fragrance free soap before he goes out) most guys clothes smell worse than their body does, as does their breath and hair. Most “scent blocker” type garments recommend NOT washing them often, and anything that gets worn often/not washed is gonna get funky pretty quickly.

I try to wash my stuff (and myself) in a frangrance free detergent every time before I go out; that way I know my clothes can’t be too stinky. I have hunted with guys whose scent blocker clothes stink of cigar smoke/fried eggs/whatever… I’d rather smell like nothing in regular old clothes any day than have stinky “scent free” stuff.

It’s hard not to imagine that a large percentage of human scent comes from one’s exhalation (breath). ‘Suppose if I brushed my teeth with “Ultra Brite” I’d attract more does? (if anybody’s old enough to remember those commercials!)

Love to Troll

One thing I find rather humorous about the whole scent blocker concept is the guys who buy scentblocker garments but then:

– smoke in them
    – pump gas in them/walk in their “scent free” rubber boots at a gas station
    – drink coffee in them/spill coffee on them
    – eat breakfast in a greasy spoon diner in them and walk out reeking of bacon grease/cooking oil

Even if there is one scintilla of evidence that scent blocker clothing does absorb human scent, I’d be willing to bet that (provided one showers with a fragrance free soap before he goes out) most guys clothes smell worse than their body does, as does their breath and hair. Most “scent blocker” type garments recommend NOT washing them often, and anything that gets worn often/not washed is gonna get funky pretty quickly.

I try to wash my stuff (and myself) in a frangrance free detergent every time before I go out; that way I know my clothes can’t be too stinky. I have hunted with guys whose scent blocker clothes stink of cigar smoke/fried eggs/whatever… I’d rather smell like nothing in regular old clothes any day than have stinky “scent free” stuff.

It’s hard not to imagine that a large percentage of human scent comes from one’s exhalation (breath). ‘Suppose if I brushed my teeth with “Ultra Brite” I’d attract more does? (if anybody’s old enough to remember those commercials!)

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Oh ok thanks BirdDog!! Enough said

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Oh ok thanks BirdDog!! Enough said

big_g
    Isle, MN

I look at it this way. I may have “fell for” Scent Blocker, but what did it cost me, maybe $50-$60 more for the suit ? If it works even 1%, I am all for it. Also, I believe, if you “fell for” the blocking suit, it may cause you to pay a little better attention to your scent control in the first place. Nobody forces anyone to buy anything, it is each individuals choice. There are some people who do not believe in camoflauge !!! Oh, well to each their own. This same thread was posted last fall, and really got no one anywhere…

Good luck hunting, no matter how you smell or look !!

big g

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 179 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.